Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

And you think everyone that says BLM has good intentions?

At its core, it's addressing a problem that exists. ALM, at its core, is attempting to deflect from this problem.

• Like 8

wading into a pool of scolding hot water here - I would have to say probably 90% of those "protesting" don't give a squat about 'BLM' or rights or racism or whatever. this is just a free for all, burn what we want steal what we can party

The REAL problem is an has been the 'bad apples' always present in police ranks, and this is made possible by the the whole "Blue Line" bs cops use to 'protect' one another. In this last case, you cannot tell me other cops never saw or noticed a pattern by this cop in the past using excessive force on suspects, and yet they remained silent cause that's 'what cops do' 

If these 95% of all good cops want to really help put an  end to all this crapola now and in the future, end this 'Blue Wall' bs once and forever. A bad cop is a bad cop and has no place wearing a badge

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

If people ARE looking for t shirts to show their solidarity and support for BLM I have a set in my store in world and on marketplace.  They are free.  They are for female avatars.  You can find them by searching the word slogan.  You don't have to buy anything.  I'm not advertising in general.  I hope this is not inappropriate for this forum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

From my experience I've come to the conclusion that there are people with a type of personality who base their entire identity around what ills the world has done to them.

They don't do work, they don't contribute, they actively seek out things to be outraged by as an excuse to act in selfish destructive ways that destroy the lives of others.

Without outrage, without injustice, they are nothing. The world cannot be peaceful to these people.

That is why, they label people who aren't actively protesting for their ideology as 'complicit'. It's the only way they can perpetually ensure that there is never peace, that people never stop fighting or having a cause to fight against.

I don't like those people.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I sympathized with the protests until news of buildings being burnt to the ground started reaching me across the pond. 

These protests have been a legitimate attempt to address ongoing failures in the US for a reform of police practices and the broken criminal justice system.

So while we should certainly condemn the few idiots who resort to violence, it doesn't make sense to turn against the overwhelming majority who deserve our respect and need our support.

Let's not forget the snapshots we see in the media never paint the complete picture/ tell the full story. 

• Like 9

First, I am not American, so I can only say this as an outsider. I read American newspapers, but I find that I agree with the conservative news outlets most.

I do not support rioters at all. When the first rock is thrown, the first window is broken, the first building or car is set on fire, then the arrests should start. Stop it there. It is much easier to climb into a window that is already broken. It is much easier to throw rocks, when you see the police is pulling back and do not arrest anyone.

It was said: "This is people desperate and angry because the policeman is not arrested". But he was arrested, and it became worse. It can not be explained in any other way, someone want this to escalate. And I believe it is Antifa.

Police killed under Obama, under Bush sr. Bush jr. and under Clinton. And all other previous presidents. Also in states where it is a Democrat mayor, a Democrat state attorney, or a Democrat governor. 328 million people in the US, so how many are killed by police every year? Black cops, Latino cops, white cops, and cops born of immigrants and refugees are doing this. Washington Post can not be said to be a Right-wing source. When I read how small the numbers are, I was surprised. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/fatal-police-shootings-of-unarmed-people-have-significantly-declined-experts-say/2018/05/03/d5eab374-4349-11e8-8569-26fda6b404c7_story.html

This does not include death by restraint, so it is a larger number for sure. But still. And every death should not have happened, but it wrong to say "We are hunted and killed in the streets every day". I will not wear a shirt that support that. They can not call police pigs and try to kill them, and beat up everyone who disagree. You can not say that.

They can not destroy property for billions, beat up people, drive business owners into ruin and burn down peoples homes.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

From my experience I've come to the conclusion that there are people with a type of personality who base their entire identity around what ills the world has done to them.

They don't do work, they don't contribute, they actively seek out things to be outraged by as an excuse to act in selfish destructive ways that destroy the lives of others.

Without outrage, without injustice, they are nothing. The world cannot be peaceful to these people.

That is why, they label people who aren't actively protesting for their ideology as 'complicit'. It's the only way they can perpetually ensure that there is never peace, that people never stop fighting or having a cause to fight against.

I don't like those people.

People like the Nazarene then?*  The USA has had almost 500 years to get their 'stuff' together and stop oppressing, torturing, murdering, side lining, bullying and r*ping people of colour.  No, I know plenty of other countries are also pretty bad, yes, mine included.  If there truly were an army of non working, non contributing, constantly active campaigners they must have learnt to live off fresh air.  Of course they also work.  They contribute.  They have families.  But they see injustice and will not let it stand.  I like those people; I am in awe of those people, I want to be more like those people.

*Trashing the temple was such a shocker - why couldn't he have protested peacefully? /s

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I know I will upset people when I say this, and I am as horrified as anyone over police brutality, but I really don't think race s at the heart of our issues as a nation. I live in a facially diverse community, and we all get along and don't consider a persons race when interacting with each other. The problem we have is we are a violent culture and we are becoming more and more violent. Police brutality is on the rise because of it. It is not only black people who have reason to be concerned about encounters with the police, we all do. We all need to embrace each other and stop focusing on people's color and start finding ways to eliminate all violence because all lives matters. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

People like the Nazarene then?*  The USA has had almost 500 years to get their 'stuff' together and stop oppressing, torturing, murdering, side lining, bullying and r*ping people of colour.  No, I know plenty of other countries are also pretty bad, yes, mine included.  If there truly were an army of non working, non contributing, constantly active campaigners they must have learnt to live off fresh air.  Of course they also work.  They contribute.  They have families.  But they see injustice and will not let it stand.  I like those people; I am in awe of those people, I want to be more like those people.

*Trashing the temple was such a shocker - why couldn't he have protested peacefully? /s

They've been destroying small businesses, low income homes. There will now be people who find themselves homeless who have little to no income and those without business unable to feed their families. This is not an act of social justice. It's not virtuous. It's wrong.

Mindless destruction and outrage is never the answer to social issues, it only brings more suffering and misery and most often to those who least deserve it. It has enabled looters, anarchists and arsonists to do what they love to do best.

Unless people start realizing this and becoming more responsible, I am afraid they will soon find themselves living in a world where the color of your skin is the least of your issues but for all the wrong reasons.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

They've been destroying small businesses, low income homes. There will now be people who find themselves homeless who have little to no income and those without business unable to feed their families. This is not an act of social justice. It's not virtuous. It's wrong.

Mindless destruction and outrage is never the answer to social issues, it only brings more suffering and misery and most often to those who least deserve it. It has enabled looters, anarchists and arsonists to do what they love to do best.

Unless people start realizing this and becoming more responsible, I am afraid they will soon find themselves living in a world where the color of your skin is the least of your issues but for all the wrong reasons.

They?  I've seen mainly white provocateurs doing this, I've seen the police escalating violence, I've seen people of colour forming cordons to protect businesses.  If you watch faux news you'll see what they want you to see.

Also, if you're still more concerned with property destruction than you know, actual lives, then you're a big part of the problem.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

if you're still more concerned with property destruction than you know, actual lives, then you're a big part of the problem.

Properties are peoples lives. When you destroy someones property, you remove a roof from their head, you remove their safety and force them to live on the streets in danger. You ensure any children have no safe place to sleep at night. You ensure somebody doesn't go to work, doesn't eat.

If you can't fathom this, to throw a quote right back at you:

3 minutes ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

then you're a big part of the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

They?  I've seen mainly white provocateurs doing this, I've seen the police escalating violence, I've seen people of colour forming cordons to protect businesses.  If you watch faux news you'll see what they want you to see.

Frankly the way I see it is like this.

I honestly do not give two monkeys about the color of skin of who is doing what. I've never cared about anyone's skin color and never will.

Everyone needs to sit down, realize that the looting, arson and destruction of property is destroying peoples lives and agree to do what it takes to put a stop to it.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I honestly do not give two monkeys about the color of skin of who is doing what. I've never cared about anyone's skin color and never will.

Unfortunately some people don't have this option because they're reminded about their race and colour everyday. And not for good reasons. That's who this is for. 
I don't support violence and looting, but I support everyone who stands up for those in our society who are marginalised and oppressed. 

There is so much injustice in this world. Anyone who can't see that is either living in denial or bathed in privilege. 
You can accept it and try to ignore it, or you can do what little you can to try and change things for the better. I respect and admire those who try to make a difference. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Do not mistake my indifference to race for an ignorance to racism.

For as long as people like me exist, who judge solely on the individuals actions, there is hope that racism as we know it can end.

Only when everybody follows my example and lives by these principles will racism be a thing of the past.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

No, it's not. When people are being targeted for their race or their sexuality, it is not enough that you personally don't judge people for that, however admirable that makes you. The point is that other people do care, and systemic harm is coming to certain demographics of people based on those characteristics. If your response is to dilute and deflect that, or to say that it's not an issue because you're personally not racist or homophobic, or to complain about there being ongoing discourse about racism, then yes, you're part of the problem. 

well, if you think the world only have two sides then you're right, unfurtunately the world is more complicated than that, so while you grow thinking if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem the hate in this world would not end because you yourself will become a racist against anybody who's not on your side, so a good tip? stop thinking that way, is not healthy and ultimately this post had a simple question:
Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?
my answer is no

I've always thought any kind of violence in a protest was wrong, and believed in peaceful resistance. This article though gave me pause:

"It is easy to dismiss the rock thrower.... But those who rebuke violent responses to injustice should ask themselves: How should the oppressed respond to their oppressors? How should the nation respond to political dissent? How do the oppressed procure power? Throughout history, black people have employed violence, nonviolence, marches, and boycotts. Only one thing is clear—there is no form of black protest that white supremacy will sanction. Still, black people understand the utility of riotous rebellion: Violence compels a response. Violence disrupts the status quo and the possibility of returning to business as usual. So often the watershed moments of historical record are stamped by violence—it is the engine that propels society along from funerals to fury and from moments to movements.

In December 1866, the famed abolitionist Frederick Douglass wrote an essay for The Atlantic in which he reflected on the benefits of rebellion: “There is cause to be thankful even for rebellion. It is an impressive teacher, though a stern and terrible one.” He then concluded, “The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion.” Many people are asking if violence is a valid means of producing social change. The hard and historical answer is yes. Riots have a way of magnifying not merely the flaws in the system, but also the strength of those in power. The American Revolution was won with violence. The French Revolution was won with violence. The Haitian Revolution was won with violence. The Civil War was won with violence. A revolution in today’s terms would mean that these nationwide rebellions lead to black people being able to access and exercise the fullness of their freedom and humanity."
  • Like 3

Just now, Extrude Ragu said:

there is hope that racism as we know it can end.

This is going to be a rather cynical opinion, and it's not an opinion that I have because I want to, but because it's an opinion I base on reason rather than desire.

Racism in mankind is unlikely to ever entirely disappear within this century, and it is unlikely that if it were to disappear, it would be permanently gone. Prejudice is deeply rooted in human nature, and it is perpetuated in ways beyond any law. Prejudice is older than our understanding of it, and even things that might appear insignificant today has been important tools of self preservation - we are wired to be less trusting of people whose accents differ from ours, because an accent is part of a communal identity; it hasn't been until the 20th century and the advent of radios, televisions and telephones that we even fully realized that it was a 'thing', and whilst we now compartmentalise people by nationality such as 'Oh the Canadians are all nice people' or 'Ah the Aussies are fun-loving and adventurous', it remains based on the fact that we simply can't process more than around 200 or so individual identities on average, after that we begin to generalise - for better or worse, and racism certainly is one of those things that are for the worse.

And not only is this compartmentalisation a part of our own perception, it's also a part of our projection; we identify as 'American' or 'British' or 'Londoner' or 'Texan', and in doing so often adopt and imitate what we perceive that to be, to fit in. The globalist perspective is extremely young, and whilst the rate of technological advancement has been throttled up immensely under the past century, human evolution is lagging behind. What exactly this will amount to is hard to say, but it will probably take generations to catch up, and where will technology be by then? What are our future challenges of adaption going to be? 

That isn't to say that we should just give up; we need to grapple with the issues that we are faced with, but the ideal of a world where everyone is kind and generous to each other is going to struggle against some other very deep-rooted aspects of human nature; greed, aggression, grief, vengefulness, opportunism - things displayed by the protesters in this very moment.

• Like 7

This came up in my Twitter feed  yesterday.  I have by far not been able to read every link.  But I place it here to share for anyone that might care to look.

https://citizenshipandsocialjustice.com/2015/07/10/curriculum-for-white-americans-to-educate-themselves-on-race-and-racism/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

large-31792-6be7aef9-660d-4a16-928e-7ecd0f1d0601.jpeg.jpg

What a series of extremely idiotic, selfish, and far from rational conclusions... illustrating so well the trollish reasoning going on in this forum, and in the world at large, starting at "but by saying a burning house needs attention, aren't you saying all other houses don't matter?" Right here:

6 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

You're saying "well, those dead people are less important than these other dead people". I can't get behind that.

What a trollish game. And a strawman to boot. No one ever said other dead people matter less. An extremely transparent ploy, to pull a quick switcheroo here. Someone says there's a huge problem with black people getting killed by white policemen, and that this needs urgent attention, and along comes the white man, spinning it so it's actually HE that's being discriminated against! And that he can't get behind that. Boo-effing-hoo!

Let me spell it out to the Karens of this world (to stay with the analogy): your white house isn't the one on fire! Should it ever be, we'll get to yours too, that goes without saying. No, I mean literally, it doesn't need saying: your white house was never in jeopardy to begin with. It's simply a given white policemen will come for you, when you dial 911, to get a black man arrested. It's the black man's house that needs attention now. And don't nobody dare turn this into a "White lives matter too!" issue.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Only one thing is clear—there is no form of black protest that white supremacy will sanction.

I would like to see those so outraged about violence at protests be as horrified by the violence perpetrated against people of color throughout the centuries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Because you can't find a solution unless you identify the specifics of the problem, and address them.

Blacks are, to repeat, more likely to be murdered by police. Understanding why, and addressing those reasons, is absolutely necessary to ending it.

The problem, in the greater Los Angeles area, is stereotyping.  A black man walking alone at night is suspected to be a drug dealer.  A white man walking alone at night is not.  

However, the problem is different in different areas of the world.  

The greater Los Angeles area has a drug war which is not the same all over the world.  Why are all these drugs here in the first place?  I don't know, but they never seem to go away.

However, there are drug lords of every skin color in the greater Los Angeles area.  Drugs are an equal opportunity destroyer.  

Plus the stereotyping by the Police is that not every police person is the same.  Some are lone crazies.  

So, how do we calculate how many Police suspect a black man walking at night as suspect as opposed to a white man walking at night being possibly not suspect.  How do we find that answer and in what areas of town?  

I'm giving you this information because it was told to me by a black man who had lost his keys and was in a not so safe situation and he felt it was simply because he was black and it was night time.   The ironic thing is, he's a drug counselor.  

So, I've laid out the problem where I live in that it's more stereotyping.  How do we find a solution?  The drug war never seems to go away first of all.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I would like to see those so outraged about violence at protests be as horrified by the violence perpetrated against people of color throughout the centuries.

Don't lump me in with your racist views on others.

I am horrified by it all.

I want everybody to treat everyone as individuals. Did that person do a good thing to that person? Did that person do a bad thing to that person? Race does not need to enter the equation at all. It's that simple.

I will never let it become a race thing, and neither should you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

In December 1866, the famed abolitionist Frederick Douglass wrote an essay for The Atlantic in which he reflected on the benefits of rebellion: “There is cause to be thankful even for rebellion. It is an impressive teacher, though a stern and terrible one.” He then concluded, “The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion.”

Well said, Luna! Sometimes ppl need to push back. And the harder they do, the more likely it is, that were were treated unfairly. I'm not condoning looting -- few there be that do, I think -- but we should not let opportunists like that be used as an excuse to deny the inherently very valid reason for the 'rebellion.' That's all a little too convenient.

Edited by kiramanell
Typo
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.