Linden Home Lag is just Awful for me :(

QuinnWolfsbane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was sooo excited to have a seperate home to just 'live in' and be there to relax, but the lag that I am experiencing is just horrible! I own another 1024m of land elsewhere and don't ever seem to have this issue.... Currently in the Linden home I only have a dog, his bed, bone and feeding bowls - 2 sets of chairs with tables (LOW PRIM) and I cannot ever hardly move around the house :( This is really disappointing since I leveled up my tier to get the land and home with Linden Labs... I was soooo looking forward to this, but the lag just kills me and I have to resort to going to my 'other' land to change and unbox items :( I am not able to interact with my dog and worry about placing more furniture, which I have bought for the turn-of-the-century home :((

@QuinnWolfsbane, since when are you experiencing the issue? SL has been quite laggy in some regions for the last few hours, but it is something punctual. If you have been experiencing that situation for days, just in your parcel, you may either open a ticket or talk to other residents around, to check if it is just you. Also, try removing some of the items you have placed, and see if it gets better. 

I have been living in different Linden homes for the last year, around 50 maybe, and it has been alright, maybe a couple of times due to new regions being released, or my computer not working properly.  

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 1

Which region does matter, a lot. I have a houseboat where I do lag at times. My newest little gem, a trad I walk around so easy. Even better than in my skybox on mainland...

Do what Elena says before you get too upset and abandon your plot, supply not that high at the moment. Then you can always try somewhere else later if it turns out to be something region related. Like I don't know, moving sea water?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I find I need to lower my draw distance to 32m before I even enter a Belli region or I'm standing still for a few minutes waiting for heaven knows what to render.

Haha, yes it can be very greyish in Belli at times. My old lappy is crying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuinnWolfsbane said:

I was sooo excited to have a seperate home to just 'live in' and be there to relax, but the lag that I am experiencing is just horrible! I own another 1024m of land elsewhere and don't ever seem to have this issue.... Currently in the Linden home I only have a dog, his bed, bone and feeding bowls - 2 sets of chairs with tables (LOW PRIM) and I cannot ever hardly move around the house :( This is really disappointing since I leveled up my tier to get the land and home with Linden Labs... I was soooo looking forward to this, but the lag just kills me and I have to resort to going to my 'other' land to change and unbox items :( I am not able to interact with my dog and worry about placing more furniture, which I have bought for the turn-of-the-century home :((

as others already pointed at, Belliseria can be laggy .. ís laggy ...
but without your settings there isn't a lot to point at to improve it.. or try to.

I had a houseboat in a region that was very laggy all the time, at the beginning of the Belli era.  I swapped it out for a newer one, and the lag improved a lot - most of the time.  Maybe consider moving.  But it's dangerous - you might get somewhere worse!

Edited by Anna Nova

It's been my experience that some regions lag a lot more than others. There are a number of things that can contribute to the lag that are beyond an individual user's control (like the stuff other people rez in their homes and lots - recently I came across a home that where the person had set it up, on the inside, with a sci-fi theme, and there were particles, scanning/flashing lights (visible on the outside as well), lots of animations/scripts, etc).

One thing you might want to look into is trying the Alchemy viewer latest version beta. I've been amazed at the improved performance. I'm using a MacBook Pro and haven't had really decent performance from either the SL viewer or Firestorm since the start of the pandemic. Alchemy has drastically improved my SL experience - at least double the frame rates and the ability to move around with higher quality graphics preferences enabled (really, the only place where I have to uncheck them is crowded events).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

It's been my experience that some regions lag a lot more than others. There are a number of things that can contribute to the lag that are beyond an individual user's control (like the stuff other people rez in their homes and lots - recently I came across a home that where the person had set it up, on the inside, with a sci-fi theme, and there were particles, scanning/flashing lights (visible on the outside as well), lots of animations/scripts, etc).

One thing you might want to look into is trying the Alchemy viewer latest version beta. I've been amazed at the improved performance. I'm using a MacBook Pro and haven't had really decent performance from either the SL viewer or Firestorm since the start of the pandemic. Alchemy has drastically improved my SL experience - at least double the frame rates and the ability to move around with higher quality graphics preferences enabled (really, the only place where I have to uncheck them is crowded events).

Hi, is this just for Mac computers? Can you provide a link to where you downlload this viewer?

@QuinnWolfsbane I don't know what type of home you have, but I've found that Victorian regions have noticeably more lag for me than any of the others. I'd suggest walking around some other regions and see whether the lag issues are constant, or if they improve. If other regions are less laggy than yours, then you might want to consider trying for a different Linden home.

You could also contact Support and request that someone come take a look at the region and see if something in the region is using too much of the region resources. 

I have a Mac & the lag is a killer in Mac OS as my graphics card doesn’t like it. If I switch to Windows it runs perfectly. I run Firestorm so it may be worth a try if you are on a Mac. Alchemy is great for Macs as well as previously stated. I just need to save for a new machine ☹️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, QuinnWolfsbane said:

I was soooo looking forward to this, but the lag just kills me and I have to resort to going to my 'other' land to change and unbox items :( I am not able to interact with my dog and worry about placing more furniture, which I have bought for the turn-of-the-century home :((

I doubt the lag has anything to do with what you've rezzed.  If you share the name of the region, I (and probably others) would be willing to stop by and check its statistics, see if there's a bunch of temp-rez around, see if somebody's physical something is killing the simulator, and post here about our lag experience there.  The type of lag you're experiencing is not due to scripts.

One easy thing to check: are there usually other people in the region?  If so, setting "Show Friends Only" in Firestorm (World pulldown, I believe) will nuke any lag you experience from them. 

I abandoned a nice houseboat because the lag was consistently very bad.  It was on a region border, and the lag when I crossed that border was still bad.   Region stats weren't awful.   I think it must have been the size & number of textures that were rezzed nearby causing my client to lag.  I never bothered to take draw distance down to 32, walk around in a pattern, and wait in each spot to see where the lag started.  If you're very patient (giving time for cache to fill etc.), sometimes you can pinpoint texture-based lag that way.

ETA: I have old, but not bad, graphics hardware.  My draw distance is usually 120, no advanced lighting, and I have no problem in Belli unless I'm at a big event.

Edited by Nika Talaj

The best way to tell if a region is experiencing lag, is to pull up your stats window, and scroll down to where you see the script info. The only two numbers you need to look at I circled in the picture. This is from my home in Porridge Pot in Bellisseria. the scripts run number is "healthy"  at 95% or higher. Below that, you may start experiencing lag, but it doesn't get drastic until 50% and under. The spare time is usually fine as long as it's above 2, that's the cushion. In badly lagged regions, that value is usually 0.001, which is essentially saying there aren't enough resources for things (and you!) to work properly. 

That's what lag is. People sometimes think of low fps as lag, but if that's the issue, it's your graphic settings, and the biggest culprit is draw distance (and shadows, if you have those enabled). People get hit hard in Bellisseria, because there are so many homes and furnishings you're trying to render, even if they aren't on your screen. I do fine at draw 120, which is half a region distance, and really all you need. But if that's still bad, lowering to 64 or even 32 is more than enough for you to enjoy what is within your own parcel, then maybe inch it up a little if you go outside.

region stats.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.