17 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I just want to confirm that this is the case.
The organizers have been in contact with the Firestorm team re the modified viewer.
Linden Lab are well aware of Camp Virtual & it was even mentioned by LL at a recent public usergroup.

There is honestly no drama to see here  :)

Edit to add:  Also remember that it is possible to lock down accounts to a certain estate. This is done regularly for educational institutions that use SL for students, many under 18 years of age.
These accounts cannot leave the regions on the estate, cannot communicate with any avatar not locked to their estate etc. They are totally locked down in every way to regions within their estate and from communication into or out of their estate or avatar group.

yep.. ll can lock any account to any region and prevent them from leaving or talking outside of that region.

they used to do this with accounts that broke rules if I remember right.. a corn field or something. where the user could not leave or talk to anyone outside until their punishment was lifted.

so yes it would be very possible to do for any sort of camp that was agreed to be allowed to happen in sl by ll.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:22 PM, Tarina Sewell said:

Get her some SIMS games. Those are fun and most are fine for children.  I think....

All iterations of the Sims are rated for teens not children.

Regarding the virtual camp, I see this as not being "Second Life" - I see it as a private concern contracting with LL for a specific experience where the entire experience and associated accounts are locked down to only the regions contracted for by the private concern.  So in that sense, I would think that the general LL TOS regarding SL age requirements would not apply in that specific situation, though I would think that the potential ages of the attendees would be discussed up front as part of the negotiations with LL.  Re-using items from Bellisseria, especially the Campwich forest area,  makes sense as a quick way for LL to offer a customized build for a private concern that is looking for an outdoor camping themed group of regions. 

As far as mixing kids from 7 to 17 in this closed off set of regions,  I don't see that as anymore of an issue than the age range of kids who play Roblox together.  I'm sure that there is a lot of care being taken about the animations that would be used in the different activities and furnishings on those regions.  

Given the state of things in the U.S. right now, I imagine that a virtual camp might be something many parents would be interested in.   The information on the camp's website also talked about Zoom sessions for other types of activities (which is similar to how  some scouting councils have held camps this past spring) but being able to add the virtual camping part is a big bonus for the overall experience, I think.   I hope that this works out well for all involved.

Posted (edited)

Teens in Second Life

Second Life is generally for adults 18 years and older; however, if you are 13 years of age or older you can use Second Life with some restrictions. If you're:

• 16-17 years old you can access regions and search results that have a General maturity rating.
  • 13-15 years old, you can access Second Life through an affiliated organization and will be restricted to the private estate of that organization. Only avatars approved by that organization will be able to enter these estates. You can't use Second Life search or purchase items from the Marketplace.

See Maturity ratings Knowledge Base article for information on Second Life maturity ratings.

Linden Homes

Linden Homes are not available to Residents under the age of 18. Sixteen and seventeen year-old users have the other benefits of becoming premium account holders. However, they will not be able to access Linden Homes until they turn 18.

Organizations sponsoring under-16 Residents

Requirements for sponsoring organizations

All organizations serving users under the age of 16 must keep their estates private, with 13-15 year old accounts limited to their estate. Access to the estate by users 16 or older will be at the discretion of the owner of that estate, using estate privacy and whitelist features.

To serve 13-15 year old users, you must limit them to your Second Life estate. To do this, you must:

• Use the Registration API.
  • Have a private region (island) in Second Life.
  • Bring teens onto this island through your own website.

You can form groups that include teens and IM and exchange objects with teens who come in through your Reg API. However, in this case, these accounts will NOT be able to leave your island and visit other spaces, search within Second Life or purchase from the Marketplace. In this "closed island" model, you can form groups, IM, and exchange objects with them; but all these activities are limited to your island.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Teens_in_Second_Life

• This page was last modified on 8 February 2012, at 17:59.

No one under 13 is allowed in SL.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, Elise Banx said:

children have NO PLACE in SL ...end of...

A lot of parents play the game here while their kids are in the room or watching.  There are plenty of places with a responsible adults supervision, IE in a teaching environment (for instance a region about meteorology, dinosaurs, a history educational region) SL is not all about sex orgies and ***** encounters and mature natures.

Also, you can turn on show only friends and you will not have to see the avatars who are risky. BUT NEVER ALLOW YOUR CHILD TO USE SL WITHOUT YOU RIGHT THERE WITH THEM.

Edit.

To be honest, you could get some kittycats and breed them and teach your child about traits and purchasing and selling.

I personally thought SL would be a great way for kids to be in a virtual school but they did away with the teen grid a long time ago.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

All iterations of the Sims are rated for teens not children.

I thought it was E-Rated.

But there is sim mania for kids which is 8 an \d up.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I thought it was E-Rated.

But there is sim mania for kids which is 8 an \d up.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/33553/The+Sims™+4/

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/26182/The+Sims+3/

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/20380/The+Sims+2+/

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/4748/The+Sims/

The only one that wasn't specifically rated for Teens is The Sims 2. It was rated for 10 and over, basically teenagers.

I've been playing the Sims games for 20 years. ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/33553/The+Sims™+4/

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/26182/The+Sims+3/

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/20380/The+Sims+2+/

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/4748/The+Sims/

The only one that wasn't specifically rated for Teens is The Sims 2. It was rated for 10 and over, basically teenagers.

I've been playing the Sims games for 20 years. ;)

My daughter plays as well, but I did only recall her saying there was one that was for kids.  I do not think 10 is a teen, but the woohoo? isn't kid friendly I agree.  I was not arguing, I just thought one was for younger kids is all.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
maybe that was rollar coaster tycoon?
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Teens_in_Second_Life

• This page was last modified on 8 February 2012, at 17:59.

No one under 13 is allowed in SL.

Yes, but this Virtual Camp thingy is not actually SL.  It is a totally closed set of regions that can only be accessed via a special viewer and they have all sorts of restrictions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

My daughter plays as well, but I did only recall her saying there was one that was for kids.  I do not think 10 is a teen, but the woohoo? isn't kid friendly I agree.  I was not arguing, I just thought one was for younger kids is all.

I didn't take it as you arguing, just lack of info, so I provided. 

Just fyi, none of The Sims pc games, apps or the MMO(s) were ever intended for 12 and under.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, but this Virtual Camp thingy is not actually SL.  It is a totally closed set of regions that can only be accessed via a special viewer and they have all sorts of restrictions.

ok? and? confusedcat.gif.cb2933e771f57f3c45da7e6a7acd28b4.gif

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So, those 6 sims arent on the SL grid? Funny, they show up on the map.. The cam director has a SL profile.. and is a member of a SL group.. Which isnt part of the camp, btw. How is it not part of SL?

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So, those 6 sims arent on the SL grid? Funny, they show up on the map.. The cam director has a SL profile.. and is a member of a SL group.. Which isnt part of the camp, btw. How is it not part of SL?

They're on the grid, but they might as well not be. None of us can go there. The people who are signed up through the Reg API can go there but nowhere else. They have no contact with any other part of SL. The camp director would have to be using an avatar created through the usual SL registration in order to have a profile that you can see. That avatar wouldn't be able to go to the camp regions; they'd have to use a camp-registered avatar to be in them. That was what happened when my company did the same sort of thing around 2008 -- my avatar registered through the company had no access to anything except the company's region, and my SL avatar had no access to the company region. 

Because of under-13 avatars being allowed by the camp, I assume Linden Lab has a document signed by the camp stating that the camp assumes all responsibility for anything that is done on the camp's regions. It would be foolish for LL to allow it otherwise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

They're on the grid, but they might as well not be. None of us can go there. The people who are signed up through the Reg API can go there but nowhere else. They have no contact with any other part of SL. The camp director would have to be using an avatar created through the usual SL registration in order to have a profile that you can see. That avatar wouldn't be able to go to the camp regions; they'd have to use a camp-registered avatar to be in them. That was what happened when my company did the same sort of thing around 2008 -- my avatar registered through the company had no access to anything except the company's region, and my SL avatar had no access to the company region. 

Because of under-13 avatars being allowed by the camp, I assume Linden Lab has a document signed by the camp stating that the camp assumes all responsibility for anything that is done on the camp's regions. It would be foolish for LL to allow it otherwise.

I still say its a bad idea... 

I see this is maybe a test phase for LL to bring back something like the old teen grid but for special purposes. privately run grids that allow only special registered individuals to use.

virtual events like this and other things are going to become a much bigger thing in the future because of the convenience and safety of them.

And LL does not need to care if anyone thinks a bad idea, for at the end of the day its LL choice and no one elses.

Plus it may draw in new accounts as the children age and become old enough to use the regular sl outside of the camp setting.

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I see this is maybe a test phase for LL to bring back something like the old teen grid but for special purposes. privately run grids that allow only special registered individuals to use.

virtual events like this and other things are going to become a much bigger thing in the future because of the convenience and safety of them.

And LL does not need to care if anyone thinks a bad idea, for at the end of the day its LL choice and no one elses.

Plus it may draw in new accounts as the children age and become old enough to use the regular sl outside of the camp setting.

LL called it Enterprise and it was available to corporations and non-profits. They're so close to letting us host our own regions without the access restriction(s) but they'll never do it even though they could and it would increase income.

• Like 1

So how is this "Camp Virtual" thing working out, anyway? Do the kids like it? What does the next generation think of SL?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, animats said:

So how is this "Camp Virtual" thing working out, anyway? Do the kids like it? What does the next generation think of SL?

First session of camp is scheduled to start July 6.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, animats said:

It will only cost you $295 US to find out.  

That seems like an absolutely crazy price to pay just to have your children virtually occupied for a week.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That seems like an absolutely crazy price to pay just to have your children virtually occupied for a week.  

not if your an upper class person who does not want to have to parent their own child but is too cheap to get a babysitter or does not want a stranger in their house. ya know covid-19 related reasons.

so for some it might be completely rational to spend that much money on a virtual camp.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

1. ESRB Ratings are absolutely useless - people really need to stop citing them for anything
  2. Citing the ToS/CS over and over again - in any form - means jack and squat where this is concerned

Think there is something hinky going on? Abuse Report it or get the attention of Governance somehow, see what they do about it.

If the place is still around in a month or two then you have all the answers you need. Our opinions, thoughts and feelings on the matter are rather meaningless when it comes to potential ToS/CS issues and Linden Lab's response (or lack thereof).

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 4:05 PM, Moira Timmerman said:

Regarding the virtual camp, I see this as not being "Second Life" - I see it as a private concern contracting with LL for a specific experience where the entire experience and associated accounts are locked down to only the regions contracted for by the private concern.

They share the SL bugs with the rest of us. The lag, the LOD problems, the region crossing problems, the onboarding problems...  The "Camp Virtual" staff has to help with all that. How do they handle it? I'm interested to hear what young "digital natives" think of SL.

19 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:
  1. ESRB Ratings are absolutely useless - people really need to stop citing them for anything
  2. Citing the ToS/CS over and over again - in any form - means jack and squat where this is concerned

Think there is something hinky going on? Abuse Report it or get the attention of Governance somehow, see what they do about it.

If the place is still around in a month or two then you have all the answers you need. Our opinions, thoughts and feelings on the matter are rather meaningless when it comes to potential ToS/CS issues and Linden Lab's response (or lack thereof).

Oh man. Did you ever read my posts wrong. 

Selene, you are one of several that were using the mentioned bits in your posts. Being blunt and honest where the Rating system is concerned: I don't care all that much as to the reasoning/motive behind it being brought up, hence the phrasing of point one above.

About the only edge case on that? Bringing it up to showcase just how broken and meaningless it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I paid £138 ($ 170) for a 4 day, 3 hour a day Minecraft/Roblox coding course last month for my youngest.  This was a treat to make up for our holiday being cancelled.  He loved it and wanted to do the second version planned for summer but its over subscribed. 

There is no way I would be paying $295 for him to play online all week.

• Like 1