You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I found many ways of criticising her without bringing her gender into it. 

Agreed, much better to insult, if one must insult, without bringing gender into it.

I wonder if there's a male equivalent to this insult. Probably not, as it's basically an insult about a woman asserting herself too much, and that would be admired in a man.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah, I think this Karen meme was basically developed by a bunch of white adolescents or young men, peeved that their mother had/has too much control over them.

It originates with black women service workers who came to recognise consistent behaviours from white, middle-class women who rejected the help and credibility of people they considered 'beneath' them and would often resort to demanding to speak to 'the manager' who was most likely to be a white middle-class man who would appease them. It's racist, misogynistic and classist behaviour by the privileged who hide behind a mask of 'white female fragility' to bully marginalised people and uphold patriarchy.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, LexxiXhan said:
14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah, I think this Karen meme was basically developed by a bunch of white adolescents or young men, peeved that their mother had/has too much control over them.

It originates with black women service workers who came to recognise consistent behaviours from white, middle-class women who rejected the help and credibility of people they considered 'beneath' them and would often resort to demanding to speak to 'the manager' who was most likely to be a white middle-class man who would appease them. It's racist, misogynistic and classist behaviour by the privileged who hide behind a mask of 'white female fragility' to bully marginalised people and uphold patriarchy.

Really. I though it originated with some guy who was peeved over his girlfriend, who actually was named Karen. Saw that at Reddit.

3 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Well, @Orwar, if you ever get a taker for that "adult" job description, let me know, okay? There's much need for one. Or two. In RL, too.

None yet. I think I'll just go sit in a corner and play with Lego. Maybe I can build a massive 'Dethmaschine-X5,000B' and unleash it on silly people.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Agreed, much better to insult without bringing gender into it.

I wonder if there's a male equivalent to this insult. Probably not, as it's basically an insult about a woman asserting herself too much, and that would be admired in a man.

Yeah that ^^^

It would be better to move the OFF TOPIC section out of the front and center area here with a warning may include politics or something.  I say business first, politics second.  I'd like to share with SL users here without all this vitriol and especially about Trump whom none of us voted for.  Take it up with The Electoral College of America who elected him.  No American little person elects a president.  I'm sick of the white woman bashing.  I thought Jordan had a right to speak just like anyone else and I did not find her post a "Karen" nor need an FU.  I don't know.  I feel like I'm talking to deaf ears here.    

Edited by FairreLilette

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Really. I though it originated with some guy who was peeved over his girlfriend, who actually was named Karen. Saw that at Reddit.

Have I missed a joke somewhere?

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:
15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Agreed, much better to insult without bringing gender into it.

Yeah that ^^^

It would be better to move the OFF TOPIC section out of the front and center area here with a warning may include politics or something.  I say business first, politics second.  I'd like to share with SL users here without all this vitriol and especially about Trump whom none of us voted for.  Take it up with The Electoral College of America who elected him.  No American little person elects a president.  I'm sick of the white woman bashing.  I thought Jordan had a right to speak just like anyone else and I did not find her post a "Karen" nor need an FU.  I don't know.  I feel like I'm talking to deaf ears here. 

I'm sick of the woman-bashing too, unless she is (as Lexxi is pointing to) a  more privileged White woman who bashes a Black woman.   Boy does this all get confusing  :(      I might just start agreeing with the woman who proposed we just drop the distinctions and start treating EVERYbody with respect.

Edited by Luna Bliss

4 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Have I missed a joke somewhere?

lol no, I was tracking something from Wiki, through Urban Dictionary, and then over to Reddit.  Hopefully something scholarly can shed more light on where it came from.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm sick of the white woman bashing too, unless she is (as Lexxi is pointing to) a White woman who bashes Black woman.   Boy does this all get confusing  :(      I might just start agreeing with the woman who proposed we just drop the distinctions and start treating EVERYbody with respect.

It would be better if it goes away because my point was it's misunderstood.  I skimmed through looking it up but I would prefer to have this section be for Second Life and not involve my SL with politics.  An Off Topic Section for the forums somewhere else would be better, imo.  It's something to think about to make a compromise.  

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This article is a pretty good summation of its origins and context.

It exploded as a meme this year because of a tweet by notorious UK transmisogynist Julie Bindel that went viral after the Black and intersectional feminist Twitter communities schooled her in response to her question "Does anyone else think the ‘Karen’ slur is woman hating and based on class prejudice?". Well worth a read..

• Like 2

Boy did this thread take a funny turn! 

Btw if you have the Karen haircut, you're a Karen. Sorry, that's meme law. Nothing to be done I'm afraid, but wait til the meme subsides or your hair grows out.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

Btw if you have the Karen haircut, you're a Karen. Sorry, that's meme law. Nothing to be done I'm afraid, but wait til the meme subsides or your hair grows out.

/me gets the electric kitty shaver out and takes it to her head...

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

for goodness sake.. it were you and the "who's name i won't mention" who went totally on religion...

Well, I apologized in that other thread and said I'm off it now.  Why can't an apology be accepted?  I even said I was wrong, and I apologized from bringing it up at all and that it was not my intention to hurt anyone.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

What is a Karen haircut?

(She said, suddenly worried . . .)

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've started looking at it as my daily entertainment.

Wouldn't streaming John Oliver or I dunno, some mean man contest held in a foreign (to you) language be more entertaining than... what is being referenced? Even with people blocked I'm ODing.

1 hour ago, Gatogateau said:

sigh... and we're at Tari's point. And I do take responsibility for my own actions. Every once in a while though, just 

200.gif.28c664280c9762faebfcf3c331a0159e.gif

Now you get it :)

I have the patience of a saint...that's not an ego stroke, I really do, I have to in order to do what I do..

FFS has been comin' out my fingers soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much lately. 

When I'm ready to throw things, it's not me, it's them. :)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:
22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've started looking at it as my daily entertainment.

Wouldn't streaming John Oliver or I dunno, some mean man contest held in a foreign (to you) language be more entertaining than... what is being referenced? Even with people blocked I'm ODing.

Sometimes I have to laugh at the absurdity of it all or I'll simply sit down and start screaming and maybe never stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.