Jump to content

getting woke and SL


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It's different from the outside looking in.  I've heard of civil unrest in other countries and thought how sad; I hope it's resolved soon and peace is restored.  It's human nature for most pacifists as probably most of us here are.  Now, there is civil unrest in America and I think others want to see it resolved peacefully.  We do too!  

Also, Luna, I don't think you understand the "racial" issues of Southern California because you don't live here, and I don't understand the discrimination issues of the state you live in which may be coming from conservative Southern Baptist eschewed views.   

The issue is not whether we can have complete empathy for those in different circumstances and living arrangements -- of course we can't. Nor is their any question in my mind as to whether anyone posting in this thread so far would like the issues resolved and be able to witness a peaceful resolution.

The issue is whether we have a right to tell Blacks they should be done with their anger and move on to being happy now.  I'll let Blacks tell me when that time has arrived, as only they can know when they've dealt with their pain fully and feel Whites have listened sufficiently to their issues.

 

Edited by Luna Bliss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

when they've dealt with their pain fully and feel Whites have listened sufficiently to their issues.

 

I think this exactly will begin if Biden is elected.  Biden is still eyeing four Black female Senators as his Vice Presidential running mate.  He hasn't quite chosen yet but then I haven't scanned through the morning news yet.

Some feel it may be a token Black or a token women but this is needed now.   I think it's a good idea.  With Trump, I feel uneasy about everything right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here you can see the Schutzstaffel troops are just randomly running into crowds and attacking people:

There's a video there, but the forums here don't embed twitter videos.

I'm calling them Schutzstaffel  for a reason.

This is literally out of Hitler's 1930s playbook - it's how his boyz behaved in Berlin when they were solidifying control...

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

when they've dealt with their pain fully and feel Whites have listened sufficiently to their issues.

 

I think this exactly will begin if Biden is elected.  Biden is still eyeing four Black female Senators as his Vice Presidential running mate.  He hasn't quite chosen yet but then I haven't scanned through the morning news yet.

Some feel it may be a token Black or a token women but this is needed now.   I think it's a good idea.  With Trump, I feel uneasy about everything right now. 

We certainly won't see the blatant racism T-rump has exhibited with his 'divide and conquer' strategies bordering on fascism, so I imagine the conflict would lessen some with Biden. But there are deeper forces which drive the hatred of POC in America, and this must be healed or all the conflict will simply erupt in a more visible form at a later date.  No laws will fix this completely. No president can fix it alone. Only a willingness for Americans to change their hearts and minds can remedy the horrors of America, built on slavery and genocide.

Edited by Luna Bliss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

There are "turf wars" here in Southern California though.  There are people of different colors and beliefs that don't want to integrate.  They don't want others on their turf and they have wars about it.  Do you know anything about this?   The "turf wars"?    Some of Southern California is multi-ethnic/multi-cultural/multi-religious but other others are segregated and there are "turf wars".   I don't think the people who have turf wars want to be integrated with others.  Some hate each other, frankly.   We cannot force people to be integrated.  I'm not even for forced busing unless the kids and parents and teachers want it because it's a very long bus ride, so I think it's up to the kids and their parents. 

What you have is a lot of these places had nicer lower middle class to middle class owner lived in homes. And in the 50s and 60s the government took people's homes away and moved them into 'hoods', making ethnic ghettos out of them, and removed access to jobs.

That is why the turf wars and stuff started up.

Competition over scarcity among people that had their homes taken away and were forced to live like rats in massive complexes, given no access to jobs, usually no access to a grocery store, no easy roads out... FORCED to live on welfare; and then society blamed them for it...

I grew up in this hoods. But unlike a lot of locals, I studied history and urban development. I knew how folks got there... I knew who brought in the guns and drugs...

- Honestly the locals know that last part... a pack of white dudes that look too organized to be civilians dumping guns and drugs in your hood is kind of obvious... I think a decade ago we finally got proof from unclassified documents or a NYT / WSJ investigation proving to the outside world that the CIA dumped crack and guns on us...

It was those LA streets that had me hardened to the idea that my enemy was another race... it was coming to San Francisco that became my Mecca to make me see that the races actually could get along... Why I love Malcolm X so much; he had that same journey a generation earlier.

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Here you can see the Schutzstaffel troops are just randomly running into crowds and attacking people:

 

Here's my thing....the protests were largely dying down. It was naturally fizzling out cause, you know....Covid, unemployment, people on the verge of being homeless, etc. 

Doing this only makes people want to protest more and more people are actually coming back to protest now, it's making a narrow cause a bigger issue.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

What you have is a lot of these places had nicer lower middle class to middle class owner lived in homes. And in the 50s and 60s the government took people's homes away and moved them into 'hoods', making ethnic ghettos out of them, and removed access to jobs.

That is why the turf wars and stuff started up.

Competition over scarcity among people that had their homes taken away and were forced to live like rats in massive complexes, given no access to jobs, usually no access to a grocery store, no easy roads out... FORCED to live on welfare; and then society blamed them for it...

I grew up in this hoods. But unlike a lot of locals, I studied history and urban development. I knew how folks got there... I knew who brought in the guns and drugs...

- Honestly the locals know that last part... a pack of white dudes that look too organized to be civilians dumping guns and drugs in your hood is kind of obvious...

8 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Honestly the locals know that last part... a pack of white dudes that look too organized to be civilians dumping guns and drugs in your hood is kind of obvious...

 

Something needs to be ratified here regarding "the hoods".  I was hoping talks could happen so we could know what needed to be done here and not just "assume".  

That last sentence, I think so too.  I even asked in this thread of another thread if anyone thought drugs might be a ploy from white supremacists to keep POC down and/or even incarcerated?

However, you know what most people would say to you and me, Pussycat, about that?  They'd say we're crazy.   And they'd say, there are no government conspiracies.  In other countries though, we could be killed for saying such a thing.    

I'm sorry for all this crap from this country you all have had to deal with.  

 

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

That last sentence, I think so too.  I even asked in this thread of another thread if anyone thought drugs might be a ploy from white supremacists to keep POC down and/or even incarcerated?

However, you know what most people would say to you and me, Pussycat, about that?  They'd say we're crazy.   And they'd say, there are no government conspiracies.  In other countries though, we could be killed for saying such a thing.

People were called crazy for decades. But then the proof came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_involvement_in_Contra_cocaine_trafficking

The CIA justified it as needed to put Crack on American streets to control communists in Latin America... which made about as much sense to me as back when the USA injected black US soldiers with Syphilis at Tuskegee to 'see what would happen'... 1930s through 1970s...

https://www.history.com/news/the-infamous-40-year-tuskegee-study

This is actual history... and just typing it makes me feel like I'm harping conspiracy theories because yes... it is so crazy... but it's also real...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I think this exactly will begin if Biden is elected.  Biden is still eyeing four Black female Senators as his Vice Presidential running mate.  He hasn't quite chosen yet but then I haven't scanned through the morning news yet.

Some feel it may be a token Black or a token women but this is needed now.   I think it's a good idea.  With Trump, I feel uneasy about everything right now. 

It kind of depends on which person he chooses... the most popular pick right now... one of my local senators... made it her career to put young black men in prison... she may talk the talk now, but I see where her feet have walked...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

Now

I remember you expressed some dismay over so many in this thread who don't seem to get it.  I've wondered if in the process of moving LL to the cloud they tilted SL and all the conservatives rolled onto this forum.... :)

But you know...on the street it's very different...even in my red state on the plains....people are coming around and realizing we need to treat POC differently in the US.  There is a LOT of support. Not sure why, honestly, I continue to post in this thread. It seems to be a dumping ground for disgruntled conservatives for the most part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

 

That was literally my favorite song when I was 16-17...

Sadly the entire city got replaced by a dot-com and a pack of millenials who's idea of culture is wrapped in brackets and uses JSDoc notation wrapped conditional statements... 😛

For them diversity means letting some of those wierd .NET engineers get all up in the place... 'cause round these here parts we do .js like decent folk...

#wheredidmycitygo

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pussycat Catnap said:

That was literally my favorite song when I was 16-17...

Sadly the entire city got replaced by a dot-com and a pack of millenials who's idea of culture is wrapped in brackets and uses JSDoc notation wrapped conditional statements... 😛

That's so sad...yeah the city has changed. My daughter lives there and I visit from time to time. Still, in my mind, I hear that song and it causes me to feel hope :)

I was out walking with my daughter and we walked by a house where some hippies were congregated.  I wanted to walk up and, I don't know, touch their hair and tie-die shirts, bow or something...lol....walk up and say "are you REAL HIPPIES!?"  But my daughter had this look on her face like "mommmmm....noooooo!",  so I just smiled at the hippies and they smiled back with a kind yet slightly amused expression, as if they knew I was especially fascinated by them.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

 

Its pretty common among my Rasta brethren, and indeed myself, to find people who began life on the bad side of things and found redemption through spiritual awakening. Malcolm X resonates very well in that community because his journey and being twice redeemed resonates.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Its pretty common among my Rasta brethren, and indeed myself, to find people who began life on the bad side of things and found redemption through spiritual awakening. Malcolm X resonates very well in that community because his journey and being twice redeemed resonates.

I'm glad you did. It could not have been easy coming from the hood.

The closest I've been to such an environment is when I accidentally drove my sleeping Yoga group into the middle of Detroit on a trip east. They didn't let me drive at night anymore unless someone else was awake in the car...lol (not a big city girl here).

Edited by Luna Bliss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rice could be a good choice too.

I don't have a favorite myself. I just have one that I am opposed to...

The most important quality in my mind would be 'bridge builder' because after the current president the USA is going to be so extremely divided, and we have lost the faith of the entire international community... so we need someone that can get people to sit down and talk to each other again...

I don't expect us to EVER hold a position of authority on the world stage ever again though... our political system has been proven now to be too open to being taken over by crazy... we're not stable enough to be a world leader...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My biggest fear is that whoever this Black woman is, there will be a big chance she'll be president, as Biden could very well be on his last leg. As such, she would bear the brunt, take much of the blame, for the unfolding collapse of the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Evolving story so details will come with time, but she was giving a speech to the crowds to talk about their concerns and it looks like the feds moved in on her...

He (Mayor Ted Wheeler) was at the Justice Center (the focus of the protests).  There was a noisy crowd of thousands there late into the night.  There were large crowds protesting in places near, but not at, the Justice Center as well last night (like the waterfront downtown) - my Mom's caregiver drove past them. He gave a small speech out in the crowd, thanked them for protesting and stated that if Portland did not continue to resist, Trump would send troops to many cities across the country, then handed the mike to a protester and began to do Q&A with the crowd.  Crowd then requested that he move to the front steps of the Center, which he did, and continued the Q&A.  Note that he is not at all popular with the protesters - at the time he did this, this was projected very large on the wall above his head. 

theodore.JPG.0fa98d3b37d27077d471d9a08f8833ea.JPG

Someone threw something at him while he spoke.   He had moved away from the steps but was still near them, speaking one-on-one to people in the crowd I think, when the feds poured out of the building (about 11:30PM) and violently lashed out at anyone standing near the building.  He was one of the many people tear gassed when they did this - they did not single him out.   I'm not going to express an opinion as to his effectiveness, but he is certainly a brave person.

Afterwards he spoke to a reporter.

Quote

I'm not gonna lie, it stings, it's hard to breathe, and I can tell you with 100% honesty I saw nothing that provoked this response. It's nasty stuff, I'm not afraid but I am pissed off," Wheeler told Baker. "This is an egregious overreaction on the part of the federal officers. There was nothing that I saw anybody do that warranted this reaction. As you can see, all it's done is piss everybody off. It's made everybody angry. They've come in and they kicked the hornet's nest. This is not a de-escalation strategy. This is flat out urban warfare and it's being brought on the people of this country by the president of the United States and it's got to stop now. This is a threat to our democracy.

This was indeed what it looked like.  The video played fine for me, try clicking it.  No, this is not Ecuador, this is not Hong Kong IT IS PORTLAND, A GENTLE TOWN FILLED WITH FRICKIN' HIPPIES

Remember.  This is how it starts.

 

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I remember you expressed some dismay over so many in this thread who don't seem to get it.  I've wondered if in the process of moving LL to the cloud they tilted SL and all the conservatives rolled onto this forum.... :)

No, it's been like that for a while, it's just that very few people stand up to it here, so there's a weird comfort level with certain things being said. When I first started posting here, there was a right wing troll here posting regularly and a lot of regulars were agreeing with them. They got banned briefly and went over to another SL forum and promptly got rolled up like a carpet and sent packing. That should tell you something right there. A little jab here, a little poke there....its fiiiine, it was a little flip comment.  I used to think some people were just unaware of certain things and if you just took time to explain them, that would help. Then I started to realize most of the time, that's not what it is. Then I thought maybe its a generational thing, nah...that's not it either. There's just a certain level of comfort that exist because the rules are arbitrarily enforced and people are able to exploit them.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

No, it's been like that for a while, it's just that very few people stand up to it here, so there's a weird comfort level with certain things being said. When I first started posting here, there was a right wing troll here posting regularly and a lot of regulars were agreeing with them. They got banned briefly and went over to another SL forum and promptly got rolled up like a carpet and sent packing. That should tell you something right there. A little jab here, a little poke there....its fiiiine, it was a little flip comment.  I used to think some people were just unaware of certain things and if you just took time to explain them, that would help. Then I started to realize most of the time, that's not what it is. Then I thought maybe its a generational thing, nah...that's not it either. There's just a certain level of comfort that exist because the rules are arbitrarily enforced and people are able to exploit them.

Tech largely is full of a bunch of 'white bro culture types' who don't know or get it - but NOT for malicious reasons, but for lack of exposure. The thing about a lot of techies is they are also pretty idealistic and well meaning.

Which means that the right approach sometimes gets through.

I highly suspect this is the case with LL as well. The failure to deal with those bad apples quick enough here is less about agreeing with them and more about lack of understanding of the harm they were causing because race-baiting attacks are 'off the radar' for most white people. It doesn't happen to them often, so they don't know what they're seeing when they see it, and such attacks are often veiled as things like 'a reasonable counter point' or 'devil's advocate' or whatever...

I work in tech... I see this all... the... time... but because, up until this year; we were always in the same offices, I could get through in person where I could not on places like a forum. And I could also see that the majorities of the techies didn't mean harm, they were just clueless about a topic and getting 'rolled' by people much better trained than I at manipulation...

 

I started posting here largely because 'another SL forum' did NOT have my back when I came under extreme racist fire there by people so skilled in manipulation who thus managed to get everyone to see my outrage and outburst as a result of the attacks, rather than what caused me to 'lose it' originally... and the mods here didn't stand for a repeat performance of that...

 

Generally I think the SL mods get it right more often than wrong, in the end, but can be slow about it - which can be frustrating at the time but might be better in the long run.

This forum has had a few 'troll posters' that have lasted for years because they got very skilled in finding the line and standing right on it... and again much of that has to do with, I suspect, techies that don't tend to have a good socially diverse awareness.

I am hopeful that we're seeing a 'sea change' in tech as a result of current events and things like the Facebook boycott. It should be noted that working in tech in the past few years I have seen more and more of those 'white bros' themselves rise up and challenge their own organizations when those organizations are behaving badly...

"woke" is starting to arrive in tech.

It started with environment, militarization (like employees revolting when they find their app is being used for military drones), gender and LGBTQ issues, but it is now making it's way to race and elsewhere as well.

It's by no means a finished journey though...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...