IM...NAKED? X_X

Peachilee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, im very very new to second life. A total noob.

No experience with this site at all. When i first logged on, i noticed how many nude&sexy avatars i saw and kind of just thought it was the norm, it being a more adult site n all. But apparently (and what a relief) this isn't usually allowed in many rooms. Anyway to keep it short, i myself after 2 days finally got a decent - ish outfit,head,hair etc etc. However, that sadly didn't matter since after joining a chat room for newcomers i was quickly told to 'cover up.' Now i did have a bra/top on so i thought maybe she meant it was too sexy but nope. She informed me i was completely naked. And instead of actually helping she kept sending me patronising smiles..which sucked because i wasn't doing this on purpose x_x

So to anyone out there reading this, how on earth do i fix this? I have the usual SL viewer and thats all i know..PLEASE HELP. I dont think i can walk around anymore knowing i could potentially be flashing half of second lifes players.

Hi Peachilee, it's hard to say due to the variety of kinds of clothing available these days (applier, BOM, unrigged and rigged mesh, etc). If you'd like some assistance, feel free to give me a nudge in-world.

11 hours ago, Orwar said:

Hi Peachilee, it's hard to say due to the variety of kinds of clothing available these days (applier, BOM, unrigged and rigged mesh, etc). If you'd like some assistance, feel free to give me a nudge in-world.

Thats super nice thank you! 

Lately that has happened with my alt wearing a mesh body. Last time i was doing some hunt and started zooming around the place, 'cause it was hard to find the thing and got tired of walking around searching and i looked from far at my avatar and it looked naked, but when i looked closer i saw the clothes again. Why the clothes disappear when looking from some distance?

Maybe it's my graphic settings?

Edited by Ansiri
graphic settings
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ansiri said:

Lately that has happened with my alt wearing a mesh body. Last time i was doing some hunt and started zooming around the place, 'cause it was hard to find the thing and got tired of walking around searching and i looked from far at my avatar and it looked naked, but when i looked closer i saw the clothes again. Why the clothes disappear when looking from some distance?

This has to do with the clothing's mesh LOD. If you zoom out far enough, the mesh will be displayed in a lower polygon version, to save rendering weight. This happens to some, but not all apparel, depending on what settings were used when the creator uploaded the mesh. It can also be affected by your settings, specifically the LOD factor you use; whilst some creators say that you should raise it to accommodate their design choices, I'm of the mind that you should never have to go above 2, and that it should generally be kept somewhere between 1 and 2, to avoid unnecessary lag.

To avoid appearing naked at a distance though, it may be worthwhile using your body's alphas or, if using BOM, clothing specific alphas, to ensure no private bits end up accidentally on display.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are two easy explanations for why you might appear naked to this individual, assuming your clothes are mesh (3D, not clothing layers).

1. You've attached your clothing to your HUD. Your HUD is only visible to you, even if your clothes appear to be worn around your body.

2. That person went out of their way to derender your clothes, and is messing with you by telling you that you have no clothes on. They might even show screenshots, which are a lie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

That person went out of their way to derender your clothes

Wait, is this actually a thing? I never tried it because I figured you'd just end up derendering the avatar completely. :|

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Wait, is this actually a thing? I never tried it because I figured you'd just end up derendering the avatar completely. :|

Some people love derendering clothes on people and taking pictures / jerking in the distance. Meanwhile I like using alphas to leave out all the fun bits.

compressed_45336-wonka-you-get-nothing-g

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Some people love derendering clothes on people and masturbating in the distance. Meanwhile I like using alphas to leave out all the fun bits.

I mean, I've heard people say that they do that, but in the context they've said it I've just rolled my eyes and thought they were being immature jesters. Guess I'm never letting Neph leave home without using alphas again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Orwar said:

This has to do with the clothing's mesh LOD. If you zoom out far enough, the mesh will be displayed in a lower polygon version, to save rendering weight. This happens to some, but not all apparel, depending on what settings were used when the creator uploaded the mesh. It can also be affected by your settings, specifically the LOD factor you use; whilst some creators say that you should raise it to accommodate their design choices, I'm of the mind that you should never have to go above 2, and that it should generally be kept somewhere between 1 and 2, to avoid unnecessary lag.

To avoid appearing naked at a distance though, it may be worthwhile using your body's alphas or, if using BOM, clothing specific alphas, to ensure no private bits end up accidentally on display.

Thank you for advices.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Some people love derendering clothes on people and taking pictures / jerking in the distance. Meanwhile I like using alphas to leave out all the fun bits.

compressed_45336-wonka-you-get-nothing-g

But with bikinis can't use alphas, or maybe it is possible, have to check the alphas next time, don't remember now how they're made with that mesh body.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ansiri said:

But with bikinis can't use alphas, or maybe it is possible, have to check the alphas next time, don't remember now how they're made with that mesh body.

If you're using BOM, you could make your own alphas for it, but if it's a minimalistic bikini it may be difficult . . . But then I think it's one of the things that I think would benefit the most from custom alpha layers, as there tends to be clipping at the crotch that you can't do much about.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

There are two easy explanations for why you might appear naked to this individual, assuming your clothes are mesh (3D, not clothing layers).

1. You've attached your clothing to your HUD. Your HUD is only visible to you, even if your clothes appear to be worn around your body.

2. That person went out of their way to derender your clothes, and is messing with you by telling you that you have no clothes on. They might even show screenshots, which are a lie.

I never thought about this before. interesting.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

#2 is what I was thinking...it's griefing a newbie.  

I've heard many stories were newbies are griefed on their first few day or days on Second Life.  I was griefed my first day and was attacked by Zombies.  Of course, the Zombies couldn't really hurt me, but still it was griefing.   On the 2nd day of SL, I was engaged to be married.  lol

Second Life is a crazy wacky place at times.  Welcome to Second Life!  It should be much more mellower from now on.  Why some newbies are griefed, I don't know.  But, I've heard many stories.  

As far as people being nude, yes avatars will rez nude and then our graphics cards start to put the clothes on.  BOM may be a little different but I'm not sure yet if we will all rez nude with BOM or not.

@Wulfie Reanimator  I've never heard of #1?  

Also, as a newbie you may not be able to go everywhere.  Some sims will send you back until you are a 30-day-old avatar.  Look in the Destination Guide for newbie friendly places.  Some places do not like newbies so look for newbie-friendly.  Go to London City and ask for newbie friendly places.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

As far as people being nude, yes avatars will rez nude and then our graphics cards start to put the clothes on.  BOM may be a little different but I'm not sure yet if we will all rez nude with BOM or not.

BOM is a "complete set" of all the layers you're wearing. If you're wearing an underwear layer, you'll never appear completely nude.

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I've never heard of #1?  

Allow me to demonstrate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

If you are using BOM and wearing system layer clothing or underwear, it's impossible to appear nude. The bake layer is a composite of every layer you're wearing, flattened into one single texture. Everything hidden under the top layer of system clothing will literally no longer exist in that bake texture.

So if someone is wearing system clothing (BOM or classic), and someone else says they are naked, the someone else is blatantly lying.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

If you are using BOM and wearing system layer clothing or underwear, it's impossible to appear nude. The bake layer is a composite of every layer you're wearing, flattened into one single texture. Everything hidden under the top layer of system clothing will literally no longer exist in that bake texture.

So if someone is wearing system clothing (BOM or classic), and someone else says they are naked, the someone else is blatantly lying.

This might be true  with BoM but years ago, before mesh, I spent a week where only I could see my system clothes including my alphas.  I thought my friends were joking but they sent me pictures of my naked avie.   I logged in an alt and she saw me naked as well while i was dressed normally on my own screen.  This lasted until the next week when SL did it's weekly shutdown and update.  I was able to wear a prim barrel and have people see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amanda Dallin said:

This might be true  with BoM but years ago, before mesh, I spent a week where only I could see my system clothes including my alphas.  I thought my friends were joking but they sent me pictures of my naked avie.   I logged in an alt and she saw me naked as well while i was dressed normally on my own screen.  This lasted until the next week when SL did it's weekly shutdown and update.  I was able to wear a prim barrel and have people see it.

That sounds like something went badly wrong at the server end.

There used to be a similar issue years ago with worn items not updating changes correctly if you logged out of one viewer and logged back in with a different one, then logged back in to the original.  For example, if I logged out of firestorm wearing Outfit A, then log into the official viewer and changed into Outfit B, then log back into Firestorm, I would appear to be wearing outfit A again. I haven't run across this problem lately though (switching between Firestorm and Black Dragon).

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

A 3rd reason is what is referred to as "ghosting".  Sometimes during a teleport between regions an attached item becomes detached upon landing/appearing in the new area, but your viewer doesn't detect that.  So your viewer will still render it, but nobody else can see it.  One clue that an object has been ghosted is you can't take it off.  In the past the solution was to relog and get your viewer to refresh your worn object, but with some recent viewer updates there is now an option on the Avatar health menu to "refresh attachments" which will force the viewer to recheck what's worn and replace/re-attach those that are not actually there.    Most often ghost happens with bodies and huds but I've seen it with other attached objects as well.  Most of the time when somebody tells me that can't see a something I know I'm wearing, my first act is to refresh.  Ditto if a hud is suddenly not working and I know I'm in a script enabled area.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:12 PM, FairreLilette said:

@Wulfie Reanimator  I've never heard of #1?  

Wulfie already showed an example, but let me add  a bit to that, if you are using Firestorm or another RLV enabled viewer.   There is a bit of a quirk in the RLV code that allows people to dress and/or attach items to your avatar from a special directory.  In the original implementation, you had to "tell" your viewer where the object was to be attached by renaming it with the attach point  added (ex: fancy gloves (left hand) ) or in the case of no mod items in a folder whose name was or included the attach point. In more recent version of this feature this is not strictly required anymore but the code for it remains. Where this becomes significant is if you try to organize outfits into logical folder it can result in 'unexpected' behavior if you're not fully familiar with this behavior/standard

Case in point.  I was setting up some outfit folders and so I made the parent folder something like "day casual outfit 1"  and to be neat and orderly, I created the following subfolders : top, pants, shoes and proceeded to put in the appropriate  clothing I wanted associated with that outfit.  So, when I wore "day casual outfit 1"  everything was attached as expected but because the one folder was named "top" Firestorm dutifully attached the shirt to the hud TOP (keyword) instead of my body (at whatever slot).  I saw myself just fine but nobody could see the shirt.  It took me a while to crack that one. 

Moral of the story, don't put wearables in folders named top, bottom, or center.  and because Firestorm (and I guess other viewers) remember the last slot an item was attached to, simply wearing/adding it didn't fix it even after I renamed the folder to shirt.  I had to manually right click and attached so some point on my body.   After that everything was back to normal.

Edited by Anna Salyx
dropped words/clarifying point.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.