How to educate kids as a father

XW2020

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, XW2020 said:

As a father, what's your feeling about educating your kids? Do you have any good ways to interact and teach your kids?

SL kids or RL kids?  Educate them in what - some SL topic or RL topic?  

I'm confused.

• Like 3

Educate your kids? Read to them often. Talk to them. Encourage them to always ask questions and be curious. Explore with them, even if it's just in the backyard or local park. Get a library card. Buy a magnifying glass. Listen to music together and talk about the lyrics. Watch NASA on YouTube. 

Teach them critical thinking skills and not to just accept an answer without being certain that the answer is the right one. Teach them how to explain their thoughts, feelings, and emotions. Communication skills are essential in critical thinking. Teach them to value the lessons that can be learned from others - both good and bad, and how to tell the difference between the two (see: critical thinking skills).

Teach them that learning never ends. Inspire them to be passionately curious. 

• Like 6

Hi, I am totally new here and  have a daughter of 8 years old. I would like to communicate with you about how to interact with a kid of that age effectively and what are the most important educational roles a father should played. By the way, what do you mean by SL kid? Thanks a lot.

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

These are forums -- anyone is allowed an opinion.

:SwingingFriends:

Well my opinion is based on a rl mother who is currently educating their child.  Mornings we do school set work which I oversee making sure he gets a proper spread of subjects.  Afternoons we educate in many ways some examples planting seeds and looking after them, cooking, some minor DIY, he built a bird box and currently this week is doing a coding course I paid for him to do run by the Minecraft people.  (It is technically a school holiday week if they were in school at the moment.)  He is absolutely loving it.   

How I interact is pretty simple.  We talk.  We offer each other ideas on what he is or might be interested in.  Communication. Be prepared to change your plan depending on how your child is feeling in these times.  We had a whole afternoon just chatting, a cuddle and lots of icecream in the garden because he was getting lockdown crazy. 

• Like 2

I think sometimes (love Beth's answer) you can also find a shared interest to use to teach them.    We got ours a Raspberry Pi.   Skills we are learning are patience, logical thinking, problem solving, creative thinking, assessment of solutions, design, coding, having fun, persevering etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a daughter, I can say that my father set the example of what a real man is. Every other man I've ever met in my life gets compared to him, and almost all have come up lacking. He set the bar very high through how he loved and treated my mother with respect, dignity, and reverence. He supported her without question. If they had a disagreement, they handled it behind closed doors through communication and not screaming and fighting.

He raised his sons to know that women were equal.

He raised all his kids to know that everyone is equal. 

He was never afraid to show his emotions - sadness, happiness, anger (in a healthy way), joy. My grandmother used to joke that he had his bladder behind his eyeballs because he wasn't afraid to cry in front of us, whether it was an especially touching Christmas commercial (I inherited this from him) or the loss of a pet, or the loss of one of his children. 

Being a girl dad is a huge and wonderful responsibility. Listen to her. Above all else, teach her that you love her unconditionally without question. 

And when she reaches that age, don't act embarrassed if she needs you to run to the store and buy pads. Act like it's no different than her needing you to run to the store for a loaf of bread. ☺️

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Are you sure that you're in the spot you were looking for?

Maybe not, but if it was meant to be posted elsewhere it reminds me of a Reddit thread from a couple years ago when someone received a new tea set (teapot, cups, lots of different loose teas) and went on Reddit to ask the Tea subreddit for advice on how make the best cup of tea. The poster somehow completely messed up, though, and posted his request in the Tattoos subreddit. 

They received something like 1,000 comments full of advice for making the perfect cup of tea from the tattoo aficionados. 

In comparison to a lot of threads around here recently, this one is a breath of fresh air and could be a burst of positivity that we greatly need right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XW2020 said:

I am wondering is there a SL parent forum on Second life?

Have you considered asking in the World of Warcraft forum? They always have excellent parenting advice over there.

[Update] Aw, darn it! I took the troll bait. Someone's currently laughing their *** off reading all the responses here. Oh well. Whatever gets their rock off.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Discipline & values with precise reasoning clarified by personal example.
The priceless gift of astonishingly eloquent comprehension skills.

It's never too late to start,
lest your personal conduct causes you to become detested, discarded & irrelevant.
Do try and avoid this. 

Edited by Maryanne Solo
too, to twain. Woo woo!
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.