I hath returned (charter member)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

my res date is May 21, 2003, where do I go to get worshiped? I assume this is like a Batman Beyond situation, so if somebody could direct me to my clown children that'd be great too!

oh! and I can't buy land in auction... because I need to be a premium member to buy/own land... nu uh! I'm owed 4096 LL! did you assume we were all dead?! wait.. are we all dead? :(

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 5.08.23 AM.png

Edited by that Small
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Welcome back! c=

49 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Wait, was that really a thing in the early days, that users were promised/given 4096 sqm of mainland? 
If so, then I have missed out on so much by only first signing up in 2007 🙂

And yeah :P I found out about that too sometimes ago and I really wish I have something like that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Wait, was that really a thing in the early days, that users were promised/given 4096 sqm of mainland? 
If so, then I have missed out on so much by only first signing up in 2007 🙂

yep, it was a great investment.. bought a computer with profits from the tax changes/ land reset.. make about $100 a year from trading the 500L weekly.. Now I'm trying to buy land, but charter members have been looked over in the auction website coding.. at least that's what somebody else sugested 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, that Small said:

yep, it was a great investment.. bought a computer with profits from the tax changes/ land reset.. make about $100 a year from trading the 500L weekly.. Now I'm trying to buy land, but charter members have been looked over in the auction website coding.. at least that's what somebody else sugested 

May I suggest contacting support, or even file a ticket to get you your 4096sqm?
If all else fails, you could try finding Philip Rosedale's home address :-))))))

• Like 1

Well I wasn't here then but from the wiki it sounded like the 4096 came along with the one time biggish payment ($160?).  Did you also pay that money to OPT IN to the special offer?    If so then a ticket should get that fixed for you.

Another page said that this happened in 2009 BTW.   

Occasionally, an older Resident may be listed in his profile as being a 'Charter Member' of Second Life. This is a privilege extended to the oldest Residents who were willing to risk a larger upfront payment for never having to pay subscriptions ever again for life prior to version 1.2. This membership type was extended at the introduction of land tier to provide a free 4096sqm of land tier per Chartered Member.

• Like 1

as Frithgern says file a ticket. Linden should give you a 4096m, if the account hasn't already got it somewhere inworld. Check your landholdings. And/or your groups as the tier might be contributed

Edited by Mollymews
hasn't
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well I wasn't here then but from the wiki it sounded like the 4096 came along with the one time biggish payment ($160?).  Did you also pay that money to OPT IN to the special offer?    If so then a ticket should get that fixed for you.

Occasionally, an older Resident may be listed in his profile as being a 'Charter Member' of Second Life. This is a privilege extended to the oldest Residents who were willing to risk a larger upfront payment for never having to pay subscriptions ever again for life prior to version 1.2. This membership type was extended at the introduction of land tier to provide a free 4096sqm of land tier per Chartered Member.

yeah, the allowed land holdings aren't the issue, those are there.. I never used them.. the problem is that only "premium members" can use the auction, because they're the only ones that can own land... and then there's me, hello LL!

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

as Frithgern says file a ticket. Linden should give you a 4096m, if the account hasn't already got it somewhere inworld. Check your landholdings. And/or your groups as the tier might be contributed

I have filed a ticked here. no land holdings anywhere.. it's just the auction issue, I'd like to participate since other options are trash. unless you know a guy/place? heh

Edited by that Small
  • Like 1

LL do still recognize Beta charter accounts.. at least in billing terms and scope may differ to the above discussion.

" beta charter accounts (no longer available but still recognized)"

Per LL's Billing Policies for Second Life.

Also still on the Wiki (last update 2009) - > http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/What_is_a_Charter_Membership

I can't find anything from LL on removing Charter rights.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 8:51 AM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Welcome Back!  I have to ask what has made you try SL again after all this time?

i would go the ticket route as LL are the only ones will can really help.

The last 5 years my computer hasn't been good enough. I just bought a new one with my corona money. I have created a ticket. 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 4:52 PM, Chic Aeon said:

V1.2 was not 2009. It couldn't have been since 1.5 was 2005.

Charter memberships date back to 2003/4 and they always had the 4096. LL stopped offering charters in 2004.

Welcome back. As a '06 relative oldbie, it's venerable geezers such as yourself that keeps the rest of our egos in check (sorta). And I can say with great certainty that no similar offer was available since I joined. And I think it's kinda great that y'all still exist and can continue to claim your benefit. I wish something similar were available now, but know it'll never happen.

To be honest, though, I kinda wish they'd specified that you need to login every couple years to retain that tier-free status. Or maybe you should be able to login again at any time and reclaim that status, but previously owned land may be returned to circulation after a year or so. Cuz I gotta say: some of you guys left quite a mess.

I'm puzzled though and surprised about the auction thing. Auctions are odd things these days, but still it's strange you'd have trouble bidding on them. Is there any sort of error message or other hint about how you're being excluded? Bidders do need a verified e-mail address and sufficient L$ balance to cover your bid, but I'm guessing those aren't problems for you. (Or is it something altogether different, like... I dunno... maybe it accepts your bid, you win the auction, and then it refuses to award it to you?)

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Welcome back. As a '06 relative oldbie, it's venerable geezers such as yourself that keeps the rest of our egos in check (sorta). And I can say with great certainty that no similar offer was available since I joined. And I think it's kinda great that y'all still exist and can continue to claim your benefit. I wish something similar were available now, but know it'll never happen.

To be honest, though, I kinda wish they'd specified that you need to login every couple years to retain that tier-free status. Or maybe you should be able to login again at any time and reclaim that status, but previously owned land may be returned to circulation after a year or so. Cuz I gotta say: some of you guys left quite a mess.

I'm puzzled though and surprised about the auction thing. Auctions are odd things these days, but still it's strange you'd have trouble bidding on them. Is there any sort of error message or other hint about how you're being excluded? Bidders do need a verified e-mail address and sufficient L$ balance to cover your bid, but I'm guessing those aren't problems for you. (Or is it something altogether different, like... I dunno... maybe it accepts your bid, you win the auction, and then it refuses to award it to you?)

ha, thanks for that! I'm very grateful to still have these perks. I remember hearing I did need to log at some point, so I have been logging in every year.. there was an error message, it said only premium members could use the auction, because only premium members can own land.. when I went to change account (only out of curiosity, since id' never give this up) I couldn't even change it if I wanted to. 

I'm curious about these big messes? can you point me in a direction? I'm pretty overwhelmed with how big this is now, I mean... I was already big 10 year ago.. looks like there's a lot more private island now. finding a big chunk (4096) of mainland at a reasonable price is almost impossible. I think the auction error is just a coding oversight, how many of us charter members actually still log in and need land as well.

my ticket has been open since the 12th.. I keep missing the live chat time, but I have a feeling that's gonna give me a "premium member" error also... I'd be a lot more upset if I Haden't got my money back 20 times over already ;) 

On 6/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

LL do still recognize Beta charter accounts.. at least in billing terms and scope may differ to the above discussion.

" beta charter accounts (no longer available but still recognized)"

Per LL's Billing Policies for Second Life.

Also still on the Wiki (last update 2009) - > http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/What_is_a_Charter_Membership

I can't find anything from LL on removing Charter rights.

no! not my rights! ;) 

no rights were removed, I still have everything.. I just can't access their new land auction, probably because my account type wasn't programmed in. I opened a ticket on the 12th..

1 hour ago, that Small said:

I'm curious about these big messes? can you point me in a direction? I'm pretty overwhelmed with how big this is now, I mean... I was already big 10 year ago.. looks like there's a lot more private island now. finding a big chunk (4096) of mainland at a reasonable price is almost impossible. I think the auction error is just a coding oversight, how many of us charter members actually still log in and need land as well.

Just wander around the "color" regions of the old continent ("Sansara"), and the even earlier regions: there are lots of ancient landholdings with very "experimental" builds on them and owners who haven't been in-world in a decade or so. Rarely all in one big 4096sq.m parcel though, but I always figured that's just how the Ancient Ones spent their perpetual tier. You can do the same... and once they figure out your "Super Premium" status, you might want to include a Linden Home among your holdings.

Or, if you do want 4096 all in one piece, you know, auctions aren't the only way to get that: You can just find any abandoned land (and there's lots, in big chunks) and ask Support to carve out the part you want to buy. Especially if it's a reasonable cut, leaving saleable shape(s) behind, they'll very likely do it for you, charging (I think) just L$1/sq.m. (Not in all areas, but most areas with large abandoned parcels would be eligible.)

Personally, I'd look around the northern "Heterocera Atoll" continent, but there's plenty of abandoned land on all the continents. 

• Like 1

I am curious if the software would allow you to purchase land from another resident.

I am curious if you could create an alt account, create a group, put the alt in the group with you, donate tier to the group then buy land for the group.

• Like 1

From the Auctions FAQ:

“Can anyone in Second Life buy land in the auctions?

No. Only residents that have Premium memberships are eligible to participate in auctions.  Your account must also have a Verified email address and a Linden dollar (L$) balance sufficient to make a bid.”

As a Charter Member you are still able to buy land as you have the 4096 allocation, but just not via the auctions.

If you’re wanting to use the auctions, make an alt and buy it a premium membership. But honestly, I think you’d be much better off just looking at the yellow for sale parcels on the world map, or the sale listings, and buying a parcel from that, or finding some abandoned land and submitting a ticket to buy it.

Edited by Sister Nova
World map omission
  • Like 1

They had quite a bit of trouble with their rewrite of the auctions -- had a few issues upon initial release that caused them to pause it all again.  Given that, I'm not so sure they are going to want to touch the code anytime soon to allow the 'charter' designation.  Even if they considered modifying the code, there is currently a huge focus on getting their migration to the cloud completed, especially now that they no longer can create new regions for folks.

Thus, I'd go with the other suggestion of just buying something.  The "abandoned land" option is a great way to go if you can't find a 4096 that you like for a reasonable price.  Abandoned land that is not deemed highly desirable can be purchased directly from LL at 1 L$ per sqm, via a Support ticket.  Abandoned land that is deemed very desirable will typically go to the auctions, but given your status you might even be able to get that.  Open up the map and start clicking - it will tell you if the location is abandoned.  Also, if you are wandering around looking for stuff, I think if you select the option to color the land by owner, the Abandoned land shows as purple (or that might just be a Firestorm viewer thing).

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:00 AM, that Small said:

I can't buy land in auction... because I need to be a premium member to buy/own land... nu uh! I'm owed 4096 LL! did you assume we were all dead?

No, we did not assume you're all dead ... there are more of you than you'd probably think (and we're grateful to each and every one).

You certainly should be able to use auctions; if you can't, please capture a screen shot of whatever error you get and file a Jira so that we can fix it.

• Like 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.