Pris Aquila

Need Update on Avatar Appearance

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks for all the advice. It was the issue with finding new clothes that started me on this quest.  A number of outfits I found just wouldn't work with my classic avi.  

I've been playing around a bit this evening and maybe figured a couple things out.  I've demoed a Bento head and mesh body that I like and understand that I need to make adjustments with the sliders to get a look that I like.  Questions:

Looking for skins, do most come with both the head and body skin or do they need to be bought separate?  Seems like I've seen both.  As I said before, I'll see a skin look that I like but it usually only tells the make of the bento head being used, not which specific head.  Is it best to pick a skin then go looking for a head shape that looks to match?  This issue that I've had was mostly due to the limitations on how much you can adjust the jaw and head shape on the head.

The bento head comes with a hud for blush, lip color, several other options but I didn't see options for eye color.  I take it that there are appliers for those and other lip colors that can be added to that "master" hud.  Those are designed to match the Bento head you have correct?

Have you played much with 3rd party AOs, are they worth the extra cost or are you better off just staying with the AO that comes with the heads?

Thanks Again!

• Like 1

You can get a mesh body, for L$1 (the Legacy "gift" edition, which is the Legacy mesh body, without the creative items and editor) and a head (Catwa's Freya) for L$0. After that, it's a matter of finding the right shape, skins ([PF] and one other that I can't remember being recommended), after that, you can go to Scandalize and get a group tag and several outfits (as gifts), and then go to like... Little Bones hair, and for L$300, have that tag, and several hairs.

4 hours ago, LunaRavencroft said:

a head (Catwa's Freya) for L$0.

Not anymore. That offer ended on May 24th or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Aislin Keynes said:

Thanks for all the advice. It was the issue with finding new clothes that started me on this quest.  A number of outfits I found just wouldn't work with my classic avi.  

I've been playing around a bit this evening and maybe figured a couple things out.  I've demoed a Bento head and mesh body that I like and understand that I need to make adjustments with the sliders to get a look that I like.  Questions:

Looking for skins, do most come with both the head and body skin or do they need to be bought separate?  Seems like I've seen both.  As I said before, I'll see a skin look that I like but it usually only tells the make of the bento head being used, not which specific head.  Is it best to pick a skin then go looking for a head shape that looks to match?  This issue that I've had was mostly due to the limitations on how much you can adjust the jaw and head shape on the head.

The bento head comes with a hud for blush, lip color, several other options but I didn't see options for eye color.  I take it that there are appliers for those and other lip colors that can be added to that "master" hud.  Those are designed to match the Bento head you have correct?

Have you played much with 3rd party AOs, are they worth the extra cost or are you better off just staying with the AO that comes with the heads?

Thanks Again!

I think the trend is a skin for the body and a tattoo layer for the head. That is what I see in the latest purchases. I think this can be to reduce the upload cost and the work? If you sell just a head tattoo, you need one upload, if you sell the whole skin, you need three.

Many sell the face/head in events, and then you have to go to the mainstore and buy the body skin. Smart marketing? This last weekend, I saw 4 different head skins to reduced price, and none came with a body skin.

If you see a skin ad, you can see if the jaw look "right"? The skin demos come with a shape too.

I think it is older skins that have only the brand name. It was one Catwa head (Catya). Same for LeLutka, they had only Simone head. It was not necessary to write more than the brand name. This lasted for a while, and since the heads are expensive, many bought these first ones. I still use the Simone head.

If it only says Catwa, I guess they mean Catwa Catya, and if it says Lelutka, I guess they mean Lelutka Simone. Both these first generation Bento heads, has been updated and are not "old".

The Lelutka Evolution head in particular, are different from other Lelutka heads, but since they are new, they are named like: "...designed for the Lelutka Evolution line (shown on LAKE Head)" So you can get the demo and know the right head to test it on.

I do not buy 3rd party AOs, because I have heads with more than enough animations for my needs.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

If you sell just a head tattoo, you need one upload, if you sell the whole skin, you need three.

Why - or rather: which three ones? Head, upper body and lower body, me guesses.

But a creator can happily use the same upper and lower body textures on a full skin, unless they'd have a really special need to change details on every other body.

It probably saves some time if you do the body skin once with a blank head and have all matching head textures as tattoo layers. Only one new body part with one texture dragged on it.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, Tarina Sewell said:

There are a bunch of mesh avatars in your inventory library.  You could use those as a starting point to see what all the fuss is about.  There are some pretty cute ones!

Just a clarification: The avatars you see in the Choose an Avatar window are standard avatars with mesh clothing. It's easy to spot the angles on the faces and bodies including the usual glitches. I agree that they're a good starting point. 

You can still find the old and hideous mesh avatars from several years ago in the inventory library, but it would be a waste of time to use them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Not anymore. That offer ended on May 24th or thereabouts.

Oh. Well... nevermind then. O_O My bad.

20 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Why - or rather: which three ones? Head, upper body and lower body, me guesses.

But a creator can happily use the same upper and lower body textures on a full skin, unless they'd have a really special need to change details on every other body.

It probably saves some time if you do the body skin once with a blank head and have all matching head textures as tattoo layers. Only one new body part with one texture dragged on it.

Yes, I think it is more the work than the cost.

My latest purchases is not just 1 body skin, but the folder has included skins for the most popular bodies,  3 different body types. I believe this is because of nipple, toes, maybe belly button are placed a bit different. I can not think of another reason for them to make specific skins. Then there is cleavage options, freckles etc. Doing this over and over again is more work than doing it once and sell new head styles.

I would not buy body skins now, unless they have at least cleavage options. Not full priced skins with only 1 skin in the pack for 500 L, when others give me more options for 450 L.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.