Jump to content
Axel Naxos

BoM and SIM packed with avatars!?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I was at a SIM yesterday for a BLM event ... as people arrived, obviously everything was slower ... ok, normal ...
But there were many avatars appearing deformed and naked ...
I do not speak English, but in my translator someone spoke ... "Oh, BoM is fu**ing this land!" and she said that after mentioning the infamous "forced nudism" ...
Although I use BoM in my AV, I don't technically understand the subject, but I was curious ... Is BoM good? On any occasion? Was the BoM connected to the nudity and deformation of the Avs?

Snap 2020-06-02 at 19.26.12.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Axel Naxos said:

I was at a SIM yesterday for a BLM event ... as people arrived, obviously everything was slower ... ok, normal ...
But there were many avatars appearing deformed and naked ...
I do not speak English, but in my translator someone spoke ... "Oh, BoM is fu**ing this land!" and she said that after mentioning the infamous "forced nudism" ...
Although I use BoM in my AV, I don't technically understand the subject, but I was curious ... Is BoM good? On any occasion? Was the BoM connected to the nudity and deformation of the Avs?

Snap 2020-06-02 at 19.26.12.png

It's not the BoM, it's mesh.  Mesh takes longer to render and thus folks end up naked and with parts all messed up.  Happens worse in really busy area.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Axel Naxos said:

Is BoM good? On any occasion? Was the BoM connected to the nudity and deformation of the Avs?

 

BoM - Bakes On Mesh

Brings classic avatar texture baking to modern mesh avatars.

It basically removes the need for appliers and allows people to use old-school clothing layer items, the servers bake a texture made up of the skin, alpha, tattoo and clothing layers your avatar is wearing. This eliminates the need for mesh avatars to have multiple layers of geometry for skin, tattoo and clothing, combining this whole stack into a single texture. This baking happens long before an avatar travels anywhere.

BoM is an awesome feature bringing a lot of flexibility back to dress up, reduces the need for onion skinned avatars (maitreya's BoM body now omits all the extra 'onion skin' layers' allowing the user to only use extra layers if they need it), which significantly reduces mesh avatar complexity, texture load times and VRAM usage.

If you're on a busy region and it's loading slowly, that's because it's a busy region and your SL client is doing its best. Be patient, reduce your draw distance and ignore people who find something or someone to blame the lag on.

(the amount of data to be fetched increases dramatically as draw distance goes up, even reducing it by a couple of meters can have a huge impact).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 11:59 PM, Axel Naxos said:

I do not speak English, but in my translator someone spoke ... "Oh, BoM is fu**ing this land!"

Classic example of somebody blaming LL for their own mistake.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they meant nipples and bits showing, but does not that show on all mesh bodies before they are loaded and the clothes on.

I am using nipple pasties and crotch pasties on layer, so I am always PG. And/or I use underwear on layers. They are baked on and showing even when the body parts are floating around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 6:20 AM, ChinRey said:

Classic example of somebody blaming LL for their own mistake.

I suppose you are saying that "mistake" was to assume that what happened on land would be caused by BoM ...
Even because I came to find out ... or if it is the lack of language on my part ... it would be sad ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BoM is great, I love it, and it really does make avatars rez faster, however, it seems that while a BoM mesh is rezzing, the system avatar appears. Those system avatars are usually nude* and often have weirdly deformed faces to trick kludgy Bento mesh heads into looking normal. That's different from pre-BoM mesh avatars which alpha-mask the whole system avatar to invisibility.

All told, net/net nudity might be about the same because with or without BoM the mesh body will rez in without attached mesh clothing. That the BoM body will rez sooner should partially (?) offset the mesh-rezzing interval when the nude system avatar appeared.

______________
*or maybe those initial system avatars get the same textures as whatever textures are baked to the BoM mesh? not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

BoM is great, I love it, and it really does make avatars rez faster, however, it seems that while a BoM mesh is rezzing, the system avatar appears. Those system avatars are usually nude* and often have weirdly deformed faces to trick kludgy Bento mesh heads into looking normal. That's different from pre-BoM mesh avatars which alpha-mask the whole system avatar to invisibility.

 

This thread describes the issue along with a possible solution.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

This thread describes the issue along with a possible solution.

Oh I like that very much; I'll try that.

Just in passing: am I correct in assuming that this BoM cube, and the system body, and the BoM Mesh body all are painted with the same baked textures?

Incidentally, I do something a bit similar: I wear a prim painted with a normalmap to trick viewers into pre-loading it, so it applies quicker and more reliably to the one layer of my BoM mesh body; otherwise the normalmap seems to lag far behind the baked texture loading, and sometimes annoyingly unloads and reloads repeatedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Qie Niangao said:

Oh I like that very much; I'll try that.

Just in passing: am I correct in assuming that this BoM cube, and the system body, and the BoM Mesh body all are painted with the same baked textures?

Incidentally, I do something a bit similar: I wear a prim painted with a normalmap to trick viewers into pre-loading it, so it applies quicker and more reliably to the one layer of my BoM mesh body; otherwise the normalmap seems to lag far behind the baked texture loading, and sometimes annoyingly unloads and reloads repeatedly.

Yes - the bake service doesn't really know what the bake is going to end up on; it just knows, "Composite these and send them out on this channel."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anybody else wants to try the BoM texture pre-loading prim, here's a script you can drop in a prim to paint eight of the eleven possible BOM textures, each on a face, so you can then remove the script, shrink the carved-up box, and wear it somewhere inconspicuous. It might be kind of instructive about how BoM works, too, if that's still mysterious. (I think you can set all sides to 100% alpha and the textures will load just as well.)

list BOM_TEXTURES =
    [ IMG_USE_BAKED_HEAD
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_UPPER
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_LOWER
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_EYES
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_HAIR
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_LEFTARM
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_LEFTLEG
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_SKIRT
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_AUX1
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_AUX2
    , IMG_USE_BAKED_AUX3
    ]; // Sort the ones you don't use to the bottom; uses 8 of 11

default
{
    state_entry()
    {
        list paramList =    // carve a box to get eight faces
            [ PRIM_TYPE, PRIM_TYPE_BOX, PRIM_HOLE_DEFAULT, <0,0.875,0>, 0.5, ZERO_VECTOR, <1,1,0>, ZERO_VECTOR ];
        integer face = 8;
        while (0 <= --face)
            paramList += [ PRIM_TEXTURE, face, llList2String(BOM_TEXTURES, face), <1,1,0>, ZERO_VECTOR, 0.0 ];
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast( LINK_THIS, paramList );
    }
}

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...