Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

Isn't that a feather cut?

Ok, basically a Karen is an ear length blonde bob, preferably bleached or at least highlighted.

The ones I have seen "quoted" are more like this. Short in back, angled to the front. Kinda teased. Often with frosted stripes. They are definitely "hard" styles in attitude. I've seen similar bob styles. Yay brunettes! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2020 at 1:40 AM, Jordan Whitt said:

I'm still gonna limit my time here, and think I shall stick to the fluffy, mindless and fun threads where I don't get called a "Karen" or troll for having a differing opinion.  

It was Jordan speaking in this thread that made me look up what a Karen was.  I read her posts in the other thread.  I don't believe she was being "a Karen".  Hers included no racial hurt towards anyone.  But, this is just my opinion of it.  

It's odd too about this section of the forum because it says when you open the forums page, it reads Second Life Discussions Welcome Here where the General Discussion area of the forum is.

And, see how she's putting "Karen" in quotes in her post above.  Maybe she doesn't even know what she is being called.  Neither do I.  

 

 

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

The ones I have seen "quoted" are more like this. Short in back, angled to the front. Kinda teased. Often with frosted stripes. They are definitely "hard" styles in attitude. I've seen similar bob styles. Yay brunettes! :)

I suppose the idea is that it's a high maintenance style because Karens are wealthy and vain with far too much free time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2020 at 1:40 AM, Jordan Whitt said:

I'm still gonna limit my time here, and think I shall stick to the fluffy, mindless and fun threads where I don't get called a "Karen" or troll for having a differing opinion.  

Well, I like Jordan and I didn't want to see her run off.  I wanted to hear what she had to say.  She was run off in another thread by a man who is not speaking in this thread.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Blonde bob, preferably not natural blonde, but shorter than yours.

 

55 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

image.png.d508e7747fd0f2cad83d80444105d5c4.png

Ok, thank god. And ewww. (Maddy aside; she always looks great.)

I have a ton of hair, almost all of it short and blonde (and yes, dahling, of course it's "natural"!), but nothing like that that I can think of.

33 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I suppose the idea is that it's a high maintenance style because Karens are wealthy and vain with far too much free time.

Also not me! I just right-click and choose "Add." Voila.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Damn you English-only autocorrect!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amina made a great point about the inherent misogyny of a gendered term like "Karen." I wonder, though, if one of the very subtle reasons why this is so frequently applied by women to women isn't a lingering (and understandable) resentment about the way in which Second Wave Feminism tended to benefit mostly middle-class white women, while abandoning the black women who were, early on in the movement anyway, absolutely vital allies. My point being that these "Karens" represent precisely the kind of woman who did benefit from the gains of the Women's Lib movement, and who also demonstrate a lack of empathy for those who did not.

I generally avoid terms like "Karen." Also "SJW," "MRA," "TERF," and other handy-dandy one-word put downs because they are not merely slurs, but also ways of reducing the complexity of the perspectives they are attacking to a small set of generally negative bullet-points. Calling someone a "Karen" (or a "TERF," etc.) doesn't enable conversation: it dismissively shuts it down.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

 

Ok, thank god. And ewww. (Maddy aside; she always looks great.)

I have a ton of hair, almost all of it short and blonde (and yes, dahling, of course it's "natural"!), but nothing like that that I can think of.

Also not me! I just right-click and choose "Add." Viola.

A short, blunt angled bob still counts as a Karen in the right circumstances... just saying...

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Amina made a great point about the inherent misogyny of a gendered term like "Karen." I wonder, though, if one of the very subtle reasons why this is so frequently applied by women to women isn't a lingering (and understandable) resentment about the way in which Second Wave Feminism tended to benefit mostly middle-class white women, while abandoning the plight of the black women who were, early on in the movement anyway, absolutely vital allies.

I generally avoid terms like "Karen." Also "SJW," "MRA," "TERF," and other handy-dandy one-word put downs because they are not merely slurs, but also ways of reducing the complexity of the perspectives they are attacking to a small set of generally negative bullet-points. Calling someone a "Karen" (or a "TERF," etc.) doesn't enable conversation: it dismissively shuts it down.

or... maybe women are just catty...

mew

tumblr_oacuc5iIWq1rhrmq2o1_1280.thumb.gif.cce5dd967409f05e3c4e760659f837bb.gif

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jordan was first attacked rather viciously by a man when she was just new and was called mindless and all kinds of other things when it was nothing, nothing at all but a joke she posted and she said she was new, she didn't know you couldn't post a little joke here.  I don't know if this is a way to greet somebody here on SL forums.  But, yeah I've spoken enough about a way to compromise but I don't know if anyone is listening nor cares to look for a change for the betterment of the SL community or not.   That compromise is to move an OFF TOPIC section down near where the Adult Section is and leave this area General Discussions about Second Life.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Amina made a great point about the inherent misogyny of a gendered term like "Karen." I wonder, though, if one of the very subtle reasons why this is so frequently applied by women to women isn't a lingering (and understandable) resentment about the way in which Second Wave Feminism tended to benefit mostly middle-class white women, while abandoning the black women who were, early on in the movement anyway, absolutely vital allies. My point being that these "Karens" represent precisely the kind of woman who did benefit from the gains of the Women's Lib movement, and who also demonstrate a lack of empathy for those who did not.

I honestly don't think it's anywhere near that well thought out. If the idea was to draw attention to the minority women who got sidelined, I can't see how on earth this nasty stereotype helps. It just looks like yet another "screechy overprivileged harridan" caricature of the kind that's been in use at least since the time of the suffragettes. 

Which is not to say that your criticisms of second wave feminism are wrong. Just that I don't think the Karen meme is in any way that intelligent, well-intentioned or original.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Just that I don't think the Karen meme is in any way that intelligent, well-intentioned or original.

   Unlike every other meme fad on the Internet . . . :P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly haven't found women to be any more unpleasant about each other in general than men, though they tend to home in on different things to criticise. Certainly I've known plenty of men to make nasty remarks about women's appearance and so on. 

My father was without a doubt the biggest and whingiest b***h I've ever had to deal with, and I say that as someone who was once a teenage girl. My brother was no saint but he saw our father and steered well clear of all that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Jordan was first attacked rather viciously by a man when she was just new and was called mindless and all kinds of other things when it was nothing, nothing at all but a joke she posted and she said she was new, she didn't know you couldn't post a little joke here.  I don't know if this is a way to greet somebody here on SL forums. 

Are you sure you have the right person?  Jordan started posting on the forums back in 2014 and I can't find her being attacked in any of those early posts.  In more recent posts, I couldn't find reference to a joke anywhere.   She got into some disagreements with some folks in the "Making things more complicated isn't improvement" thread and again in the BLM Support thread. I didn't go back and read all of the responses to her posts, but based on her own posts/responses, I didn't get the sense that she was being "viciously attacked" anywhere.  Granted it is possible that I missed or just don't recall those attacks.

 

 

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

But, yeah I've spoken enough about a way to compromise but I don't know if anyone is listening nor cares to look for a change for the betterment of the SL community or not.   That compromise is to move an OFF TOPIC section down near where the Adult Section is and leave this area General Discussions about Second Life.  

I just personally don't think trying to move topics around is going to change anything.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you sure you have the right person?  Jordan started posting on the forums back in 2014 and I can't find her being attacked in any of those early posts.  In more recent posts, I couldn't find reference to a joke anywhere.   She got into some disagreements with some folks in the "Making things more complicated isn't improvement" thread and again in the BLM Support thread. I didn't go back and read all of the responses to her posts, but based on her own posts/responses, I didn't get the sense that she was being "viciously attacked" anywhere.  Granted it is possible that I missed or just don't recall those attacks.

 

 

EDIT:  Yes, it's her name.  Here is the discourse of one of the threads I remember.   Jordan was the first to reply.  She may have been new to this section of the forums.  

 

45 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just personally don't think trying to move topics around is going to change anything.

No, not move topics.  Move and/or create an OFF TOPIC section for the forum so it's not so front and center to say more near where the Adult Section of the forum is, and keep this General Discussion area for discussions about Second Life.  I'm suggesting this because this area is kind of front and center and people are being greeted not too friendly sometimes.   

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I honestly don't think it's anywhere near that well thought out. If the idea was to draw attention to the minority women who got sidelined, I can't see how on earth this nasty stereotype helps. It just looks like yet another "screechy overprivileged harridan" caricature of the kind that's been in use at least since the time of the suffragettes. 

Which is not to say that your criticisms of second wave feminism are wrong. Just that I don't think the Karen meme is in any way that intelligent, well-intentioned or original.

No, you're right . . . and I also didn't explain myself very well. What I was trying to get at, I guess, is that the attitude towards a certain type of white woman -- privileged, self-entitled, class-and race- conscious -- that is embodied in the stereotypical "Karen" might be, in part, an unconscious articulation more generally of the sense that black women must have of having been "left behind" by feminism. If that's true (and I may be overthinking it), it is definitely not helpful, however understandable it might be.

To me, the "Karen" meme sort of exemplifies what a friend of mine used to call "Fun Feminism," as exhibited by women who were militantly happy to use and defend the rights and privileges that Second Wave Feminism had won for them, but rather uninterested in working to extend those to women of colour and others who had not benefited from the movement. Frankly, I find such women annoying as hell also, although I wouldn't use a term like this to identify them for the reasons you yourself have already suggested.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, you're right . . . and I also didn't explain myself very well. What I was trying to get at, I guess, is that the attitude towards a certain type of white woman -- privileged, self-entitled, class-and race- conscious -- that is embodied in the stereotypical "Karen" might be, in part, an unconscious articulation more generally of the sense that black women must have of having been "left behind" by feminism. If that's true (and I may be overthinking it), it is definitely not helpful, however understandable it might be.

To me, the "Karen" meme sort of exemplifies what a friend of mine used to call "Fun Feminism," as exhibited by women who were militantly happy to use and defend the rights and privileges that Second Wave Feminism had won for them, but rather uninterested in working to extend those to women of colour and others who had not benefited from the movement. Frankly, I find such women annoying as hell also, although I wouldn't use a term like this to identify them for the reasons you yourself have already suggested.

The term I've heard for it is "fauxminism" or sometimes "white lady fauxminism".

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...