"not allowed to ignore member"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Curious, and maybe somewhat disturbing.

No naming here of course, but has anyone encountered the error message "You are not allowed to ignore that member. " when you are trying to block a specific person on the forums? As in a big pop up message on your screen?

It's not a reporting issue.

I've tried on an alternate browser, and using another account, and refreshing/logging out/dancing the macarena, but the same error message comes up, in big bold text across the screen.

I've filed a support ticket, with the aid of Live Chat, so see what comes of this.

@Patch Linden@Kristin Linden

@Kristin Linden trying to block a certain person as per the advice given in general by Governance (not a reporting thing, just someone who's posts I do not wish to see)

Edited by Adamburp Adamczyk
slight update

it's most likely a relic form the ancient forums. I asked the same question earlier this week to the person self :) , not to block but because i saw a difference in the profile. 🤫
A question to the forum mods didn't result in a response of course.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I've never seen it.  The only thing I can think of is that you're trying to block an admin.

Most forum software is setup so the admins can not be blocked,  the person could have been a site moderator or some type of forum helper at one point too and I know the software I use currently on my forum does not allowed people to block either of those too.     so possible?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I've never seen it.  The only thing I can think of is that you're trying to block an admin.

It wasn't that because that was my first thought the other day when Alwin stumbled across it.  So I tried to block him or ignore user, and could.  I might unblock him one day 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Most forum software is setup so the admins can not be blocked,  the person could have been a site moderator or some type of forum helper at one point too and I know the software I use currently on my forum does not allowed people to block either of those too.     so possible?

could be, but I daren't give more info re "naming"

hopefully Patch or one of the other pinged ones can offer soem clue? if not it'll be an interesting one for support!

6 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

i asked the person and in the response told  it isn't a admin, but had possibly a other status in a previous, previous forum, Thats why i said most likely it's a relic from the past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i asked the person and in the response told  it isn't a admin, but had possibly a other status in a previous, previous forum, Thats why i said most likely it's a relic from the past.

maybe, but even when you hover over the name in person, the option to ignore doesn't even appear.  Weird this one, and I'm pretty well known for my weird stuff but this has me bamboozled!

• Like 1

That is weird. The only people you are not permitted to ignore are those with Linden last names, those in the Administrators role, and those in the Moderators role.

As to not promote naming/shaming, can you send me a IM of the person in-world so I can take a look? I'll only use this name to look further into the issue, whoever the actual user is or what they said/did is of no interest to me, only the bug is of interest to me. (I.E. I give you my word that I won't tell anyone who the user is)

Edited by Chaser Zaks

4 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

this is what I'm finding disturbing - that was my thoughts on this.

I've asked support about this, but it is disconcerting if a normal resident has such abilities. 

Ah well, best to wait for Support or one of the pinged Lindens.

Without being silly.

I’ve long suspected there were a couple of regulars with Mod powers for some time now. Just from observing the forum.

I just never said anything because...well...it sounds silly on it’s face.

This wouldn’t be the first forum where this was the case either. It’s actually a common practice.

Just now, Janet Voxel said:

Without being silly.

I’ve long suspected there were a couple of regulars with Mod powers for some time now. Just from observing the forum.

I just never said anything because...well...it sounds silly on it’s face.

This wouldn’t be the first forum where this was the case either. It’s actually a common practice.

It's possible, but what is disturbing, is that when a person (ie me) is blocking a user, on the pure basis of not wanting to see their posts - ever - we are unable to do this, despite the advice from Governance being so clear.

the fact that another user, potentially, has such abilities, is equally concerning.

hopefully, support will expedite my ticket and address these concerns.

3 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

It's possible, but what is disturbing, is that when a person (ie me) is blocking a user, on the pure basis of not wanting to see their posts - ever - we are unable to do this, despite the advice from Governance being so clear.

the fact that another user, potentially, has such abilities, is equally concerning.

hopefully, support will expedite my ticket and address these concerns.

i can see the concern of people that a possible mod, old or new, posts such explicit opinions, it will for sure strike some hairs in the wrong direction.

• Thanks 1

You can def ignore Moles.

I know a fellow person who posts whom I would never ignore as her posts are thoughtful, intelligent and interesting.  But if I hover over her name I couldn't ignore her (she isn't LL).  So again without giving details away - I know there are some people who must have moderator or legacy permissions on their account that prohibit us ignoring them.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.