"Events"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see what you mean: At best they're bottom-feeder Classifieds for adult venues.

It's not as if anybody is advertising lectures, gallery openings, and poetry readings. Maybe they would if it weren't all Adult non-events?

I'm not sure raising the price would help, though.

"Gallery openings" is kind of illustrative of what I think an "event" should be: A limited duration social occasion. So, while a gallery exhibit may be new for days, seems to me that an opening event cannot last longer than two hours. And there can't be more than one of them a day, really, without becoming something other than what I'd consider an "event"... but to allow for timezone differences, maybe.

I haven't scheduled an event in a decade, so take all this with a grain of salt, but: What if events were limited to two hours, and there could be multiple of them in a day, but the first one in a 24 hour period costs whatever they cost now, and the second one cost 10 times that amount, and the third one 100 times the amount, etc? Or instead of powers of 10, maybe powers of 5 would be more realistic?

The feature needs something to incentivize Event use for actual events, and to discourage these scams using Events to promote what should be Classified ads.

15 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I haven't scheduled an event in a decade, so take all this with a grain of salt, but: What if events were limited to two hours, and there could be multiple of them in a day, but the first one in a 24 hour period costs whatever they cost now, and the second one cost 10 times that amount, and the third one 100 times the amount, etc? Or instead of powers of 10, maybe powers of 5 would be more realistic?

I really like that idea.

Gotta make sure it's tied to the parcel though, or people will just use alts and/or change enough words to bypass it like they used to with the spam filters.

16 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The feature needs something to incentivize Event use for actual events, and to discourage these scams using Events to promote what should be Classified ads.

Yeah, it's clear that LL didn't even look at the events when they made that change. Heard us complain, made a change, but didn't really look at the problem. Typical LL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.