Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I cannot walk with my friend in real life like we used to.  I need time to walk with my friend again and I even feel like if I make this avatar, I can carry my friend for awhile in a remembrance.   It doesn't even have to be around other people inworld as it's for me to unite at this time with my friend.  

I have never actually experienced my relationships here in America with any skin color.  It is two people interacting and I never even notice their skin color and that's a true story.

I did have one black friend who was born in the South.   It is very different in the South than it is in California.   But, in California, aside from just interacting with a person, we are united, not allies so much, though the meaning of those two words is similar.  I still consider myself and the way I grew up as a united experience, not an ally experience.  Our relationships are real and deep and many have been lifelong but color never was a part of it.  We don't have black/white here in California as much as other places in America.  The horrible beating of Rodney King was something I will never forget though.  That was one of the most brutal beatings I've ever seen in my entire life.  We mourned together.  But, even that wasn't so much skin color here as other places, it was about a man who was beaten senseless.   California is just different from stories I've heard.  I never lived with any division.  All nations, all colors, all regions and non-religions live here.  

But, for my friends, I'd like to walk with them in real life, but I can't.  So, I thought this a way to walk with my friends in SL.  This avatar is just for me though and our relationships and our memories.  It is not for anyone else.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But until such time as black lives start to "matter" a hell of a lot more than they now seem to, it is only justice and commonsense to focus upon them.

Maybe it's me, but it seems counter intuitive to promote treating everyone equally by focusing on what makes them different.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Maybe it's me, but it seems counter intuitive to promote treating everyone equally by focusing on what makes them different.

"What makes them different," as you put it, is that they are much more likely to be murdered by the police than white people.

Hardly a badge of honour, or something you want bragging rights over.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

We don't have black/white here in California as much as other places in America.

Racism is alive and well in Los Angeles. Look out your front door. It’s right fricking there. Turn on the news.

As to your question, @Scylla Rhiadra, I can’t even think about logging inworld. I live in the city where Breonna Taylor was killed. Last night another black man was killed by the police. I can hear the mortars and flash-bangs from my couch. My beloved city is being torn apart. I stand with BLM. I also have a good friend on the force who is on the front lines, and has been for 5 nights in a row now. I know his heart. I know he is being torn in two as well.

I’ve been glued to screens for 5 days and nights except for a few hours of sleep. I’m afraid of what will have happened while I slept. And the biggest thing I’ve noticed is the white “protesters” that seem to be at the forefront of the violence happening in every single city. I would be willing to bet my life, literally, that these are not Antifa. My bet is on a who group called the Boogaloo Bois who’ve already made their presence known in Kentucky.

But to answer your question, nothing. I need to take RL action, and for me that’s donating to bail funds, and listening to our black community and doing as they wish. They’ve got the lead on this, and the best thing I can do is whatever they ask of me to support the changes they want and deserve.

And vote. Vote in every single election no matter how big or small.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I understand what you are saying because I come from a place of all skin tones and we interact with each other and don't even notice.  

I never even noticed anyone's skin tone and I've had all skin tones of friends if I think about it and still do.  But, I mentioned one of my friends as a black friend because he grew up in Alabama and it was horrible.  A black man could not talk to a white women.  If they did, they were hosed down by the Police.  Plus, he told me a lot more "things".  My friend later moved to California and had a pretty good life compared to Alabama.  He and I had total freedom here to be together. 

But, in California, we are from all over the world, we treat one another as equals.  

Skid Row and certain places in California could use some definite help though.  

But, mostly, it's just us, all co-mingling and sharing all kinds of things from foods to Star Trek and just about everything else.  

I believe that there is still racism in California - it might not be as visible as it is in other states, but it's there underneath the surface, and not just against Black Americans, but also Hispanics.  At one of my husband's high school reunions, 15 years ago, we were talking with someone he had been acquaintances with while in school, and had stayed in the area as we had.  He was white, but had married a black lady, and like many of us, had not thought much about racism in our area, prior to their marriage.  He said he was shocked at the difference in how he was treated at a lot of places locally in our county when he was with his wife, than when he was by himself or just with other white people.  When it's not as visible, there is a danger that we forget it's still there, and then we are surprised when something happens that causes it to jump out as an issue again.  

This has been heavy on my mind this past week or so, and I am really saddened, again, with the realization that in spite of the gains that were seemingly made in the '60's and '70's, along a  spectrum of civil and environmental rights, it feels like issues were just partially swept under the carpet  instead of being actually addressed in a way that would create lasting change, and the current political climate the last few years has been bringing out the worst in the worst groups.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ordinarily, I'd not query your desire to represent as black in SL -- although I do think that representing other races can be problematic.

In this instance, however, where the point is to show support for a community that has been brutalized and oppressed in RL because of the colour of their skin, I'm not sure that I think this is appropriate? As a white woman (and one, moreover, from Canada), I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to be a black woman (much less man) in the US. To represent as black in that context -- where I am trying to act as an ally, rather than as one who can speak from personal experience -- might be easily misread. I can be a witness to their grief and pain, but theirs is the lived experience.

I have to agree. From what little I truly undetstand on these matters, it would seem 'blackface' is not considered acceptable in America -- and likely not even when done with the utmost noble intentions, which no doubt Fairre had.

Remember when Amandla Stenberg, in 'The Hate U Give', derides that white girl for talking to her about 'our people'?! Kinda the same thing. They're not 'our' people. I'm white. Apart from highschool history lessons, I have essentially no clue what it's like to be black. I can watch youtube and see black ppl get beat up,; but I have truly no idea what it's like to actually be black, and having to live thru that sh*t every day. I think -- and ppl should feel free to correct me -- that is why blackface is not done: it's presuming to be a part of someone's history, their suffering, when, in fact, you're absolutely not.

Rather, to be on the safe side, and simply because I want to make whatever stance possible as ME, I will speak out against racism, and violence against black people, as a white woman, not pretending to be black, but really just saying "I, a white person, will not stand for this either." And should I ever refer to black people as 'our people', then only in terms of us all belonging to the same, equal human race.

Edited by kiramanell
Damn sensors
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The tempest that is currently engulfing the United States in the aftermath of the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and (of course) a host of other black men and women at the hands of law enforcement officials has spilled over into protests in support of BLM in other nations and cities around the world, including my own. Inevitably, and I think justifiably, events of this magnitude spill over into the virtual world we inhabit; there is an important sense in which "overlays" the other.

If you support the message of the protesters, have you found a way to express that support in-world? I have seen a number of avatars in the past couple of days wearing BLM tee shirts, for instance (and I have one myself I've been wearing).

Have you found other ways to demonstrate support, as for instance in-world events, concerts, and the like?

As a semi-retired in-world activist, I'm particularly interested to know what sorts of ways we are finding to show support for justice for black people (and people of colour in general, for that matter) in the context of RL events.

I am not making any changes in either virtual or corporeal worlds.  The best support we can show IMO is how we live on a day to day basis.  The idea that there are some lives that don't matter -- especially based on race, color or creed is so far removed from what I believe it is difficult to grasp the thought process.  The recent events are nothing new really; we have seen it over and over. I have felt for a long while that police need to be held accountable. Pretty obviously some people are being given jobs that they should never hold. 

BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I believe that there is still racism in California - it might not be as visible as it is in other states, but it's there underneath the surface, and not just against Black Americans, but also Hispanics.  At one of my husband's high school reunions, 15 years ago, we were talking with someone he had been acquaintances with while in school, and had stayed in the area as we had.  He was white, but had married a black lady, and like many of us, had not thought much about racism in our area, prior to their marriage.  He said he was shocked at the difference in how he was treated at a lot of places locally in our county when he was with his wife, than when he was by himself or just with other white people.  When it's not as visible, there is a danger that we forget it's still there, and then we are surprised when something happens that causes it to jump out as an issue again.  

This has been heavy on my mind this past week or so, and I am really saddened, again, with the realization that in spite of the gains that were seemingly made in the '60's and '70's, along a  spectrum of civil and environmental rights, it feels like issues were just partially swept under the carpet  instead of being actually addressed in a way that would create lasting change, and the current political climate the last few years has been bringing out the worst in the worst groups.  

It is here a bit but not that I've ever personally experienced growing up with my Mom and Dad's friends, all my friends, all my sisters friends.  I never took notice until I became best friends with a black man who was raised in Alabama where the police hose male children and men down and other things if they even get near white people.

My sister and niece are married to men of Hispanic decent.  So?  They is just them, my friend, my family.  Dads.  It's not anything like Alabama where men are hosed down.

My best friend is Jewish, my sister's best friend is Japanese, my cousin also married an Hispanic.  We are just a family of everybody.  It's a long list, too long to mention here.

The biggest problems here are the classes and the pockets of poverty and in Southern California those are especially in the downtown areas where I don't live.  But, poverty strikes every skin tone here in Southern California too, as well as every skin tone being in the middle class and upper classes.

As far as the Police, it has some problems.  We do need to start listening to see what is going on here.  

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The best support we can show IMO is how we live on a day to day basis.

I am going to agree that this is certainly the most important way we can show support for the principles of BLM.

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER.

I think that, by writing that, some of the other things you've said, you have contributed, in some small but tangible way, to effecting the changes you describe.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"What makes them different," as you put it, is that they are much more likely to be murdered by the police than white people.

Hardly a badge of honour, or something you want bragging rights over.

This is incorrect. Like with most things, just because the media talks about it more, doesn't make it more common.

It's true that minorities are treated worse by police, but whites lead the pack in murder by police.

So again I reiterate, police reform needs to happen regardless of racism, and everyone needs to be treated equally.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

This is incorrect. Like with most things, just because the media talks about it more, doesn't make it more common.

It's true that minorities are treated worse by police, but whites lead the pack in murder by police.

So again I reiterate, police reform needs to happen regardless of racism, and everyone needs to be treated equally.

In raw numbers, yes. Not on a per capita basis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52877678

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In raw numbers, yes. Not on a per capita basis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52877678

Again though, why does it matter who gets murdered more? Police shouldn't be murdering people regardless.

Making it about race just opens it up to arguments like this instead of focusing on actually solving the problem.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

Again though, why does it matter who gets murdered more?

Because you can't find a solution unless you identify the specifics of the problem, and address them.

To use the medical analogy again, medical researchers don't seek to "cure death." They look for, and attempt to address the specific pathologies of particular diseases and conditions, because that is how you cure them.

Blacks are, to repeat, more likely to be murdered by police. Understanding why, and addressing those reasons, is absolutely necessary to ending it.

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Police shouldn't be murdering people regardless.

Of course they shouldn't be. But there's no reason why we can't address the general culture of law enforcement that encourages violence, as well as the systemic racism that makes blacks more likely victims. The two, in fact, are undoubtedly connected.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

"police are a problem no matter what color you are,"

I was going to say, "That's the whitest thing I've ever heard someone say!" Then I realized you got some likes for it (yes, I'm sensitive to that), and I hesitated a bit. But hell with it, I just said it anyway.

Thing is, I get that you meant it in all all-encompassing, good way. But I doubt 'no matter what color' is a sentiment shared equally among many black people. :( For such equality to exist, first the uneven parts, as it were, must be straightened out. (That's a lesson I took from Isaiah, actually: "Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low.")

• Like 6

Because you can't find a solution unless you identify the specifics of the problem, and address them.

To use the medical analogy again, medical researchers don't seek to "cure death." They look for, and attempt to address the specific pathologies of particular diseases and conditions, because that is how you cure them.

Blacks are, to repeat, more likely to be murdered by police. Understanding why, and addressing those reasons, is absolutely necessary to ending it.

Of course they shouldn't be. But there's no reason why we can't address the general culture of law enforcement that encourages violence, as well as the systemic racism that makes blacks more likely victims. The two, in fact, are undoubtedly connected.

The medical analogy is nice, sure. In medicine you have triage- treat the worst wounds first. You can't apply that to race though; "treat one race first" or you get racism, which is how we wound up with this problem to begin with.

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

I was going to say, "That's the whitest thing I've ever heard someone say!" Then I realized you got some likes for it (yes, I'm sensitive to that), and I hesitated a bit. But hell with it, I just said it anyway.

Thing is, I get that you meant it in all all-encompassing, good way. But I doubt 'no matter what color' is a sentiment shared equally among many black people. :( For such equality to exist, first the uneven parts, as it were, must be straightened out. (That's a lesson I took from Isaiah, actually: "Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low.")

You're saying "well, those dead people are less important than these other dead people". I can't get behind that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You're saying "well, those dead people are less important than these other dead people". I can't get behind that

No. I'm saying "These people are more likely to end up dead." And asking why.

Hey, if you can end ALL extra-judicial murders by cops, I'm completely behind you! You go!

But in my experience, "All Lives Matter" tends to be more about denying the reality of racism than about actually doing anything about the violence.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

You're saying "well, those dead people are less important than these other dead people". I can't get behind that.

Funny way of trying to twist my words, LOL. It's merely a matter of deciding to right the most egregious wrongs first. Like with COVID-19: worst cases first (the triage Scylla mentioned).

P.S. And speaking of which, how many white ppl did die exactly, say, last year, by other white policemen? Just name one. Or just try and recall even one occurance.... I thought so.

• Like 3

But in my experience, "All Lives Matter" tends to be more about denying the reality of racism than about actually doing anything about the violence.

All I can say to that is, sounds like you've been talking to the wrong people.

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

Funny way of trying to twist my words, LOL. It's merely a matter of deciding to right the most egregious wrongs first. Like with COVID-19: worst cases first (the triage Scylla mentioned).

P.S. And speaking of which, how many white ppl did die exactly, say, last year, by other white policemen? Just name one. Or just try and recall even one occurance.... I thought so.

Funny thing- nobody tracks the color of the shooter when it's a white victim. But since you asked, I recall one right off the top of my head, the Air Force vet who was shot after being told to get his wallet. How about the one shot on his front porch after police got the wrong house?

Just looked up the names, and it actually turned out the Air Force vet managed to survive the gunshot wound. Michael Davidson, shot by Phillip Hancock in Alabama.

The other one was Andrew Finch, his shooter wasn't even identified except for "a member of Wichita Police Department". Officer wasn't even charged.

i don't :3
because i don't care about people's color, i only care about how they are, if they're good people then i like them, if no i dislike them xD
who's a good person, simple, anyobdy who doesn't hate others and/or want to hurt others.
every time  somebody says "i hate white people because they're racist" i'm very sure i'm hearing a racist so like i said before, it's sad that Floyd died, specially because as far as i know he was a good guy, friendly and hardworker, but is worst the violence of some protestants who may kill more people by destroying their business, cars and stuff (and as far as i know they already kill one cop and one guy). 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Again though, why does it matter who gets murdered more? Police shouldn't be murdering people regardless.

Making it about race just opens it up to arguments like this instead of focusing on actually solving the problem.

it does help to change behaviour

the police officer who killed George Floyd was charged with murder with an alternative charge of manslaughter.  There was no months long drawn out inquiry leading to charges not being drawn up

this is a marked change in official behaviour. These kinds of marked changes in official behaviour do actually solve the problem. The problem being that in many police forces, officers gain a sense of impunity when they are not charged, called to account, for their actions when those actions break the law

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.