Author/Book Recommendations...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I found a crime author when I was maybe 13-14 years old. It is John Dickson Carr, that also writes as Carter Dickson. Maybe you have heard about "The Burning Court". I am re-reading  "The Three Coffins" now. You have no idea how hard it is to find John Dickson Carr in Norway, so I reread the few books I have. It is "the closed room" mysteries that is his specialty, in the time before/during/after WWII.

I like Ellis Peters, she writes about a medieval monk detective/investigator. It takes place in and around Shrewsbury, England.

I have a problem, it is hard to find new writers that engage me. And I read fast, I started reading in English just so the books last longer. Plus the translations often suck.

I like Carl Hiaasen too. It is humorous crime fiction, many of his books involve environmentalism.

Edited by Marianne Little
I posted to soon and had to write it again bc it was all jumbled up

I am completely hooked on John Connolly's Parker series of novels, a series of dark thrillers, with an occult twist to them.  There are no vampires and werewolves, but an unnerving atmosphere of supernatural evil certainly permeates much of the action.    They're beautifully written, and often with a very dry sense of humour and wit.

Joe Abercrombie's "grimdark" fantasy series, the First Law trilogy, and other of his books set in the same world are also well worth reading -- again, it's primarily a recognisably human late medieval/early renaissance world with supernatural elements rather straightforward high fantasy.

Craig Schaefer's various series are also well worth reading -- the Daniel Faust novels, in particular, are a wonderful fun,  as are Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus novels.

Rebecca F Kuang's fantasy series inspired by Chinese history, shamanism, opium and colonialism is extraordinary, and I can't wait until she completes the trilogy later this year.

Seanan McGuire's series of October Daye fantasy novels (set in the contemporary Bay Area around San Francisco and the Pacific Northwest generally) is consistently enjoyable, as is  Daniel José Older's Bone Street Rumba series.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

I don't know if this qualifies as a "book", since it's a webcomic.  Maybe I should post it in "What are You Binge Watching", but here we go.

https://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v1ch1-cover

"Atomic Robo" is great!  It's like, what if Indiana Jones was a robot invented by Nikola Tesla?  It whips back and forth through time, from the 1920s to the present day.  It's got Mad Science out the wazoo.  It's got military grade weapons and tons of explosions.  And it's hilarious...when a Godzilla-sized monster shows up, our hero mutters, "Why do we even HAVE the square/cube law?"  When he's aboard a wildly careening Bradley Fighting Vehicle, it's "Ook.  I'd throw up, if I had a stomach."  One of its villains is this absolutely bonkers, genius-level velociraptor called "Dr. Dinosaur"  who's always exclaiming, "Behold!"

But Atomic Robo is not alone...no, he's the head of Tesladyne, a corporation that does "action science".  Yep, this is in the tradition of Doc Savage and E.E. Smith's Lensmen.  Our heroes are as fast with an AK-47 as they are with a novel theory of space-time.  Plus guest appearances by Charles Fort, Thomas Edison, H.P. Lovecraft, Carl Sagan, Steven Hawking, and a host of others.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.