i have received an email reqesting copies of my credit cards from gibraltar...this come from you?

dave Trizomu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

This is a resident supported forum.  So no one here would know if Linden Lab sent you an email.  I would assume its phishing and ignore it.  Or contact Billing via one of their toll free numbers and ask them.  You will find the numbers on the Help page under Billing Issues.

--Cinn

Call and ask LL:

Toll-Free (US/Canada)
Long-Distance

Our Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Local Toll-Free numbers

* France: 0805.101.490
* Germany: 0800.664.5510
* Japan: 0066.33.132.830
* Portugal: 800.814.450
* Spain: 800.300.560
* UK: 0800.048.4646
* Support is in English Only

Gibraltar??? This must be fake! Be very careful and don't send anything! Most frauds (at least in Europe) these days are coming from Morrocco and Gilbraltar. Do what Cinn said: call the billing support and ask them about that.

Billing support phone numbers

Toll-Free (US/Canada)

Long-Distance

Our Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Local Toll-Free numbers
  • France: 0805.101.490
  • Germany: 0800.664.5510
  • Japan: 0066.33.132.830
  • Portugal: 800.814.450
  • Spain: 800.300.560
  • UK: 0800.048.4646
  • Support is in English Only

Is it this one? http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Off-Topic/Potential-Credit-card-fraud/m-p/878297/highlight/true#M8236

Personally I think as it is asking you to send the info to a genuine SL link and tells you to block out the numbers on the card that they don`t already have, that it is something to do with the new SL Cashier. but as you can see from that thread, a lot of people think that it is not genuine.

Check with support by calling the billing number as suggested or if you are a premium member, speak to LiveChat https://support.secondlife.com/start-chat/

DUE TO SOME FORUM CHANGES, PLEASE USE "OPTIONS > EDIT" ON YOUR POST TO ADD FURTHER REPLIES

In this day and age of phishing, fraud, identity theft, etc...I think it's horrible that we can't get a definitive answer on this from Linden Lab.  A simple answer of yes or no, is this company acting in your interests?  jeez....:matte-motes-agape:

Blondin Linden already checked this out and his post (on the thread I previously posted) says:

Hi again. Here is what you should do. Create a support ticket and assign to Jillian Linden. I've already given her a heads up that you'll be doing so. She can take it from there. She's one of the best! 

So I would recommend you do that.

Regardless of whether or not this is legitimate, I would not do it.  It's just a bad idea.  There is no good reason why you should send a photocopy of your credit cards and ID's...

No good will come of it.  SL isn't worth that sort of risk.  (and it's probably a scam anyway)

Edited to add:

Note that this is yet another person who thinks that this forum is an official linden one.  To the OP, the responses you get here aren't from LL.  They are from a peanut gallery of residents who are giving you their opinons.  These are good opinions filled with good info most of the time, but they are still the opinion of an individual person who plays SL and is no more affiliated with LL than you are.  See, the residents here are generally friendly and helpful to each other.  LL decided to exploit that when they set this up.  Dispite being turned in to free labor for LL, most of us still generally wish to help our fellow residents and pitch in here anyway.  Well intentioned we might be, but we aren't representatives of LL and there is no real guarentee that anything we say is anything close to accurate, helpful, or even a remotely good idea.

LL really should make that more clear when they direct people over here. 

Further edit:

To clarify, employess of Linden Lab do indeed post here from time to time and what they say can be considered to be "official"  They have the last name of "Linden" and are the only ones who do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.