Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:
21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I would like to see those so outraged about violence at protests be as horrified by the violence perpetrated against people of color throughout the centuries.

Don't lump me in with your racist views on others.

I am horrified by it all.

I want everybody to treat everyone as individuals. Did that person do a good thing to that person? Did that person do a bad thing to that person? Race does not need to enter the equation at all. It's that simple.

I will never let it become a race thing, and neither should you.

I don't think you would judge others according to their race - you seem like a kind person - at least not to the degree that 'real' racists do (we are all a little prejudiced however).

But by being so naive you inadvertently lend your weight to the oppressor's side.  Your 'shoulds" and "it's that simple" depict a world that doesn't exist.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

That isn't to say that we should just give up; we need to grapple with the issues that we are faced with

Yes, I would like you to grapple with the belief you stated the other day - you said that the patriarchy does not exist.

You also said that feminists can't read graphs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monykony said:

well, if you think the world only have two sides then you're right, unfurtunately the world is more complicated than that

Do my posts suggest that I haven't grasped this? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm all about white privilege. I own it, and can't avoid or renounce it. Indeed, I'm not ashamed of it -- for better or worse, it's who I am. Nor do I want to lose it. Rather, I want others to share it, so that it, in fact, ceases to be "privilege" at all.

It's more the privilege of being able to do nothing and feel good about it I was thinking of.

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But, yeah, there are also undoubtedly many who are committing acts of violence in support of BLM. When a system has brutally oppressed and dehumanized a community for 400 years, it is, as LBJ observed in your citation, hardly surprising that the anger spills over into acts of violence. I think history explains such violence; whether it justifies it, I'll leave to someone better versed in ethics than I to determine.

Every July 4th we celebrate our own revolution over the taxes on tea being too damn high. We have absolutely no problem justifying that. But violence born out of centuries of systematic racism and oppression? Yeah, that's a bit iffy. What would MLK say? Now go home, and if you behave exceptionally well for another sixty years, maybe we'll think about letting that boot off your neck just a little bit more.

9 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Maybe it's me, but it seems counter intuitive to promote treating everyone equally by focusing on what makes them different.

All lives matter! How can we pretend to treat everyone equally if we acknowledge the fact that we very much do not treat some people equally?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, monykony said:

yes they do, just read what you said before and find out

Looking back over my posts, I can see acknowledgement that well-intentioned people can be drawn into a poorly-intentioned movement, a deconstruction of the simplistic fallacy that enables this, a recognition that being white does not mean you have no problems, and an understanding that black people, at a class level, experience systemic harm to greater degree than white people, at a class level.

However, I also looked back over your posts, and I would agree that my writing and critical thinking skills are not at the same standards as yours. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

This came up in my Twitter feed  yesterday.  I have by far not been able to read every link.  But I place it here to share for anyone that might care to look.

https://citizenshipandsocialjustice.com/2015/07/10/curriculum-for-white-americans-to-educate-themselves-on-race-and-racism/

Morgan Freeman Narrator voice: They didn't look.

Not pointing fingers, just giving food for thought: I just think its funny some of the first responses are "I don't condone rioting and looting"  when that's not what the protests are even about. They are about people being murdered, sometimes on film with impunity....even after the whole thing was filmed. No legal action, no jobs are lost until...people start gathering en masse. BLM isn't about rioting and looting, its about systemic injustice that has reached a boiling point. It's just funny to me that the bulk of the responses are "But...rioting....looting" often, without even acknowledging what the protests are for...in any way...even marginally.

No, you don't have to wear a little mesh shirt or make a picture or donate or do anything. The issue here is this is turning into intellectual dishonesty and pretzel logic. You know BLM is not about rioting and looting. Even if you don't feel like making some token gesture on a video game, don't be disingenuous about the protests. Nobody is condoning looting and rioting. Its funny that's what the focus is on. BLM doesn't mean Black Lives Matter more than other lives. Why are some responses to that...ALL lives matter. Who said they didn't? It means Black Lives Matter as much as everybody else's....

Why is any of this that hard to understand?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 13

29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But by being so naive you inadvertently lend your weight to the oppressor's side.  Your 'shoulds" and "it's that simple" depict a world that doesn't exist.

100% this! I'm sure we would all love to live in a world where race (and other things like gender and sexuality) don't matter. Tragically that's not the reality of our world. Ask your black friends or gay friends if they can enjoy the luxury of a world where these things don't matter. If you don’t have any, then that’s a good place to start.

By ignoring or turning a blind eye to this, you become part of the problem not the solution. 

@Extrude Ragu I think your thoughts and intentions are really well meaning. Sadly we don't live in an idealistic utopia. Until we do, we need to fight for equality.

I really hope you don’t reply to this post but just go away and think about your opinion and maybe read a couple of books on race written by black authors to get a different perspective.

Edited by PixieGirrrrl
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The other problem is stereotyping of the Police, Luna as it's not uniform in all cities, states, countries.  Some are lone crazies, maybe even KKK here in America.  We have many black officers on the LAPD.  Many police of all skin colors everywhere are in unity against such brutality and protesting with the protesters.  

The problem of racial inequality I believe stems from poverty.  If we can improve/eradicate the poverty, people of all colors have a better chance in life to experience being a unique individual and a chance to get to know their own self; an experience of the self, as opposed to a gang.  

I wish we could do better in the greater Los Angeles area, but this drug war never seems to improve to tell you the truth.  Why we fail so badly here, I don't know.   But, I am glad marijuana has been legalized.  Other drugs, I don't like them around as they are very dangerous drugs.  

But, I was just thinking of "taggers" around the greater Los Angeles area.  Some of their art is quite good.  I was wondering just how many of those kids actually even get an opportunity to experience their individual artistic self?  I see such talent.  I used to photograph graffiti for a project.  Some are excellent artists.  Maybe we need to reduce the poverty to reduce the stereotyping?   Change or the solution lies elsewhere I think...but I'm trying to figure out the where...is it poverty contributing to the stereotyping and racial profiling?   Racial profiling I put the def for general FYI purposes as some may have never have heard of it.  

ra·cial pro·fil·ing

noun
US

1. the use of race or ethnicity as grounds for suspecting someone of having committed an offense.

In sl? Not really. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so unless the items where either.

A: free

B:All profits were going to BLM, the jail funds for protestors or other anti racism causes.

I have been donated to said rl causes what I can and will allocate my typical  sl/free time for the remaining two weeks until my next paycheck to them.

I encourage others do what they can in rl too. As well as rasing awareness in sl on how people can help.

And for one point I am not willing to debate at this time:  It happens in other countries and it is not an  problem of a bad few inviduals. It is a systematic issue.

Edited by Robin Kiyori
Adding things
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I understand BLM as a problem between law enforcement and black people. BLM is the response to multiple cases of law enforcement showing how black lives don't matter to them. My first instinct as a citizen is to fix the problem by changing law enforcement through voting for the politicians who supervise and make changes to law enforcement. Unfortunately, racial policing problems exist largely within Democrat controlled cities like mine. So the one thing I can do, besides walking on the street protesting, would be to vote for a change, possibly voting for a Republican mayor and city council. As a Democrat I don't want to do this but you can't fix problems in a city by keeping the same management.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

In sl? Not really. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so unless the items where either.

A: free

B:All profits were going to BLM, the jail funds for protestors or other anti racism causes.

I have been donated to said rl causes what I can and will allocate my typical  sl/free time for the remaining two weeks until my next paycheck to them.

I encourage others do what they can in rl too. As well as rasing awareness in sl on how people can help.

And for one point I am not willing to debate at this time:  It happens in other countries and it is not an  problem of a bad few inviduals. It is a systematic issue.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for this; you make good points.

I've actually compiled a list of merchants/creators who are giving away clothing or other items that advocate for BLM for free (or in a couple of cases, for L$1, so that the item can be gifted). The items include clothing, animations, protest signs, and tapestries. I'm grateful to these people for donating their time freely to show their support for the movement.

I've sent this list out to some of the groups for which I am an administrator; if anyone would like a copy of the notecard, please let me know in-world, and I'll send one along.

• Like 3

I have noticed a few people concerned about the possible illegality of some of the protesters' actions.  It made me think.  And I'm afraid I'm about to commit something of an internet faux pas.  Sorry not sorry. 

In the 1930s and 1940s, Germans removing gay, Jewish, differently abled, Roma, Jehovah s witnesses et al along to the ghettos and camps, were all operating strictly within the law.  Defying these orders was criminal.

When Richard and Mildred Loving got married in 1958 they were breaking the law, criminals.

When slaves escaped to Canada they were breaking the law, criminals.

When you dumped our tea into the harbour you were, yeah, you get it.

The real story of progress is littered with people who broke the law, and many of whom paid the highest price.

There's a reason for that famous Chinese curse, and interesting times are uncomfortable for the lucky and deadly for the rest.

Drumpf says he's all about law and order.  He isn't, but even if he were, that's not always a good thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

If people ARE looking for t shirts to show their solidarity and support for BLM I have a set in my store in world and on marketplace.  They are free.  They are for female avatars.  You can find them by searching the word slogan.  You don't have to buy anything.  I'm not advertising in general.  I hope this is not inappropriate for this forum. 

OMG, you are Baby Monkey? I wear your tees with, like, half of my outfits!

I mentioned above that I'd compiled a list of pro-BLM freebie merchandise; the BM tees are in there! Thank you so much for taking the time to produce these!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG, you are Baby Monkey? I wear your tees with, like, half of my outfits!

I mentioned above that I'd compiled a list of pro-BLM freebie merchandise; the BM tees are in there! Thank you so much for taking the time to produce these!!!

Well I like to think in a broader sense that we are all baby monkeys, but yes, I like to work from home in pyjamas :)  I'm glad you find the tees handy, and thank you for popping us on the list.  The more the merrier xxxxx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Your 'shoulds" and "it's that simple" depict a world that doesn't exist.

No. I refuse to accept this stance at all.

We must judge individuals on individual merits.

We must set the golden standard that all others should follow, and never stoop to the lowest common denominator or accept that as reality.

For as long as good people hold the world up to high standards and expectations, the sooner the world will reach those standards.

When you accept anything less, you are no longer a leader but a defeatist.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

BLM doesn't mean Black Lives Matter more than other lives. Why are some responses to that...ALL lives matter. Who said they didn't? It means Black Lives Matter as much as everybody else's....

Why is any of this that hard to understand?

It's more than bizarre, and so illogical that I have to wonder if some kind of brain damage is at fault.  Whenever an oppressed group tries to fight back THEY are accused of causing the trouble, separating themselves into a group. It's as if, to the oppressor, that group nor their oppression ever really existed!  Thinking of the 'white pride' and 'straight pride' groups that develop in order to cure the injustice they feel has been done to their privileged group.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The other problem is stereotyping of the Police, Luna as it's not uniform in all cities, states, countries.  Some are lone crazies, maybe even KKK here in America.  We have many black officers on the LAPD.  Many police of all skin colors everywhere are in unity against such brutality and protesting with the protesters.  

I don't believe in stereotyping any group. As you say, most of the police are fine people. I think the problem of prejudice is more systemic and not tied to police officers. For some reason we as a people feel, on some level, that it's okay to place some people above others, to create a stratified or patriarchal society, an overly competitive one where there is an excess focus on winners and losers.

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Every July 4th we celebrate our own revolution over the taxes on tea being too damn high. We have absolutely no problem justifying that. But violence born out of centuries of systematic racism and oppression? Yeah, that's a bit iffy. What would MLK say? Now go home, and if you behave exceptionally well for another sixty years, maybe we'll think about letting that boot off your neck just a little bit more.

35 minutes ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

The real story of progress is littered with people who broke the law, and many of whom paid the highest price.

I do, I confess, find it ironic that a nation that was born in the bloody crucible of revolution, war, and civil violence, and is proud of that fact, should suddenly get all prissy about violence as a means of effecting political change when it's the subaltern -- the oppressed and the victimized -- who are deploying it.

That said, I remain committed, myself, to non-violent resistance. Indeed, I'd argue that one of the reasons that America is such a very violent and gun-happy culture today is the slightly macho myths that have grown around the US fight for independence. Violence does breed violence, even nearly 250 years down the road.

I honestly believe that non-violent resistance and civil disobedience are, in the long term, the only way to bring about real and lasting change. But I'll also acknowledge that I'm not in the position to sanctimoniously lecture a black man or woman who've been subjected to racial violence and oppression that they should "play nice" with a system that's been brutalizing and victimizing them for 100s of years, and seems reluctant to end that.

Black Lives Matter does not, and never has, advocated violence. The leaders of the movement, now, as well as the families of the victims who are being mourned, and other leaders of the black community, have been very vocal in their calls for an end to it. And it's important to remember that a) most BLM protesters have not resorted to violence, and b) there is clear evidence that a great many who have are not, in fact, BLM protesters.

My final point, which I've already made above but which bears repeating, is this: whatever your feelings about the violence, and, indeed, whatever your views on Black Lives Matter, the fact that black people, particularly young men, are disproportionately the victim of police and systemic violence and oppression is undeniably, statistically verifiable.

So, you disagree with riots? So do I. Don't like BLM? Fine. But if you use either of those views as an excuse to not doing anything about the racism and the violence that is festering in our culture, then you really are part of the problem. However you choose to act against racism, do something.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 10

31 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thinking of the 'white pride' and 'straight pride' groups that develop in order to cure the injustice they feel has been done to their privileged group.

I never heard of these.  But, lol...no!   Sounds utterly ridiculous.  

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Looking back over my posts, I can see acknowledgement that well-intentioned people can be drawn into a poorly-intentioned movement, a deconstruction of the simplistic fallacy that enables this, a recognition that being white does not mean you have no problems, and an understanding that black people, at a class level, experience systemic harm to greater degree than white people, at a class level.

However, I also looked back over your posts, and I would agree that my writing and critical thinking skills are not at the same standards as yours. 

BOOM!

Mic drop

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's more than bizarre, and so illogical that I have to wonder if some kind of brain damage is at fault.  

I'm Canadian...Let's not call it brain damage or throw around buzz words like "white privilege". I'd call it willful ignorance or something like "putting on blinders".

We should all simply stick to the issue, which is social injustice. I don't see how anybody can be against that because THAT makes everything better for all of us.  This is isn't about social injustice though, this runs far deeper than that and it makes people super uncomfortable talking about in a thoughtful manner, let alone even think about it. It's there, it's obvious and something has to be done about it. Things like this challenge people's entire belief system about how things work, even if its in some other place in some other part of the world.

I mean, you had the leader of a country just say he was going to take military action against this. Against his own citizens. Meanwhile, an armed protest and storming a government building was met with them being called "Patriots". How do you rationalize that? How do you not say anything about that? No, no, no....if people aren't seeing that then they aren't going to. No debate on the internet is going to sway someone who doesn't see it, they just don't want to see that. 

People who won't see or won't do anything, just aren't going to do anything. This isn't for them and truthfully, nobody is asking for people who don't believe in something to do something. If people want to..they will. Even if its on a game, even if its in real life...people will and they are. Its really that simple.

• Like 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.