Jump to content

Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I really don't think that people that oppose BLM, are agreeing with people that support it. Saying "all lives matter" while arguing against black lives matter, just doesn't make sense at all.  People do tend, in general, to try to make it more complicated than it needs to be.  Black lives matter does not have to be on par with rocket science, if you think black lives matter, then great!  If not, don't tell me all lives matter.  Don't try to complicate the very simple message, and turn it into something else.

 

I'm not saying you do, I'm just speaking in general.  

That's the problem happening in this thread, more than once. "People use it wrong, so you are too".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I know I get tense. I'm trying my best to be reasonable I guess when I see the videos with the burning buildings and the gun fire and the sirens it sounds and looks like a war zone and I feel a bit stressed.

sometimes when I get overwhelmed by the images and stories coming out of the USA breathlessly foretelling the imminent collapse of the USA, then I go and watch Caught in Providence on youtube. Whenever I do it reminds me of the good in the people of the USA. Not just from this judge but also the prosecutors and the people appearing before the court

the case of the first man in this video sums this up for me.  Person of principle meets judge of principle

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

What strikes me about this is that Trudeau shows the maturity to understand the difference between right and wrong, empathizing with the public mood and acting on it. The contrast with Trump's response is striking.

Well, here we must agree to disagree.  I saw the article as completely glossing over an indigenous woman's murder by the Canadian Police all the while Trudeau is taking a knee for George Floyd for a photo op.  However, whomever published that article is still really to blame as again it was Trump focused all the while completely ignoring a human being whom had been murdered also.  It's cheap politicking at it's worst to do that, saying there are problems in the U.S. I will deal with but I won't fix that which is right in front of me and right under my nose.  It's also called taking cheap pot shots.  I hate that about politicians - all politicians.  Trudeau should have said how he was going to make it right to the women's family who was murdered by the Canadian Police period not just gloss over it nor even give her name let alone say nothing about her but only speak of Floyd.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Overall, I'm not a fan. He's much better at producing good sound bites and photo ops than he is at actually doing anything about these things. (Although, I will give him credit for handling the pandemic pretty well.)

On the other hand, this kind of public support does matter, and does make a difference. So, points for that.

What most warms me about it is that he has accurately gauged where the sympathies of most Canadians lie: with BLM and the protestors.

Why do the sympathies lie with BLM instead of the murder of an indigenous woman by the Canadian Police?   I think he was making a political gesture and nothing more to be on the band wagon of everything is Trump's fault when it most certainly is not.  This is a global problem and many people are to blame far beyond Trump, far beyond Trump.  These are decades old problems.

I thought Trudeau acted completely classless towards the murder of this unnamed woman nor did he even say how he was going to remedy the situation with her family.

Yet the politicians and their media.  What can I say about it.  Media is so corrupt.  I wish there were an impartial media who would have covered the issue as a whole and included this indigenous woman who was murdered by the Canadian Police and given some information as to how Trudeau was going to help remedy the situation there, in Canada, in regards to her and shown respect for her.   Instead, it seems she's of no importance.  The media is a political cesspool of I could care less as long as I get what I want politically and it's usually about money to further their "trendy" political views.  In short, it stunk!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Well, here we must agree to disagree.  I saw the article as completely glossing over an indigenous woman's murder by the Canadian Police all the while Trudeau is taking a knee for George Floyd for a photo op.  However, whomever published that article is still really to blame as again it was Trump focused all the while completely ignoring a human being whom had been murdered also.  It's cheap politicking at it's worst to do that, saying there are problems in the U.S. I will deal with but I won't fix that which is right in front of me and right under my nose.  It's also called taking cheap pot shots.  I hate that about politicians - all politicians.  Trudeau should have said how he was going to make it right to the women's family who was murdered by the Canadian Police period not just gloss over it nor even give her name let alone say nothing about her but only speak of Floyd.  

The report you are citing is biassed to US focus because it is a US news media report.

Here from Canadian CBC you see a report with him talking specifically about racism in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-anti-black-racism-1.5593395

Your perception is mistaken because you aren't taking the context of the reporting into account.

Which is stark contrast to Trump who is blaming an imaginary Left wing conspiracy and threatening to bring in the national Guard against peaceful protestors. Even putting that into action, tear gassing peaceful protestors so he can get a photo op waving a bible.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

The report you are citing is biassed to US focus because it is a US news media report.

Here from Canadian CBC you see a report with him talking specifically about racism in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-anti-black-racism-1.5593395

Your perception is mistaken because you aren't taking the context of the reporting into account.

I don't think you even read my posts.  How many times have I said the reporting here is to blame?  Yet, did he take a knee for her?  I doubt it.  Yet I am not so naive that I do not know the politicians and media are in bed together to slant media whatever way they want.  But, still you said about the article I posted that you thought Trudeau acted oh so great as opposed to Trump.  And, there it goes towards Trump again.  You already said how you felt about Trudeau and how he acted according to the article I posted.  

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't think you even read my posts.  How many times have I said the reporting here is to blame?  Yet, did he take a knee for her?  I doubt it.  

Why is the reporting to blame? The bias is to be expected. They are reporting for an audience.

And that specific protest the kneeling was for the 8 minutes 46 seconds, but I am sure that he is not oblivious to the problems in Canada he spoke about them earlier in public.

Edited by Aethelwine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Why is the reporting to blame? The bias is to be expected. They are reporting for an audience.

that is why they are to blame. it should not be about getting more views but to give enough information for others to decide on their own, which means showing the bad and the good. which a lot of media does not do.

reporting the news and public/social events is not the same as it used to be. its all about how much you can sensationalize it is now. which often means leaving out unpopular facts.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

that is why they are to blame. it should not be about getting more views but to give enough information for others to decide on their own, which means showing the bad and the good. which a lot of media does not do.

reporting the news and public/social events is not the same as it used to be. its all about how much you can sensationalize it is now. which often means leaving out unpopular facts.

There are plenty of problems with bias in the media. The way they have a habit of treating personalities as experts, or trying to achieve a balance by putting a conspiracy theorist up against a scientist so they have "both sides" of a story.

But in this case the bias is a US Media outlet reporting on a story for a US audience. That sort of bias isn't an issue, it is to be expected, has always happened and always will happen. There is nothing wrong with it, when presenting a story you have to have your audience in mind, and when you read a story you too have to have that in mind.

 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But, still you said about the article I posted that you thought Trudeau acted oh so great as opposed to Trump.  And, there it goes towards Trump again.

It would have been worrisome had Trudeau been depicted responding like Trump has to BLM -- threatening to bring out the military, blaming Antifa, pretending George is watching from on high and celebrating a better economy.
Thank the Goddess for small favors.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It would have been worrisome had Trudeau been depicted responding like Trump has to BLM -- threatening to bring out the military, blaming Antifa, pretending George is watching from on high and celebrating a better economy.
Thank the Goddess for small favors.

and teargassing peaceful protestors for a photo op waving a bible.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

There is plenty of problems with bias in the media. The way they have a habit of putting of treating personalities as experts, or trying to achieve a balance by putting a conspiracy theorist up against a scientist so they have both sides of a story.

But in this case the bias is a US Media outlet reporting on a story for a US audience. That sort of bias isn't an issue, it is to be expected, has always happened and always will happen. There is nothing wrong with it, when presenting a story you have to have your audience in mind.

 

I read alot about the counter-culture that prevailed in the 1960's and affected many much needed changes, albeit it was so brutal and such losses via murder.  But, it's not anything new about the corrupt media and the media is the main target in many protest songs.   The murder of four students at Kent State University at the hands of The Police who were protesting the Vietnam War is talked about in the song "Ohio" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.  The outrage at the time was the media was saying it's only four students.  Only four.  How many died?  Four.  Oh, only four, well that's not too many.  

As far as celebrity mags or rag-mags, I don't read yellow journalism, though probably celebrities will give more respect to the Canadian indigenous woman who was murdered than Trudeau did.   

The media is not only biased, it's paid.

But, remembering that song "Ohio" about the murder of four students at Kent State University during the protesting of the Vietnam War has made me think more along the lines of "all lives matter".  We cannot give respect to one while ignoring others.  

Trudeau should have given her name and paid respect to her which he doesn't even do in the article you presented.  He glossed over it in that article too. 

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aethelwine said:

and teargassing peaceful protestors for a photo op waving a bible.

I have not seen proof of that.  If that happened, the videos have been pulled.  I asked for links, they don't play unless one subscribes and I don't want to subscribe even if it's free.  I have a life too and don't want needless emails and crap.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It would have been worrisome had Trudeau been depicted responding like Trump has to BLM -- threatening to bring out the military, blaming Antifa, pretending George is watching from on high and celebrating a better economy.
Thank the Goddess for small favors.

and teargassing peaceful protestors for a photo op waving a bible.

Yes, plus more and more of Trump's inadequate responses I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's reassuring to see which side Trudeau has chosen in the conflict...makes me think there's at least some sanity on this continent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

pretending George is watching from on high and celebrating a better economy.

That's not what Trump said about George and the economy.  But, I am going to paraphrase terribly here...he said something along the lines of the economy and the better job opportunities for Blacks is the way to fight oppression.  

It's still stinky but it's more along the lines of what he said.

Btw, I'm not a Trump supporter.  I'm just sick of this it's all about Trump.  I think we ignore global and decades old problems by shifting focus off the individuals.  It's not about him.  It's about people.  

As far as rioting and looting other people's property, what should be done here?  

Edit:  I think it's stinky because he shouldn't have used George's name in there.  It lacks respect to the man to me because George Floyd cannot partake in any better economy or job because he is dead.   

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Btw, I'm not a Trump supporter.  I'm just sick of this it's all about Trump.  I think we ignore global and decades old problems by shifting focus of the individuals.  It's not about him.  It's about people.

We need to focus on Trump at times because he could lead us into a disaster unimaginable if we don't keep track of his antics and voice our opposition.

I'm totally with you about the plight of indigenous women...it's a real problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_and_murdered_Indigenous_women

At the same time I don't see Trudeau being at fault in any way, via taking a knee and showing which side he's on. Doing this now, in the midst of the chaos surrounding BLM, a very pressing matter that is currently in the forefront worldwide, does not preclude concern about all POC.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I have not seen proof of that.  If that happened, the videos have been pulled.  I asked for links, they don't play unless one subscribes and I don't want to subscribe even if it's free.  I have a life too and don't want needless emails and crap.  

You can see a report here with no firewall. The Trump campaign denied it was tear gas because it was pepper spray they used. But according to the CDC, Pepper spray is still tear gas, it has the same effects.

In trying to suppress negative reporting all they did was confirm it.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/06/trump-dc-protest-tear-gas-park-police/

I find it kind of astonishing all those reports have missed you. I don't even live in the USA.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Btw, I'm not a Trump supporter.  I'm just sick of this it's all about Trump.  I think we ignore global and decades old problems by shifting focus off the individuals.  It's not about him.  It's about people.  

To be fair all he had to do was act like a human being for a little while, instead he took it personally and has done his damnedest to make the story about him. He really has only himself to blame for that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

You can see a report here with no firewall. The Trump campaign denied it was tear gas because it was pepper spray they used. But according to the CDC, Pepper spray is still tear gas, it has the same effects.

In trying to suppress negative reporting all they did was confirm it.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/06/trump-dc-protest-tear-gas-park-police/

I find it kind of astonishing all those reports have missed you. I don't even live in the USA.

I want to see it real time in a video.  But, yes..for now, it appears they have been pulled, the real time videos.   Or, if you attempt to see a video when you click on the arrow you are prompted to subscribe.  You have to subscribe or you cannot watch the video.  At least the one I tried to play.  It won't play without a subscription which I don't want the emails and spam.   The above link you posted is a still photograph.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I want to see it real time in a video.  But, yes..for now, it appears they have been pulled, the real time videos.   Or, if you attempt to see a video when you click on the arrow you are prompted to subscribe.  You have to subscribe or you cannot watch the video.  At least the one I tried to play.  It won't play without a subscription which I don't want the emails and spam.

I can see them at Youtube using Firefox browser. I am signed in with my Google account, don't know if that makes a difference.

 

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

To be fair all he had to do was act like a human being for a little while, instead he took it personally and has done his damnedest to make the story about him. He really has only himself to blame for that.

Yes, but he decided to do this tweeting thing which I feel is bad for all people because that's what the media will focus on.  He is in a great part due to this it's all about me thing because of his tweeting.  

I think Biden will win, however and the Trump-capades will end soon.   Meanwhile, I don't think other countries should play into the Trump-capades.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I think Biden will win, however and the Trump-capades will end soon.

I hope so. I just hope Trump doesn't start a war in the meantime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever we think about calls to defund the police in particular areas, it's become all too obvious over recent days that in many cases relations between the police and the community they're supposed to be protecting and serving have broken down, and that the people to whom the public should be able to turn for help and protection are seen, by many, as a threatening outside body.     People will remember that woman in Central Park who warned the man who told her to put her dog back on the leash that she was going to call the police and tell them an African American man was threatening her life -- she knew exactly what she was doing with that threat, and  when a threat to call the police can convincingly (though unsuccessfully in this case) be used in this way, there's something badly wrong.

There are two points I would make.    First, to my mind it would be a good idea, before getting too deep into a debate about defunding the police in particular areas, first to listen what the people from those areas are actually proposing.    They're the people who know the area and understand the problems, as they experience them, and who know how they would like to see it solved,  and know why they want to see it solved that way, and who have to live with the consequences.     

As a white Brit who is old enough to remember decolonisation in the 1960s, I have a particular historical perspective on what I've been seeing this last week, and it looks to me very like a colonial police force in conflict with a colonised population who would rather police themselves,   Under those circumstances it's a good idea to listen.

That takes me to my second point, which I make with some trepidation, since for a long part of my life we in the UK had a good example  just across St George's Channel of what happens when relationships between the community and local law enforcement break down.   From 1969 and 1972, parts of Belfast and Derry were cordoned off by local Republicans, and the British Army and the RUC didn't enter.    Policing was done by local vigilantes and the Provisional and Official IRA.    Margaret Thatcher put an end to the no go areas, sending the troops in to dismantle the barricades, but for years later, until the Peace Agreement, in effect the Army and the RUC operated as an occupying power in those areas, with actual policing being done informally by PIRA.   If someone burgled your house in one of those areas, you didn't complain to the police (and probably wouldn't have wanted any contact with them) but took the matter to the local community organisers (I use a deliberately neutral and all-encompassing term) who would take, or cause to be taken, whatever action they saw fit, or none whatsoever.

That's not a good state of affairs at all, but it's one that can all too easily come about when a sufficient large section of local communities withdraw their consent to be policed by the local authorities, and it's one I hope the US can avoid.     

It also occurs to me that the Civil Rights movement in Northern  Ireland  back in the 60s was originally inspired  by the US Civil Rights Movement's struggles against discrimination, gerrymandering and violent and discriminatory policing, and things went from bad to worse as the authorities tried, with increasing force and continuing lack of success, to restore law and order.     

I don't seek to draw any particular analogies here other than to say that NI is an example of how badly this kind of situation can go wrong if badly handled.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

The Trump campaign denied it was tear gas because it was pepper spray they used. But according to the CDC, Pepper spray is still tear gas, it has the same effects.

"Well, actually, we used pepper spray... "  

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...