HTTP 499 errors today from SL

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seeing many HTTP 499 errors from SL today, talking to my logging server. Happening in multiple regions. Worked yesterday. Site is responding to the logging URL.

HTTP error 499 is not a real HTTP error; it means the SL servers have some problem. Anyone else seeing this today?

2 hours ago, Mason Kingsford said:

Yes. I'm having this problem today. For me is seems to have to do with SSL certificate authority check in http requests.

Hm. Wonder if SL failed to update some root certificate.

21 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Yes. Probable cause: one root cert of Usertrust expired May 30th. Ref:

https://www.ssl.com/faqs/i-noticed-that-the-addtrust-external-ca-root-is-expiring-soon-will-i-be-affected/

"The short answer is the overwhelming majority of people will not experience any problems when the AddTrust root expires in May. The AddTrust cross-signing was originally done to account for older devices that did not include the USERTrust root. If the USERTrust root is present (as it is in 100% of modern browsers, operating systems, and mobile devices), the software will simply choose a trust path that leads to USERTrust and ignores AddTrust. Due to the USERTrust root’s ubiquity, only a vanishingly small number of legacy devices can be expected to experience trust issues when AddTrust expires."

Added above explanation to JIRA. LL just needs to load a more modern set of root certificates into the servers.

Edited by animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.