Can i use Disney texture for my crib for sale?

Ann22 Daxter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

really it's not legal to use disney textures unless you obtain permission from the copyright holder but if you take a look at the marketplace you will no doubt see items made with textures from cartoons, video games and RL brands it's quite likely no permission would have been sought to use them and you risk getting yourself in hot water if the copyright holder decides to take action over them

• Like 4

Without permission from the copyright holder the answer would be no, that said depending how much you really want to do this obtaining such permission might not be as hard as most people presume.  The fact is most copyright holders don't want to hide their work away they simply want to be compensated fairly when others are making money from it.  I know people that have recieved permission from several large copyright holders to use their material in exchange for a percentage of sales none from disney specifically but if approached fairly they would possibly consider it though they would probably want a reasonable volume.

On the other hand there is another option, on the internet there are nemerous sites holding cartoon artwork created by small independent artists, there is some very high quality origional material out there.  Of course once again you could not use their work without permission but a small independent artist is probably more likely to grant it even in a situation where the sales volume is smaller, you will probably even find some that might be willing to permit free usage in exchange for the fact it promotes their work (Probably requiring a credit in your information notecard with a URL to their art site or similar).

In all honesty there is generally little reason to take the risk of using someones copyrighted work without permission as there are safer ways to obtain high quality artwork to use.  Good luck to you.

oooohhh I would be careful about that.

In one word.. No.

But.. as long as you aren't selling the items and only using them for your own personal use, you will probably get away with it.  Even so, you are asking for a load of problems if the wrong person sees it. 

I think you are better off getting a good graphics program and making some "The Little Merman" PJ's for your baby or perhaps "Mickey Marmoset" sheets. 

Don't mess with Disney... You don't want to run into Goofy and Donald when they are off duty and had a few too many....

Seriously.. they will mess you up.

Edited to add: 

I reread your question and saw where it says you intend to sell the item in question... How can you possibly think that it would be legal to copy a trademarked copyrighted image and slap it on some crib you made and then sell it here?  I know I'm not supposed to call people names here on the forum anymore and we are all trying to be polite but people like you make it very very hard for me not to say what I really really want to right about now....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.