Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I just want to point out that you have made an open public admission to anyone who sees what you write that you are not open to criticism and thus are acting purely on emotion without critical thought, and willing ignorance of any information that might not favor your personal beliefs. 

No, just you.

• Like 4

I think I have diligently read what has been written and found sources to make counter arguments.

I think that in saying it is not worth my time to provide sources from the other side to you, you admit you do not read them and do not intend to engage in discourse.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

In case anyone is interested, i found a list of buildings destroyed or damaged by looting and fire in Minneapolis.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/a-list-of-the-buildings-damaged-looted-in-minneapolis-and-st-paul

Many of these appear to be small businesses, the sort of place that would have taken someones life savings to open and a lifelong dream and work to make it to where they are. I can imagine many of these people at this point in their life throwing their hands in the air and simply giving up.

why would they give up so easily when insurance covers things like this?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I see what may have driven BullyBees to their behavior. There are far worse behaviors..... far, far worse. I see the light. I am humbled. Please forgive me. No more will I chastise the Bees.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The fact that Trump blames everything on "Antifa" (and for some bizarre reason thinks that is an organization) should tell you all you need to know. 🙄

Yeah, it's sketchy at best as I decided to go read about it after I posted it.  The way I feel about COVID-19 and the protesting it's very, very sketchy reporting and assumptions as all I have is internet, no TV.  I dropped TV four years ago.  I don't watch TV anymore but I've been beginning to feel I could use to get a TV because of all of this shoddy reporting.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah, it's sketchy at best as I decided to go read about it after I posted it.  The way I feel about COVID-19 and the protesting it's very, very sketchy reporting and assumptions as all I have is internet, no TV.  I dropped TV four years ago.  I don't watch TV anymore but I've been beginning to feel I could use to get a TV because of all of this shoddy reporting.  

The problem persists on TV as well. I would recommend checking out any news source you come across with one of the media bias charts. I'm not saying they are perfect, but I've found them to be accurate enough to give me a good idea about how much I believe what I am reading/seeing from certain news (or "news") organizations. Here's a link: https://www.adfontesmedia.com/?v=402f03a963ba

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I see what may have driven BullyBees to their behavior. There are far worse behaviors..... far, far worse. I see the light. I am humbled. Please forgive me. No more will I chastise the Bees.

Oh, I thought she just wanted to speak and didn't see it as a big deal.  I didn't read all she wrote but I'm tired.  I do need to rest.  

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

why would they give up so easily when insurance covers things like this?

I suppose you think insurance money comes from a magic money tree. Do you think that when looters go around burning up so many buildings that they will all be paid for? That there are even resources readily available to rebuild these buildings for the rubble? That the owners will have some way to make a living, some where to sleep whilst that happens? 

Your logic sounds the same to me as those people who go around throwing trash and saying it is somebody else's problem to clean up and idk about you but my parents would have whooped my ass for such behaviour

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh, I thought she just wanted to speak and didn't see it as a big deal.  I didn't read all she wrote but I'm tired.  I do need to rest.  

I wasn't referring to you here   :)   

4 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Do you think that when looters go around burning up so many buildings that they will all be paid for? That there are even resources readily available to rebuild these buildings for the rubble? That the owners will have some way to make a living, some where to sleep whilst that happens? 

Revolution is never easy, it's messy, it always has been. There's always collateral damage. Can't be helped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I wasn't referring to you here   :)   

Oh, okay...well, carry on your convo.  I need to go rest.  

The situation with COVID-19 is very bad in L.A. County.  I will read some about it tomorrow and give an update in the COVID thread.  People may be put in high risk categories here.  Those who are high risk right now are being asked to stay in as much as possible all the while business are opening.  This is how shoddy and sketchy the news is.  Cases are rising, high risk stay in, businesses are opening (and this is just for L.A. County), it's news that is all over the map.  Difficult to get a read on what is going on with protesters too.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I myself have stopped watching the news other than really for the weather.. Also a lot of shows  that used to be for entertainment that just went way too serious the last 3 to 4 years..

We dumped our service provider tv and went with a roku so we could weed out things much more..

I figure if something gets to me through the things I am doing now, it's got to be something serious and worth looking into..

This story is in just about everything I touch..I'm really surprised I haven't gotten an email from my antivirus company I used.. They are about the only ones so far that haven't sent me something in support of what is going on..

I don't really use walmart much,but even they sent me an email..

There seems to be a lot more traction right now than ever before from what I am noticing..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Revolution is never easy, it's messy, it always has been. There's always collateral damage. Can't be helped.

No. It can be helped. Nobody should lose their livelihood as collateral damage to someone else's cause that has nothing to do with them. They didn't sign up for this. 

I can't stand defeatist attitudes like these and I intend to call them out for what I think they are. Defeatist. A lack of leadership, a lack of control of the situation or willingness to take responsibility for it. 

Boys won't just be boys. Looters and anarchists won't just destroy whatever they feel like without responsibility. Wilful ignorance will be called out.

I hate to play devil's advocate but it is my feeling that I have to be the one who provides the counter argument when I find myself in an echo chamber. 

Edited by Extrude Ragu
Correction
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This story is in just about everything I touch..I'm really surprised I haven't gotten an email from my antivirus company I used.. They are about the only ones so far that haven't sent me something in support of what is going on..

I don't really use walmart much,but even they sent me an email..

There seems to be a lot more traction right now than ever before from what I am noticing.

First every company I ever even thought about Googling sent me emails explaining how they were super marvelous about COVID stuff. I rolled my eyes.

Now I'm getting all sorts of email for, as you say, support of what is going on. Most of them are just extolling their virtues of having a "diverse" employee base. Um. Yay? Some of the companies are doing more, explaining their financial support. I don't know what to think of it. Some of it seems sincere, some like pandering. If it wasn't just on the heels of all the emails about how wonderful these companies are about COVID I might be less suspicious and cynical. I just picture some PR person in a cubicle sending memos up the food chain to remind the higher ups to make it look like they care.

But... I do hope you're right about the traction.

19 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I suppose you think insurance money comes from a magic money tree. Do you think that when looters go around burning up so many buildings that they will all be paid for? That there are even resources readily available to rebuild these buildings for the rubble? That the owners will have some way to make a living, some where to sleep whilst that happens? 

Your logic sounds the same to me as those people who go around throwing trash and saying it is somebody else's problem to clean up and idk about you but my parents would have whooped my ass for such behaviour

I'm a business owner that wouldn't just toss my business away because of something like this.. one that helped my father build his three business up as he struggled to pull us out of poverty from the inner city of Chicago.

I don't know if you know this or not,but in most places, insurance is a requirement when dealing with the public.. Especially if you are surrounded by other businesses..

Maybe not act like business owners are so weak and this happens all the time when it doesn't..

I know what it takes to build a business and keep one going..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

First every company I ever even thought about Googling sent me emails explaining how they were super marvelous about COVID stuff. I rolled my eyes.

Now I'm getting all sorts of email for, as you say, support of what is going on. Most of them are just extolling their virtues of having a "diverse" employee base. Um. Yay? Some of the companies are doing more, explaining their financial support. I don't know what to think of it. Some of it seems sincere, some like pandering. If it wasn't just on the heels of all the emails about how wonderful these companies are about COVID I might be less suspicious and cynical. I just picture some PR person in a cubicle sending memos up the food chain to remind the higher ups to make it look like they care.

But... I do hope you're right about the traction.

Yea, it's hard to tell the motives behind them.. But i do notice it is mostly the really big things that they seem to feel to let us know about..

That's kind of my point in the meaning of traction.. Because i sure hope they don't start turning out like the social media and start backing every single thing and feeling the need to email me about it,because then I'm gonna have to cut them off as well from communication..hehehehe

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

No. It can be helped. Nobody should lose their livelihood as collateral damage to someone else's cause that has nothing to do with them. They didn't sign up for this. 

Wilful ignorance will be called out.

There's nothing you can do about it.  Call it out all you want but it won't change anything. Study history....big changes always contained some violence.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I think I have diligently read what has been written and found sources to make counter arguments.

I think that in saying it is not worth my time to provide sources from the other side to you, you admit you do not read them and do not intend to engage in discourse.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment 

You've already posted more than enough. I don't need to read every new flat earth screed before I dismiss them. But okay, let me know when you come up with another really good argument against dismantling systemic institutionalized racism.

• Like 3

Looting is wrong. Destroying property is wrong  People's lives are hurt, some badly, by these things. So... where's the argument?

I don't think anyone here is saying "Go Looters!" (or I missed that sub thread).

The protests are one thing.

The looting and vandalism are another.

The reasons for the protests are pretty clear. (I didn't say simple.)  Looting/vandalism less so. Can't rule out the outside agitators who ARE there.

The fact of looting/vandalism by some does not negate the reasons and need for the protests, and should not affect their efficacy.

When I fell and broke my left arm all to pieces, I also broke all the fingernails on the left hand. The two things happened at the same time, because of the same incident, but they were two different things. Luckily, my surgeons paid attention to my elbow and didn't call in a nail tech first. And yes, that's not a perfect metaphor, but it isn't lousy either. And yes, people who had businesses and finances affected are more important than my fingernails. But the protesters and all the reasons swirling behind that, and the need for change? That's the real topic.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm not sure why this article I pasted a few days ago about a Canadian indigenous woman who was shot and killed by The Canadian Police was over-looked.  I've suggested it's a global problem but seem to have been the only one to acknowledge that it is a global problem.  

Trudeau, wearing a black mask and surrounded by bodyguards, made a surprise appearance at the "No justice = No peace" rally in front of Parliament. His appearance came a day after police shot and killed an indigenous woman during a wellness check in eastern Canada. 

Demonstrations were held in other Canadian cities on Friday, including Toronto, where hundreds walked downtown in protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, while in police custody in Minnesota.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/stand-up-to-trump-canada-protesters-shout-to-trudeau-who-kneels-at-anti-racism-rally/ar-BB156jOu?li=BBnb7Kz

What strikes me about this is that Trudeau shows the maturity to understand the difference between right and wrong, empathizing with the public mood and acting on it. The contrast with Trump's response is striking.

• Like 2

Communities are a funny thing..you can live in the same area for years and never say a word to anyone..Then tragedy strike the whole area and see an amazing thing..

people that have never said a word to each other helping each other..

Something clicks in a lot of humans when they find they have something in common especially in tragedy..

Here is a small example.. just like two weeks ago we were at our house we have in town and a storm came up.. It was some really bad winds and I was looking out the front..

I noticed the roots giving away and seen it was about to go..I yelled, the tree is going..Before My sons and my husband could get to the window, it already hit the ground,just missing the power lines..

We went out the next morning and were standing around looking at the tree.. We had one guy show up right away that wanted to charge us 400.00 to cut it up and hall it off..

My husband had a funny little talk with him.. He seen the man needed the money so he offered to give him 100.00 to help..

Then other neighbors seen us out there and started to come out of their houses with chain saws and asking if we needed a hand..

Before you know it, we had a nice little community gathering of people in the front yard that lasted a good hour or so after the tree was finished..

Communities come together in many things,especially tragedy..

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Maybe not act like business owners are so weak and this happens all the time when it doesn't..

If you think that small business will survive this, along with those people in the news who had their low income homes burnt down then I am willing to humble down and take my place on the back seat. 

I only feel stressed when people appear to be wilfully ignoring problems that appear to be quite pressing. I want to know that something will be done. That's all.

• Like 1

Here's me being unpopular again...

There are different sides to be heard, and different ways to say them. I don't agree with what a lot of @Extrude Ragu has been saying, although there's a bit in there that I do. However, with all the crazy fighting that has been going on in the forums since the lockdown with COVID, I'm happy to see someone voicing a different opinion in a calm and polite manner, and I think Extrude has been doing that. Thank you. Usually by now it would be ad hominems flying and all sorts of things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

What strikes me about this is that Trudeau shows the maturity to understand the difference between right and wrong, empathizing with the public mood and acting on it. The contrast with Trump's response is striking.

Overall, I'm not a fan. He's much better at producing good sound bites and photo ops than he is at actually doing anything about these things. (Although, I will give him credit for handling the pandemic pretty well.)

On the other hand, this kind of public support does matter, and does make a difference. So, points for that.

What most warms me about it is that he has accurately gauged where the sympathies of most Canadians lie: with BLM and the protestors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.