XW2020

How to educate kids as a father

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Teach them NOT to dump you in a rest home sometime in the future and not to lie when they can't be arsed to visit! ....or, just send them to school, it's why we have them!

10 hours ago, XW2020 said:

As a father, what's your feeling about educating your kids? Do you have any good ways to interact and teach your kids?

I personally find the SL "parent/child" thing cheesy and mildly demeaning of RL families, although I can understand how those who had a lousy RL upbringing could embrace it.  It's just not for me.

RL parenting - all you can do is try and teach them, balance setting expectations and boundaries and holding them accountable when they transgress, encourage them, and make sure they know you love them, and then pray to whatever deity you espouse that they don't get seriously f'd up when they move out and head to college. Because no matter how awesome your spawn is at 18, by 22 their classmates and professors can have undone all your hard work and turned a great kid into something else into a caricature.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, XW2020 said:

I mean real life child😀 Thanks   a lot

and you come ask for advice on a SL forum. There are better places to talk about it.

If you follow advices by the softies you'r raising the future residents for Alcatraz.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

I think a good father should try to teach practical lessons that aren't taught in school like how to gas up the car. I also think that parents should leave their kids alone for several hours a day to allow them to create their own activities instead of shuttling them around to planned sports or events. You want to end up with a child that can cook, drive and make wise buying decisions. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I also think that parents should leave their kids alone for several hours a day to allow them to create their own activities instead of shuttling them around to planned sports or events.

Yes ^^  When my children were growing up, I tried to give them room to be creative on their own terms, learn how to listen to other people, and how to learn from their mistakes. I was there to cheer them on and to back them up if they got in over their heads. As long as they weren't doing something illegal or life-threatening, though, I was inclined to let them make their own choices and stupid mistakes. We always ended the day by me asking, "So, what did you learn today?"

I have rarely been as proud of my daughter as I was when she graduated from college. In the quiet time after ceremonies, I asked her what she had learned, and she said,

"I learned that I am really good at something."

"I learned how to work and play well on hard jobs with the other guys."

"I learned that there are a lot of people who care about me."

If I had any part in preparing her mind to learn those things, I'm happy. I'm also proud that she is raising two teenage sons who seem to be turning out OK. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.