Adult Content - be afraid, be very afraid - of Google

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

meetingwarningnotice.thumb.png.bf52d56916df77fad6ec07b217242f54.png

Watch the Lindens and the Firestorm developers talk about the problems of getting EEP into Firestorm! See the viewer developers discuss the chat delay problem!

Definitely not for children, unless they know C++.

This is a big reputation problem for SL. How can someone hold a business meeting or convention in SL when there's enough fear that someone felt this warning was necessary? It seems silly, but it's a huge problem for anyone posting videos if they get hit by a badly aimed Youtube ban hammer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There were issues with YouTube and the FTC when it came to videos that were directed at children (12 and under... once they're 13, they're on their own). YouTube was taken to court and the rules changed to comply with COPPA. Which is outdated, because it was aimed at stopping children giving out their phone number online and not things like recommendation algorithms, but that's how it is right now.

Videos aimed at children are allowed under the new rules, but they get a lot of features removed (like the comments section). There's the possibility of being fined by the FTC (up to $42530 per video) if they feel a video was aimed at children and it wasn't correctly marked.

The result of all this is videos where someone might get it wrong at first glance, such as video games, cartoons, and anything with bright colours, may have a warning that it isn't for children. Not because the content is very adult, but because it's not content aimed at children. Second Life could look like a video game and has bright colours and cute animals, hence putting warnings that it isn't for children.

Personally, I've put warning notes in my video descriptions, rather than mess up videos with warning screens. But either way, people are going to warn, because nobody wants to be fined.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As it appears to have been added by the uploader then @Polenth Yueis probably right. Its not actually blocked. Personally, I would remove the 'movie is not meant for kids'. In fact, a simple rewording takes all the scary away.

Although yes, a C++ warning would be appropriate (well it has given me nightmares for decades).

Ah, here's the FTC guidance.

The real problem is that YouTube wants to track viewers, even if the video is not "monetized" and the user is not logged into Google. (If the user has a Google account, Google presumably knows how old they are,  along with a lot more about them.) Google tracking kids is a COPPA violation. Has nothing to do with the content. This is really a Google-created problem, with Google wanting to track non logged in users.

It makes SL look bad. How many videos do you see with warnings like that?

• Like 1

When you upload a video to Youtube, it's required that you declare your video either "made for kids" or "not made for kids." You have to pick one, there's no default option. The embedded disclaimer is unnecessary and not something required by Youtube.

426c262951.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, animats said:

meetingwarningnotice.thumb.png.bf52d56916df77fad6ec07b217242f54.png

Watch the Lindens and the Firestorm developers talk about the problems of getting EEP into Firestorm! See the viewer developers discuss the chat delay problem!

Definitely not for children, unless they know C++.

This is a big reputation problem for SL. How can someone hold a business meeting or convention in SL when there's enough fear that someone felt this warning was necessary? It seems silly, but it's a huge problem for anyone posting videos if they get hit by a badly aimed Youtube ban hammer.

Damn you! I kept clicking that link, video wouldn't open; and now turns out if was just a .png file. 😜

Edited by kiramanell
  • Haha 5

I have a YouTube channel for artworks.
Fortunately none of my videos are produced for children.

The chances of a child browsing my channel are reasonable I suppose,

but I am not that desperate enough of a salesperson to be taking risks or
"be seen to be" catering to anyone other than adults.

I'd certainly invite SLrs to it, but you would have to be wearing silk gloves as it's so squeaky clean
and I like that. 8^) 

• Thanks 1

I don’t think the info is incorrect or ‘scary warning of adult content’. I’d consider a similar one myself if I ever post SL video content on YouTube just to make it clear that I’m recommending (and portraying) SL correctly and under LL’s own rules for use by people of different ages. Yes there’s an SL reputation problem and many people who don’t use the platform have a very skewed perception of it but it doesn’t have anything to do with videos or warnings like this, IMO. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.