Log Homes Look

Kathlen Onyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just got a log home and while I love where I am and it's my favorite theme I can't help but be a bit disappointed with the look of them.  The architecture is great and is what a lot of Log homes look like but the siding is just that...siding.

I would have liked to see more rounded edges on the outside to look like logs because that's what log homes are made of. *I'm sure some are not but that what I think of when I think log home*

I would have liked the inside and outside railings to look more like logs and perhaps some log beams near the ceiling.  The inside basically look like a traditional home.  When you are inside you have no idea you are in a log home. 

I hope some of those great builders who do the add on's make an outside shell that looks like a real log home or add on's that add more of that look on the inside.

Before anyone says anything I do appreciate what the moles have done and I continue to appreciate it.

Lots of people will share your view and I do to an extent as well - with Victorians I remember my expectation was that they would have attics and glasshouses! - but I have come to realise and appreciate that the LH, whilst starter homes, give you unique opportunity to flex your imagination. Everyone gets the same build regardless of parcel layout or position, the fun is taking that and making it yours. I thought they may be rounded logs too but now I don't notice it so much only the potential of them :) 

• Like 1

I see your point, but because of how little prims we get I wish we didn't have to use them up to make look like a log home.  If you change the color they don't even look like log homes at all, they look like traditional ones.

I have bought a couple add-on's that make the house look more authentic.  I think the add-on's were made in the spirit of the theme so I am happy about that.

• Like 1

I'm not a builder, so this is probably wrong, but maybe it costs more in LI/triangles/whatever to make something like rounded logs instead of flat siding? I agree that logs would look nicer, but maybe there is a practical reason like avoiding lag that made them decide not to do that.

What I've done on the interior is go for a dark wall color to exactly match the exterior color (so, dark brown or moss), and that makes it feel more like "cabin" to me. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm not a builder, so this is probably wrong, but maybe it costs more in LI/triangles/whatever to make something like rounded logs instead of flat siding?

This was my guess as to why they were not actually rounded.  Yes, rounded edges take lots more triangles & vertices to get a smooth rounded look - and that would definitely increase the LI of the homes, which are already quite high.  More LI on the homes means lots less landscaping.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I once noticed some Linden or mole refer to the Log Homes as Mountain Homes, and I wish they had called them that.  Then we would have less of an expectation of log cabin verisimilitude. For me, the mountainous landscape is the most distinguishing feature of LogLand, and the inspiration for the Colorado-esque architecture of the homes.

• Like 7

I also had a different idea about cabins, more a rustic feeling/little cabin in the woods, but I guess that always happens, since we all come from different backgrounds and have different perspectives on things. It is quite hard to meet everyone's expectations, but the point of 'Mountain homes' name, would make total sense. 

Having said that, with all my ups and downs with the new theme, I've really come to love them

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I once noticed some Linden or mole refer to the Log Homes as Mountain Homes, and I wish they had called them that.  Then we would have less of an expectation of log cabin verisimilitude. For me, the mountainous landscape is the most distinguishing feature of LogLand, and the inspiration for the Colorado-esque architecture of the homes.

This is how I think of them. They are like Colorado mountain homes. They are very lovely and I adore the dirt roads and woodsy feel. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

That's probably the best way to resolve this one. The problem is in the word "log", which leads you to expect that the next word will be "cabin". These aren't cabins.  The moles didn't build them to be rustic places where you sleep in a sleeping bag on a rickety steel cot and cook your meals in a cast iron skillet on a wood stove.  Those would be very cool places for weekend getaways but I suspect most people have more fun decorating and living in the upscale "mountain homes" that the moles built. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The moles didn't build them to be rustic places where you sleep in a sleeping bag on a rickety steel cot and cook your meals in a cast iron skillet on a wood stove.  Those would be very cool places for weekend getaways but I suspect most people have more fun decorating and living in the upscale "mountain homes" that the moles built. 

Oh I agree.  What you are describing is more like a camping site not a log cabin. 🙂 As I said I do love the homes and the surrounding landscape.  I was thinking more like this. 

i067738_preview.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.