Any tips on getting started with DJing in SL?

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have the full version of Virtual DJ.  I also have a free server from:       www.freestreamhosting.org

However, I do not have a place to test it in world to see if it comes through or not, being a free server and all (im sure they are filled with people and get laggy)

Are there places in SL that can do a quick server test?

Also, I haven't DJed b4.. but I do have alot of music and a ton of time on my hands, and I've already learned how to stream from Virtual DJ to server and use mic and all that good stuff.  So I was also wondering if they have any places where noobie DJs can meet up and share tips/tricks and maybe do like a quick session event with all the noob djs passing the stream around or something to that affect?

4 answers to this question

My guess is that because it is a free service, you will not be provided to a direct link to the shoutcast server to tune in, rather they will provide you with a link format that will not work in SL but will only work on some webpage they provide so that they can show ads to your listeners.

DjWhiteBoi wrote:

I have the full version of Virtual DJ.  I also have a free server from:      

However, I do not have a place to test it in world to see if it comes through or not, being a free server and all (im sure they are filled with people and get laggy)

Are there places in SL that can do a quick server test?

Also, I haven't DJed b4.. but I do have alot of music and a ton of time on my hands, and I've already learned how to stream from Virtual DJ to server and use mic and all that good stuff.  So I was also wondering if they have any places where noobie DJs can meet up and share tips/tricks and maybe do like a quick session event with all the noob djs passing the stream around or something to that affect?

Hi DJ!  There is a DJ class offered at Help People Island on Saturdays.  Not sure what time.  Do a Google search on Help People Island to find the class schedule!  Hope this helps!

Peace!

They explain it right there on their webpage -- you have to send people to their webpage of your broadcast, and they open up a Flash player for people to hear you.  They pay for the service by putting ads on the webpage.  So they will never give you the URL for someone who isn't looking at their ads to hear the station.

You need the following to DJ inworld:

1) lots of music

2) at least 160Kbps unused UPLOAD bandwidth to send music and more to a relay server somewhere.

3) a DJ Broadcasting program like SAM or the shoutcast plugin in Winamp

4) a server elsewhere that simply mirrors your broadcast to the dozens of listener over a 100Mbps connection.

You setup your DJ broadcasting software so it sends the music to the remote computer on a certain port, and what username and password to connect with.  Then you give the url and port of your remote computer to whoever wants to hear, or to the parcel's media settings.  Many people think that they can just stream away from their home computers and not need the complication or expense of the server.  But every person listening will be taking 128Kbps out of your upload and even with 1Mbps upload capacity you can have no more than 7 listeners.  Newcomers are often shocked when they realize how few people they can stream music to over home connections -- thus the need for the relay servers.

There are several outfits in SL that offer the relay servers at a reasonable monthly price.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.