Home of the Week/Month

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a further divertissement this summer, Ziva Zwanger is running a little contest each month to name a "Home of the Week" and "Home of the Month".  I learned about it from a notice in the Bellisseria Citizens group.

THIS IS JUST FOR FUN!!!  And, very much like our Home & Gardens thread as well as the Home & Garden Expo regions, it's a way for more folks to learn about cool decorating stuff.  I don't know how long Ziva intends to do this; presumably until she gets busy with something else, lol.

It is NOT an occasion to get all competitive.   Personally, I regard this as just a cute way for people who put effort into their decorating to show it to more people.  I seriously doubt that there will be any particular effort to be 'fair' or 'objective'; no panel of qualified judges, etc.. lol.  But, thank goodness, there is also no mention of getting a big group involved in choosing homes.  I say 'thank goodness' because then it would immediately devolve into another flavor of the incredibly boring popularity contests that nearly all SL contests become.  That could happen anyway, but perhaps it will be fun until it does!

You can submit homes every month, even the same home over and over.  But because there's only a small group running this, maybe even just Ziva, one shouldn't get bothered if one's homes are never chosen.  We all have different styles and goals with our builds, and my style may just not appeal to Ziva, for example..  Personally, I prefer sharing in the Home & Garden thread, because we see a LOT more homes there than something twice a month can 'spotlight', and nobody is curating what we see.   But, maybe some homes that haven't been shared in the forums will come to light!

I brought this up - well, yes, because there are a LOT of great decorators here in the forums - but also because the first home chosen is that of our very own @Orfeu Miles!!!   (It may seem presumptuous to say he's 'our own' since he's only resumed posting lately, but Orfeu is actually a forum alumni from the beforetimes, back when the Forum Cartel was in its youth).   Congrats!! 

Orfeu shared his log home in the Home & Garden thread in May.  

Ziva's website for this endeavor:

https://bellisseriahomespotlight.wordpress.com/2020/06/08/bellisseria-home-of-the-week-june-2020/

Read the 'about' for her own description of what she's doing.  I'll message her about this thread; perhaps she'll visit and add her own perspective.

• Like 5

Great idea!

I wish I had the time to even contemplate this! I've been so ridiculously busy with work. I'm inworld a lot but find my energy isn't geared to decorating at the end of the day. Lately anyway.

I did finally get around to the houseboat, however, and that one is nearly photo ready. Will look at the notecard for more details. But I agree I prefer showcasing here on the forum also. I like the collaboration that happens between us, tips/tricks. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Great idea!

I wish I had the time to even contemplate this! I've been so ridiculously busy with work. I'm inworld a lot but find my energy isn't geared to decorating at the end of the day. Lately anyway.

I did finally get around to the houseboat, however, and that one is nearly photo ready. Will look at the notecard for more details. But I agree I prefer showcasing here on the forum also. I like the collaboration that happens between us, tips/tricks. 

Well, looking at your work at the Expo, I hope you find the time someday, because your style is just great :) :) (and so, I can start stealing ideas again)....

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm gonna bet that this does not end well. 🍿

The thread, or the awards?  The key to both is to keep it lighthearted.

What she's doing is very similar to the Home & Garden Expo demo homes.  Each homeowner chosen provides a 'style card' for their place, to help others with their own decorating.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

The thread, or the awards?  The key to both is to keep it lighthearted.

What she's doing is very similar to the Home & Garden Expo demo homes.  Each homeowner chosen provides a 'style card' for their place, to help others with their own decorating.

The awards. If there is a way for someone to get their pants in a bunch, there will be drama. I note that the blog includes tips on how the home owner might do things better. I just think that won't end all that well, but time will tell!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The awards. If there is a way for someone to get their pants in a bunch, there will be drama. I note that the blog includes tips on how the home owner might do things better. I just think that won't end all that well, but time will tell!

Just when there is already so much negativity in RL. This could have been a little light distraction for some...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Blue Luckstone said:

Just when there is already so much negativity in RL. This could have been a little light distraction for some...

Hey, who said it won't be? I'm just saying the criticism of people's decorating could cause issues.

If it does, then yeah, I will personally find it amusing. I do think it's not the best idea to criticize the homes one is blogging. YMMV, obviously.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I brought this up - well, yes, because there are a LOT of great decorators here in the forums - but also because the first home chosen is that of our very own @Orfeu Miles!!!   (It may seem presumptuous to say he's 'our own' since he's only resumed posting lately, but Orfeu is actually a forum alumni from the beforetimes, back when the Forum Cartel was in its youth).   Congrats!! 

Orfeu shared his log home in the Home & Garden thread in May.  

Ziva's website for this endeavor:

https://bellisseriahomespotlight.wordpress.com/2020/06/08/bellisseria-home-of-the-week-june-2020/

Read the 'about' for her own description of what she's doing.  I'll message her about this thread; perhaps she'll visit and add her own perspective.

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Thanks Nika...and yeah I am something of a forum oldbie...only recently investing time in this new-fangled forum thing.

It is a fun and light-hearted thing to enter, and it is always interesting to get a different opinion on your decor.

Also I now have a brass plaque to display....which is an awesome new way to bore visitors to my home.

You are all welcome to come and have a peek...except Sylvia lol
Sylvia lives 10 yards from me...so she can use her binoculars :)

• Haha 1

Hi All,

Nika - thank you so much for sharing this here.  I have never participated in the forums, so I'm a hella noob here.  I need to get my footing and figure out how it all works but once I do I'll share the blog here as well. Yes this is definitely just for fun.  The idea came about in the Bellisseria Discord channel when someone suggested having a 'House of the Week' to show off what people use to decorate their homes with so others can get ideas/tips/tricks for their own homes.  So we jazzed it up a little by giving out a little free award thing (I am a mesh content creator so I just whipped up some fun little awards to give away.  Nothing fancy, just to add to the fun factor).  It's not aimed at being a popularity competition or anything like that.  People simply submit their homes, I run around and have a peek and pluck 2 names out of the list.  I'm not judging based on my preferences or preferred stylings (most, if not all, houses submitted are way out of my preferred decorating taste and that is perfectly fine because this isn't about me.  My style is dark/gothic/witchy - not the everyday kind of stylings most have :D) I just simply pick two names out at random and keep all the others in the list for the next month so that I can eventually get around to everyone - hopefully!

Sylvia - I appreciate honest feedback, so thank you for your comments.  I agree wholeheartedly with you that things could end badly if someone kicks up a stink that their house was not chosen.  But I err on the side of - we are all adults here, this is not a popularity contest it's just something fun to do while we are all cooped up inside from the covid crisis.  Each house that was submitted gets a notecard from me thanking them for letting me take a tour of their home.  Letting them know if their 'home' style was selected for that month (ie: Traditional, Victorian, Houseboat, etc) and if it wasn't that they are kept in the list for the following month.  It's just  based on the number of submissions received.  This way I'm not seen as playing favourite to one particular style.  If the main house style submitted is camper trailers, then that is the style for the month.  I'm hoping that this will help with people maybe feeling left out.  At the end of the day I can't keep everyone happy, but I'll do my best to make sure every sort of home is included.  As for me listing things "the home owner might do better",or "criticising the home I am blogging about" that is not my intention.  I'm no expert when it comes to Home Decorating and I will be the first to announce that.  I just thought the blog would be a little more fun to read with some ramblings from me instead of just a slew of pictures. I in no way want to pick apart anyones decorating but just speak about what I see.  That Orfeu decorates with a minimalist styling - nothing bad about that; that it reminded me of a bachelor pad - my own RL home reminds of that as well lol.  Maybe going forward I will check my writings to make sure they aren't seen as criticising but just fun banter which is what I originally was going for.  

Orfeu - thank you once again for letting me come and traipse through your home. I hope you enjoy your bragging rights with your little plaque :D

Edited by Ziva Zwanger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ziva Zwanger said:

That Orfeu decorates with a minimalist styling - nothing bad about that; that it reminded me of a bachelor pad - my own RL home reminds of that as well lol.  Maybe going forward I will check my writings to make sure they aren't seen as criticising but just fun banter which is what I originally was going for.  

Orfeu - thank you once again for letting me come and traipse through your home. I hope you enjoy your bragging rights with your little plaque :D

Thank you Ziva...minimalist...and Bachelor pad...was EXACTLY the style I was aiming for,  so I was pleased that you noticed that... and I enjoyed your commentary and reactions.
For my first week in my home the Kitchen consisted of a marble slab with a Microwave on it, then I thought...hmmm...wait...maybe that is TOO bachelor pad :)

• Haha 3

There's an award???

Screw that. I'm the least competitive person around. I don't need no stinkin' award. I thought it was just for funzies 😄

EDIT: Ok caught up on the thread now. Seems it is for fun so I'll try and finish my houseboat, which is the one closest to being complete. 

Edited by Elora Lunasea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.