Jump to content

Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I just hate it when elderly people throw themselves backward onto the sidewalk and crack their heads open and bleed all over the place and get admitted to the hospital just to make the police look bad. 

Imagine the money he could make as a stunt man.  He even activated the fake blood at just the right moment  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not as such, no. We don't really have that kind of thing here as, well, our law enforcement seldom gun down people - and whilst I obviously do not condone of it, I'm hesitant to give my 'official' (i.

Alrighty, now that I've gone ahead and cleared out some not so pleasant posts from this thread I wanted to drop a quick note here. As many of you have seen me say several times before, delving in

Thank you for this.   Black woman here.  Of A Certain Age.  I have my BLM shirt.   For whatever that means. (freewheeling it here, went from wanting to say something to not wanting to say anythi

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Should have seen this coming, I guess.

Right after this incident happened, Qanon was already working hard to claim that it was a set up, even going to far as to suggest that the blood wasn't real and he was wearing a fake blood sack under his shirt with a tube leading to his ear. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Right after this incident happened, Qanon was already working hard to claim that it was a set up, even going to far as to suggest that the blood wasn't real and he was wearing a fake blood sack under his shirt with a tube leading to his ear. 

Damn, that was some good costuming if they managed to use that to fool the hospital into admitting the guy and keeping him all this time! SMDH.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
Typo. They happen.
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Right! Just like Canada, which never had a revolution, is . . .

Oh. Wait.

It's completely valid to seek out the historic causes of racism in the US. Some of those are unquestionably embedded in the particular negotiations that occurred between north and south American colonies in the Revolution, and some of that in turn was imprinted into the US Constitution.

However, the British certainly do not get exoneration. The profits they made from the slave trade in the 18th century helped finance the Industrial Revolution and their empire.

You had a failed rebellion in 1837-1838, may want to brush up on your history.  There was even a failed push at the time to join Canada to the US.  Following that rebellion, the Brits set up "responsible local government" or some such term, in other words, limited autonomy, which fobbed off your traitorous minority (errrr independence minded minority) at the time.  You were not a self-governing dominion until the 1860's.  By that point, you had very little net economic impact for the Crown, the US was (especially coming off the Civil War) one of the strongest military powers in the world, and not exactly close buddies with the Britain yet, so why bother with the expense and trouble of ruling the frozen tundra?  The decision to give you full autonomy looks very different if the US is still a (strong economic and military) part of the British Empire at that point.  After all, if you started rattling for independence, the Crown could have sent Sherman up there to burn York again 😛

The point is, fantasizing about how things would be different had a major event turned out differently 250 years ago is a fun parlor game, but to seriously think you'd be better off is foolish, because history is a complicated wed of cause and effect.  You could very well have never been born (actually that is probable, because your great great great great great grandparents very well may never have met) or, heck, you could be speaking Spanish as an oppressed subject of King Carlos XII or whatever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Already working on my duel dual citizenship application! I'm already half British so I've only got a little bit more to go!

Well, FYI - British bacon sucks.  It's almost as bad as peameal bacon.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Critical mass, that's all we're going for here...to say that black people don't want others involved in this is ridiculous. Early on in this thread, someone said something to the effect of "I don't know much about this, I'll decide when I learn more about it" That's a start.

 

 

Most things though I can only speak from my perspective, so I'd be complicating the issue here.  It's time for me to learn more about it, otherwise I might make the waters too murky if I speak from my perspective.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Janet Voxel said:

Why? I can do them here.

Mitt.jpg

All I can say is ,Just Be leery of Mitt..

He's more an attention grabber and goes in the direction that works best for his personal gain..He's pandering there.

He'll flip on you in a heart beat.. Anyone remember his little 47% voter speech?

 

I don't trust any politicians, but Him and McCain are way at the top of my can't stand list..Well ,not McCain anymore..

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

No. Failed entry.

Nazis rally for Trump (eventually ) .. not against.

Sure seems like an odd move for Nazis to support the President who actually moved our Israeli embassy to Jerusalem, the only sitting President to visit the Western Wall, who basically told told the Palestinians to f off, and in general is super pro-Israel.  It's like the KKK supporting a guy who has gone out of his way to pardon Blacks (Obama didn't pardon Jack Johnson, but that racist Trump did), lifted Blacks economically to higher employment and wages than ever before, and, you know, signed prison reform, which helps fix a lot of the injustice created by our "first Back President" (Clinton, called that first I think by Toni Morrison) and his legislation and completely ignored by Obama.

But, then, Nazis and Klansmen aren't very bright, so you might be correct.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

By who?

By everyone who's been ganging up on anything she's said from what I can tell. You know, the sarcastic and dismissive " 😆 brigade"!

Also, yes I was being serious, even though it's just how I see it. Your answer wasn't actually very contradictive though was it? and a bit pointless. So, do you want to be the first black person "I'VE SEEN", to say "we appreciate the help and support from white people in our struggle"?
 

 

44 minutes ago, lHorizonl said:

Maybe you missed my comments then lol

Everytime I come in this thread there's 8+ pages since the last time, mostly packed with repetative crap from the same repetative people! I usually just click on the 2nd to last page and start from there....so yes, I probably did! 
 

 

48 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Ashlyn was very clear that she was speaking only for herself.

If one person can speak for an entire race, who is the voice for the white folks? Trump? Boris? Taylor Swift? You? You certainly don't speak for me, and you know that, so why does Ashlyn speak for all black people? I also expect you haven't looked very hard if you haven't seen another black person here or anywhere else contradict her.

I never said she wasn't. What I said was that I've never heard her or anyone else who's black asking for white support/help, by which I mean such as "Rev' Al" or Jesse or anyone of that ilk, including BLM as an organisation!
 

 

55 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I messed up, and I feel like sh*t about that. My words were also twisted into something utterly vile due to those heated emotions. Call that a backwards apology if you want - I am truly sorry I hurt a friend with my carelessly and stupidly chosen words, but that friend also didn't give me a chance to explain before jumping to the worst possible conclusion as to my meaning. Misunderstanding is a two-way street. I picked the absolute wrong words - I own that. She didn't give me a chance to explain what I was really trying to say. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference. Now we'll never know.

Nobody knows better than me how easily words can be twisted and taken very badly, even in peaceful conversations on these forums! Any "regular" knows that talking around certain people is like juggling hand grenades, you're one of those...as is Seicher..."peas in a pod" we call it! You messed up, it happens, however, I had no doubt you'd see and know it once things calmed down, same as I feel she will understand and forgive! (Please don't take that as me speaking for either of you, it's just my outlook on the matter).
 

 

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

If you're referring to the American Revolution, though, this American also thinks we'd probably be a lot better off if we'd lost the war

I was and I used "Americans" because I can never remember if "colonials" is one "l" or two! Basically, both sides were "British" at the time but that just makes things even more complicated! lol.
 

 

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

The fact of the matter, Dano, is that you and Alwin aren't Americans, you don't live here, and you really have no idea how black people are treated by American police because you base your opinions on how the police in your countries operate.

While true to a certain extent, I also have many years logged watching "real life situations" on YouTube and elsewhere, from both sides of the coin. Granted, nowhere near being over there and living it day to day, but they've shown real situations that show me the "reality" of things, much like we've all only seen the video of George being murdered and making our judgements I guess?
I've seen black and white cops gun down blacks and whites for legitimate reasons and for ridiculous reasons! I've seen blacks and whites gun down cops and storekeeper's with their hands above their heads, purely "for the hell of it"!  I, like millions of others, only watched the events of 9/11 on TV, does that mean I'm not entitled to form/voice an opinion on it because "you weren't there! You don't live here!"?
 

 

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

What it boils down to, though, is that when the police are dealing with black people, they make an early assumption that physical force is going to be necessary, no matter how innocuous the encounter is. Their posture is different, their bodies are tensed, their hand will be on their holster, and the attitude and manner of speaking is entirely different from their attitude and manner of speaking with me. 

I've seen black cops act the same way, I'm guessing it's "proceedure" and/or "experience". I can only imagine, but when a cop walks out of the door to go to work and never knows if they'll ever make it home again every day/night....that's going to have a huge mental affect! What needs to be worked out is where those "assumptions" come from? and how can it change quickly without more black people being slaughtered?
That's going to take a lot of work...from BOTH sides as well as from the "clowns" in the white house, congress, senate and states! 
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

By everyone who's been ganging up on anything she's said from what I can tell. You know, the sarcastic and dismissive " 😆 brigade"!

Also, yes I was being serious, even though it's just how I see it. Your answer wasn't actually very contradictive though was it? and a bit pointless. So, do you want to be the first black person "I'VE SEEN", to say "we appreciate the help and support from white people in our struggle"?

Dear White People: We really appreciate the help and support from you in this struggle.

Signed- A black person

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

to say that black people don't want others involved in this is ridiculous. Early on in this thread, someone said something to the effect of "I don't know much about this, I'll decide when I learn more about it" That's a start.

I feel like I was clouding the issue here though with my issues.  

However, if we don't at some time look at police brutality for all lives, than we cannot see the forest, we only see the trees.  

Also, Ashlyn needs to realize that the monies proposed here for change are all our monies; all tax payers money.  We will need to see the forest eventually.

But, right now, I don't want to cloud the issue with my personal issues of my family who have suffered a tremendous loss due to police brutality.  My sister and my nephew being nearly beaten to death by an out of clothes police officer on their own homestead property that they owned.  I don't feel I need to involve this at this time because no one here can help.  What's done is done, and my family is the only one who can hands on help my sister other than her team of doctors.  

So, this is BLM against police brutality...where do I fit in Janet?  I'm not sure as I'm not Black.  And, also I'm not sure about clouding the issue with too many other things (personal things) as I don't feel it's going to help this situation of oppression towards Blacks either.   All it shows is I know what's it's like for a family to go through.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

You had a failed rebellion in 1837-1838, may want to brush up on your history.  There was even a failed push at the time to join Canada to the US.  Following that rebellion, the Brits set up "responsible local government" or some such term, in other words, limited autonomy, which fobbed off your traitorous minority (errrr independence minded minority) at the time.  You were not a self-governing dominion until the 1860's.  By that point, you had very little net economic impact for the Crown, the US was (especially coming off the Civil War) one of the strongest military powers in the world, and not exactly close buddies with the Britain yet, so why bother with the expense and trouble of ruling the frozen tundra?  The decision to give you full autonomy looks very different if the US is still a (strong economic and military) part of the British Empire at that point.  After all, if you started rattling for independence, the Crown could have sent Sherman up there to burn York again 😛

The point is, fantasizing about how things would be different had a major event turned out differently 250 years ago is a fun parlor game, but to seriously think you'd be better off is foolish, because history is a complicated wed of cause and effect.  You could very well have never been born (actually that is probable, because your great great great great great grandparents very well may never have met) or, heck, you could be speaking Spanish as an oppressed subject of King Carlos XII or whatever. 

Um, my knowledge of Canadian history is fine, Tolya, and I'm pretty sure far exceeds yours. In fact, I spent 8 years working at a local historical board in Toronto, so I'm pretty up on the 1837 Rebellions, actually. The Upper Canada rebellion was a pathetic farce that never came even close to seriously challenging the Family Compact and British rule. The Lower Canada rebellion was a much more serious affair, but even it was ultimately a flash in the pan. More interesting and significant in many ways were the Metis uprisings a few decades later in the new western provinces/territories.

The rest of your analysis is not without merit, but it still doesn't address the point that it was quite possible to achieve independence without bloodshed. Australia and New Zealand, neither of which were threatened or influenced by the US, also managed to achieve independence without a war, albeit at a later date (mostly because they were much newer and smaller).

In any case . . . this is all a digression from the main point of this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Also, yes I was being serious, even though it's just how I see it. Your answer wasn't actually very contradictive though was it? and a bit pointless. So, do you want to be the first black person "I'VE SEEN", to say "we appreciate the help and support from white people in our struggle"?

<irony>It's mighty white of us to pitch in, isn't it? Aren't we wonderful!</irony>

Dano, the point is that racism is a white problem. In fact, really, we are the problem. We're not merely providing "help and support," like some sort of benevolent imperialists, to people who are struggling -- we are trying to fix ourselves. Black's don't "owe" us thanks for that.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

I feel like I was clouding the issue here though with my issues.  

However, if we don't at some time look at police brutality for all lives, than we cannot see the forest, we only see the trees.  

Also, Ashlyn needs to realize that the monies proposed here for change are all our monies; all tax payers money.  We will need to see the forest eventually.

But, right now, I don't want to cloud the issue with my personal issues of my family who have suffered a tremendous loss due to police brutality.  My sister and my nephew being nearly beaten to death by an out of clothes police officer on their own homestead property that they owned.  I don't feel I need to involve this at this time because no one here can help.  What's done is done, and my family is the only one who can hands on help my sister other than her team of doctors.  

So, this is BLM against police brutality...where do I fit in Janet?  I'm not sure as I'm not Black.  And, also I'm not sure about clouding the issue with too many other things (personal things) as I don't feel it's going to help this situation of oppression towards Blacks either.   All it shows is I know what's it's like for a family to go through.  

Love how I'm being appointed the spokeswoman. 

This issue has already been clouded and will continue to be attempted to be clouded further. That doesn't seem to be a concern for other people, if you can relate in some way. That's a start.

If you're wondering where you fit in as a non-black person, the first thing you should do is ask yourself, do you care about this issue? If no, then that's your answer. If yes, start by listening and paying attention to what is going on. If your answer is "I know whats going on...but what can I doooooo?" The first thing you can do pick up the phone or shoot an email to your congressman or senator, you're likely going to get a voice mail. Takes a couple of minutes to do and again, you've done something. You do what ever you feel you are able to do; that's not for me to answer. You don't have to join a protest or wear a t-shirt in SL. You do what you're able to do.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Sure seems like an odd move for Nazis to support the President who actually moved our Israeli embassy to Jerusalem, the only sitting President to visit the Western Wall, who basically told told the Palestinians to f off, and in general is super pro-Israel.  It's like the KKK supporting a guy who has gone out of his way to pardon Blacks (Obama didn't pardon Jack Johnson, but that racist Trump did), lifted Blacks economically to higher employment and wages than ever before, and, you know, signed prison reform, which helps fix a lot of the injustice created by our "first Back President" (Clinton, called that first I think by Toni Morrison) and his legislation and completely ignored by Obama.

But, then, Nazis and Klansmen aren't very bright, so you might be correct.

 

220px-Roflcopter.gif.7ab16ed7b72f208ecc86e6eedebb4987.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...