Sky Clutter - Mainland

DakotaMacy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I can't imagine how those little prim cabins would fare in the age of mesh.

They're not very useful today of course but I still loce them, they're classics. One of them was the direct inspiration for my Appalachian series of cottages (you can easily spot the connection when you know about it) and the only real "problem" I've had with the basic concept of the cabin is that it's too flexible. I can waste hours and hours playing around with textures and other modifications.

That one is interesting, and apparently escaped my attention all these years.

You missed Kissling? That's one of the true gems of early SL!

It appears that almost all the private land in the region is owned by a collective group.

It's very much a one man build. I think the church is the only building there not owned by Harald Nomad.

Edit: I had to revisit Kissling when I was reminded of it of course and I noticed something really strange about ownership there. Look at this bridge:

bilde.png.ddb058ee2dfe75cb211e8c2107724181.png

It's a marvelous piece of early prim build (created by none other than Eric Linden himself) and was obviously specially built for the location. What's strange though is that it is made from three separate linksets with two different owners. The part to the left in this picture is owned by Governor Linden, the middle and right parts by the land holding group. I wonder what the story behind this is.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

The Wikia has an article on Kissling from 2008. It relates to an earlier period and reasons for the Kissling Land Holdings group, but it should be noted if I am reading the history logs for the page right, Harold had removed the page "because he didn't like the text", until Marianne Mcann revived it. So I am not sure how accurate it is.

https://secondlife.fandom.com/wiki/Kissling

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

I don't know anything about Kissling, but I do hope the current Lindens don't remove that excellent bridge from Eric Linden. I still mourn the great stone prim bridge in Palomarian that they removed and replaced with some smoky sculpty abomination like what they put in Zindra. I couldn't understand why they did that.

To cross Linden land, as you know you have to do some fiddling with the build to put rooted prims so that people don't fall through while crossing it. Lindens themselves should not face this problem, unless their land is in different Linden groups...and why would it be? I wonder this about other sims where they have "Governor Linden" but also "Maintenance Groups". Maybe they do that to get the extra group bonus? I  have idea.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 2:44 PM, Beth Macbain said:

Yes, there are large swathes of empty mainland. Is that because everyone thinks the mainland is a garbage dump, or is there another reason? I have my own theories, but I'm curious what others think, and what they base that on.

You always make me think hard @Beth Macbain and that tends to lead to thinking harder and harder until... my brain sponge gets soaked and can thinketh no more!!  Some days I catch glimpses of A Grand Unified Theory... but have no lead in my pencil and I get absorbed by adorable silly cat video Notifications when I wake my dozing pc😼.  Sorry, I've digressed...

I think everybody wants everything and they continually migrate toward it but not often in an orderly direct way.  Hopefully most of us learn to focus on enjoying the journey rather than the destination before the driver slams on the brakes, tosses everyone out of the car and makes everyone walk a few hundred metres and think hard ♥ Being relatively new to SL (since 2015 and my 3rd attempt to find my groove in SL) I was thrilled to discover Mainland and the contiguous Regions and so confused why there was such vast quantities of Abandoned land.  I'm still not sure what made people Abandon land.  I have done it myself for reasons which seemed to be the best choice at that moment in time.  Whatever happened it was probably history repeating itself.  Many small 'disasters' concurrently and consecutively resulted in the collapse of a civilization and we are left with what has lasted the longest.  The prime areas get rebuilt, resold and recycled and the less-than-prime waits for a new owner to choose it or feel sorry for it.  Most have to shrug and walk away in search of a more desirable parcel and hope some land baron will find a way to do something with it or LL will step in and 'change the world'.  This is our world.  LL made it for us to do whatever we want and that is interpreted in ways only limited by the number of Premium Residents and the resources available to each or all of them... which turns out to be only limited by our own imagination(s) and abilities♥

I think the Apollo 11 Guidance computer had "2048 words of erasable magnetic-core memory and 36 kilowords of read-only core rope memory. Both had cycle times of 11.72 microseconds. The memory word length was 16 bits: 15 bits of data and one odd-parity bit. The CPU-internal 16-bit word format was 14 bits of data, one overflow bit, and one sign bit (ones' complement representation)."  That plus Neil Armstong's extraordinary skillset did get us landed on the Moon and safely back on Earth.  We have so much more of some things and so much less of other things it makes my head ache and my heart soar to think about them all.  ♥♥♥

... It's craziness and we LOVE this place! ♥

Edited by BJoyful
typo (smh)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, ITMAFIOSO said:

To this day I dont know why they dont put a height rule for mainland to keep it in check . There are few things they can do but never update

Bellessaria has a reasonable height rule, but whenever that's proposed for mainland, the skybox people freak out.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't see that there is much point considering the blight at ground level.  It isn't going to improve the view that much.  Having a clearer sky would be better for vehicle flying but I am not super convinced that low skyboxes (skyboxen?) cause as much of a problem as people say.  I fly vehicles often and am rarely in danger of hitting obstructions that are difficult to avoid.  Again, it is much more of a problem at ground level with road/water vehicles.

I am not sure that LL considers mainland as a place where things looking aesthetically pleasing is necessary but that it is more of a sandbox for experimentation.
That would be my guess for the reason.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.