"not allowed to ignore member"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

You can def ignore Moles.

I know a fellow person who posts whom I would never ignore as her posts are thoughtful, intelligent and interesting.  But if I hover over her name I couldn't ignore her (she isn't LL).  So again without giving details away - I know there are some people who must have moderator or legacy permissions on their account that prohibit us ignoring them.

when to ignore is in the eye of the beholder.  Not all posts are disagreeable to some, but are to others.

I tend to just block those that I don't want to see, even inworld, but doing this is what prompted this discussion thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

I actually find it quite disturbing that we can't block certain people, so I've pinged to Patch too, hopefully get an answer.  Maybe Oz can advise if it's a glitch thing.

@Oz Linden

Sorry, I build SL but don't know much about this forum software.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

when to ignore is in the eye of the beholder.  Not all posts are disagreeable to some, but are to others.

I tend to just block those that I don't want to see, even inworld, but doing this is what prompted this discussion thread.

Well my test is complete - I know you haven't blocked me! (only joking) .... yet.

I think Luna might have found the way to tell - the person I was talking about too is noted as an Advisor.

16 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I know a fellow person who posts whom I would never ignore as her posts are thoughtful, intelligent and interesting.  But if I hover over her name I couldn't ignore her (she isn't LL).  So again without giving details away - I know there are some people who must have moderator or legacy permissions on their account that prohibit us ignoring them.

Interesting. I just did some testing and have now run across the same thing. I'm chalking it up to forum glitch or, yeah, legacy permissions, but who knows. 

ETA: I also checked some of those who still have Advisor tags, and can ignore them if I want to. The plot thickens!

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Interesting. I just did some testing and have now run across the same thing. I'm chalking it up to forum glitch or, yeah, legacy permissions, but who knows. 

right,

if you see what I saw, then you see the potential scary part.

20 minutes ago, TVTuner said:

There are 47 in list returned when I query the "Advisor" role and only 1 of those is immutable.

the issue has no connection to the role of advisor. It's in fact not even a role but a (earlier) earning by amount of posts and votes on the old Answers forum.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kristin Linden said:

Well that certainly sounds strange. If you ever come across someone that you cannot use the Ignore feature on that is *not* a Linden, or any other sort of Admin, please submit a Support Case with the name of the account that you cannot block and we can take a closer look! Of course if you have already done so, we thank you and will get to the case as soon as we can 🙂

Hi Kristin,

Thank you for replying, please could i point you to my inworld message?

Just for clarification to Governance ie to hope that I'm not about to be sanctioned for this rather long winded post - this post all came about as I tried to pro-actively block  a user who's posts I prefer not to see in any instance - as per the long standing advice issued inworld as well as the forums to simply block those who's opinions you disagree with, as I'm sure you can confirm.

Ps happy birthday.

Edited by Adamburp Adamczyk
added some waffle.
  • Like 1

That's weird, I can't find Kristin's post you quoted above.

Anyway I have a pretty good idea what's happening here.
When the forum was changed over to Invision, I'm sure you'll remember that it was immediately spammed to death by spam bots - mostly fake Microsoft tech help links.
Because of that, a small number of Residents were given the right to block accounts from posting (no other rights or powers), with strict instructions that it was only to be used to block the spam bots, never to be used on an actual Resident, even if they were "spamming" or posting adverts or otherwise breaking forum rules etc.
I was one of the Residents who had the block posting ability.
However, someone quickly discovered they couldn't block me on the forum & complained about it rather loudly (can't find the thread now but it was explained to them on the thread why it happened so that's why I decided it was ok to post this here).  So I reported it & the cause turned out to be because I had "mod rights".
LL had just implemented a fix to stop the spam bots anyway so my mod rights were removed as they were no longer needed.
It's possible this Resident you can't block retained their mod rights or they were given mod rights again to help curb the recent spammer that's been plaguing the forums of late.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I've just seen this happen, too, along with Oz's earlier posts, though the one of his on this page is still visible to me.

Edited by KT Kingsley
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Anyway I have a pretty good idea what's happening here.
When the forum was changed over to Invision, I'm sure you'll remember that it was immediately spammed to death by spam bots - mostly fake Microsoft tech help links.
Because of that, a small number of Residents were given the right to block accounts from posting (no other rights or powers), with strict instructions that it was only to be used to block the spam bots, never to be used on an actual Resident, even if they were "spamming" or posting adverts or otherwise breaking forum rules etc.
I was one of the Residents who had the block posting ability.
However, someone quickly discovered they couldn't block me on the forum & complained about it rather loudly (can't find the thread now but it was explained to them on the thread why it happened so that's why I decided it was ok to post this here).  So I reported it & the cause turned out to be because I had "mod rights".
LL had just implemented a fix to stop the spam bots anyway so my mod rights were removed as they were no longer needed.
It's possible this Resident you can't block retained their mod rights or they were given mod rights again to help curb the recent spammer that's been plaguing the forums of late.

Hi Whirly,

Yeah I noticed Kristin's post vanished rather quickly too.

Whilst I was following the Governance issued advice (stated at the UG meeting, inworld, and on the forums) to simply block those whom you don't want to read when I came across this issue, I do find it extremely worrying, and indeed disconcerting, that another resident has these abilities.

@Tommy Linden@Patch Linden guys, please can we get some kind of clarification here?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Yeah, that's gonna happen when you make a public post, though. I'd suggest just going with contacting support directly for future issues like this one if you want to avoid it. :) 

Let's just let support help, as already stated a ticket has been filed, or the pinged Lindens...............

No time for griping diatrabes......................

Edited by Adamburp Adamczyk
clarity of wording.
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Yeah, that's gonna happen when you make a public post

it is nothing more than a technical relic that was transfered over in the new forums in my opinion, no names or any other bad questions were asked or mentioned.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

this is what I'm finding disturbing - that was my thoughts on this.

I've asked support about this, but it is disconcerting if a normal resident has such abilities. 

Ah well, best to wait for Support or one of the pinged Lindens.

You seem like someone who it would be good to ignore or block, so I will.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

I've tried on an alternate browser, and using another account, and refreshing/logging out/dancing the macarena

Have you tried feeding Toby Keith? That'll sometimes work for me, Rapping successfully to a Tech Nine song will occasionally work too.

But seriously.  It's most likely just an old relic from when the forums were first made as someone pointed out.

BUT.  Have you also tried clearing your browsers cache and did a complete wipe of everything in it? I don't know what browser you use so I can't tell you HOW to erase all the data but you can do it with a lot of them.

1 hour ago, Eseme Nova said:

Have you tried feeding Toby Keith? That'll sometimes work for me, Rapping successfully to a Tech Nine song will occasionally work too.

But seriously.  It's most likely just an old relic from when the forums were first made as someone pointed out.

BUT.  Have you also tried clearing your browsers cache and did a complete wipe of everything in it? I don't know what browser you use so I can't tell you HOW to erase all the data but you can do it with a lot of them.

yup all of the above beside feeding toby, only wrapping I do is at Xmas time.

could just be a relic, but it's still concerning nontheless.   I've a ticket with support so have to wait and see what they come back with but should be interesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.