UserName Change

courageous Chrome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings!  I would like to change my username.  I've read all the FAQ's.  If I pay the fee to change my name, must I be restricted to the list of names provided, or can I select my own name?  If restricted to the given options, how can I submit the name I would like as an option?  Better yet, how can I know if the name I would like to have is no longer be available?  I would like to keep my first name, "courageous" but would like to change my last name from, "Chrome" to "Clarity".  Is Clarity retired or might be available?  Is there a list of retired names?  Can I submit a ticket requesting that a certain name be made available?

You are restricted to the list of last names that's provided. Those names will be replaced with new ones over time. Retired names aren't available. You can see the list of currently available names by going to Account->Change Name in your Dashboard, then selecting the Next Step button. The last names will be listed. If you don't like any of them, there's a link called Go Back to get out of there. 

I don't know if Clarity has been used before. It's not in among the current choices. You might as well submit a ticket asking for your preferred name to be added at some point. It likely won't help, but it doesn't hurt to try. Never mind, @Alwin Alcott knew. Perhaps you have a second choice?

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Fixed my post in light of better information.

Just now, courageous Chrome said:

That said...How can I know if it is a "retired" last name?  I will keep my first name, "courageous" but would like to change last name to, "Clarity".   And, thank you so much for help!

if you click the link in the post above, this one:  http://slnamewatch.com/?action=list_records&status_filter=heritage&sort_order=ASC&order_by=last_name
 you can all ( as far i know) last names that are used already in the old system.

Clarity will be , as said nót be available, not even by ticket.

10 minutes ago, courageous Chrome said:

But, from what I understand, forced retirement of a name equal the amount of times it was assigned.  How can I know if it is retired?  I did see the link , thanks much!

Legacy is gone, forever. I don't get where you get that there must be a amount.
ALL names before the resident came is not longer available.

This is taken from FAQ's....

I don't like the available last names. When will there be different names available? How often will the list of names change?

Much as we did with the original legacy surnames, we plan to update and change the available last names regularly. That way, a good variety of first and last name combinations are available at any given moment. Because we determine when to retire a last name by the number of times it's been used, it's hard to say exactly when the list might change. If you're interested in changing your name, but don't see a name that fits just yet, please check back every so often to see what names have become available.

9 minutes ago, courageous Chrome said:

This is taken from FAQ's....

I don't like the available last names. When will there be different names available? How often will the list of names change?

Much as we did with the original legacy surnames, we plan to update and change the available last names regularly. That way, a good variety of first and last name combinations are available at any given moment. Because we determine when to retire a last name by the number of times it's been used, it's hard to say exactly when the list might change. If you're interested in changing your name, but don't see a name that fits just yet, please check back every so often to see what names have become available.

That's for the new batch of last names.

Please refer to Inara Pey's detailed round-up, here:

Generally speaking, Previously used last names will not be made publicly available for re-use, but users will be able to re-use names they’ve previously had

That was confirmed at the March 2018 Web User Group.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, courageous Chrome said:

Greetings!  I would like to change my username.  I've read all the FAQ's.  If I pay the fee to change my name, must I be restricted to the list of names provided, or can I select my own name?  If restricted to the given options, how can I submit the name I would like as an option?  Better yet, how can I know if the name I would like to have is no longer be available?  I would like to keep my first name, "courageous" but would like to change my last name from, "Chrome" to "Clarity".  Is Clarity retired or might be available?  Is there a list of retired names?  Can I submit a ticket requesting that a certain name be made available?

You can freely change your first name, but your last name must be selected from a short list. You can't pick a last name that isn't on the list. Alternatively you can select "Resident" as your last name which effectively gets rid of it altogether (which is what I did).  You can then choose "CourageousClarity" as your first name. 

There is a list of retired names at www.slnamewatch.com but they don't accept new name suggestions from users. Clarity has been used, retired in 2010, so unfortunately it's gone for ever. They will never bring back old names.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

if you click the link in the post above, this one:  http://slnamewatch.com/?action=list_records&status_filter=heritage&sort_order=ASC&order_by=last_name
 you can all ( as far i know) last names that are used already in the old system.

Clarity will be , as said nót be available, not even by ticket.

"Last name was never open, or it was closed prior to SLNameWatch.com launch date."

Wow, mine doesn't even show up there. 

I feel... ancient :P

Edited by Marsellus Walcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.