Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I know people will hide groups for privacy and such but does that also apply when all groups are hidden?? 

Edited by mhardcastle
Wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mhardcastle said:

I know people will hide groups for privacy and such but does that also apply when all groups are hidden?? 

I'm not quite sure what you're asking - are you asking if a person does not have any groups showing, did they hide all of them for privacy and such?

It is likely that some people may hide all of their groups for privacy.  If a group shows the members list, then someone else in that group can see when any other member of the group was last online, or if they are currently online.  So if someone has had issues caused by someone else joining groups they belong to and using that online info to harass them, for example, they may decide to hide all the groups they belong to to try to minimize those types of issues. 

If this wasn't what you were asking, then you might want to clarify a bit more about what your question is.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mhardcastle said:

I know people will hide groups for privacy and such but does that also apply when all groups are hidden?? 

some hide groups because they are ashamed or embarrassed being in some of them and what others might say or think about them for being a member of that group. Some people are just very private and do not think anyone needs to know what groups they are in. Which is true, no one has the right to know what groups anyone else is in at all. If someone wants to hide all their groups that is their choice, they dont have to share what groups they are part of.

They may have been stalked by someone before and had to leave groups both shared. They may have been harassed for being in two competing groups of different creators who dislike each other. ahem.. oc.. vd...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. Stalkers are absolutely out there. I'd much rather make it appear that I'm in no groups as opposed to them being able to see the groups I'm in. If you're going to go through the effort to find me in a group, I'm going to make it as difficult for you to find me as possible. You wanna find me? Fine, BUT, you're going to work for it.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LunaRavencroft said:

Absolutely. Stalkers are absolutely out there. I'd much rather make it appear that I'm in no groups as opposed to them being able to see the groups I'm in. If you're going to go through the effort to find me in a group, I'm going to make it as difficult for you to find me as possible. You wanna find me? Fine, BUT, you're going to work for it.

The only groups I have shown are the invite only groups im in. So I dont worry about the others happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why people hidde groups. People look in the groups list and are judgemental. The put you in category just because you added a group. I often add a group just to play a game. In my begining I added a group by mistake. I have plenty of group in my group list that I don't know the reason. When you arrived in a place the first things I have to do is to close all popup and questions that I don't understand. In the list of question often is been added in a group. So I don't read it because reading english demands me lot of effort now I know reply ALWAY No of close the windows. All this question this is only to make harder to play but this is part of the game.

 

I never receid an IM someone telling me Oh you belong to that  group nice !!!

 

Instead the conversation tend to be more judgemental and I had to justify me why I belong to that group. In fact it was an accident.

Now to avoid such difficulty I hidde my groups when I don't forget

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Lureo said:

 

I never receid an IM someone telling me Oh you belong to that  group nice !!

I kinda want to know how common it is, someone iming you because you are in a certain group.(in general, i don't mean you specifically)

I tend to just hide the VIP groups that I'm in. After the ungodly amount of time I've been here on and off of new accounts, I don't care if someone looks at my groups and judges me on them.

That just shows they aren't worth getting to know.

Edited by Eseme Nova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it depends on the nature of the group.  Store groups, I don't see a reason to hide unless I am being stalked by someone and want to just hide my presence everywhere.  But if you're in a 'sensitive' group - for example: AA or NA for recovery or a suicide survivor's group or some health issue or even a fetish, you may want to hide that group membership from others because you don't want random people knowing you are ill or have a particular sexual interest or you are a recovering addict. 

Were I a business owner in SL, I might seriously consider hiding some or all of my groups.  When you own a business, you get a lot more traffic to your profile, and where you shop, what groups you buy your templates from, whether you have MS or something like that... is really not your customers business unless you want it to be.  If you have a customer who is unhappy, they could also follow you to whatever group you're in and make you miserable or even lie about you. 

Everyone's different.  Some people let everything hang out there.  Some people prefer to keep their business private just on principle.  There are also people who wish their groups were invisible but don't know how to hide their groups.  Learning how to use SL's tools can be a job of work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My entire profile is empty, my SL is my business. If someone want to get to know me, they have the possibility to contact me. Why is this? Because there are people out who have nothing better to do than to judge or stalk others for different reasons. So it has nothing to do with embarrassing groups or anything what I could not explain. In RL I don't wear a profile on my head, well this is SL and the argument that it would represent the SL resident might sound plausible for some people here, not for me any longer after more than 13,5 years.  On the other hand, for those who are into Roleplay it's a must have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I chose to hide some of my groups, after a man decided that some of those now hidden groups meant, that a shopping event is the perfect place to make sexual comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some guys join female centric groups and use the group list to surf profiles and IM individuals who are in world. I've had this happen a few times. When I get pinged out of the blue, I ask how the guy knows me, and they dont hide how they found me.

Some guys also hang around popular in world stores looking for suitable females...... it's just how it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Some guys join female centric groups and use the group list to surf profiles and IM individuals who are in world. I've had this happen a few times. When I get pinged out of the blue, I ask how the guy knows me, and they dont hide how they found me.

   Hiding your groups is no protection against that particular aspect of it, though.

   Firstly because, if they IM you, they're already on your profile, so hiding your groups at that point is moot.

   Secondly because whether or not you hide a group on your profile, you can still be found in the group's roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Orwar said:
33 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Some guys join female centric groups and use the group list to surf profiles and IM individuals who are in world. I've had this happen a few times. When I get pinged out of the blue, I ask how the guy knows me, and they dont hide how they found me.

   Hiding your groups is no protection against that particular aspect of it, though.

   Firstly because, if they IM you, they're already on your profile, so hiding your groups at that point is moot.

   Secondly because whether or not you hide a group on your profile, you can still be found in the group's roster.

What Orwar said. 

If people are IMing you simply because they are perusing the member list of a group, I'd ask the group owner to make the member list private - unless it is a group specifically for meeting people for one reason or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What Orwar said. 

If people are IMing you simply because they are perusing the member list of a group, I'd ask the group owner to make the member list private - unless it is a group specifically for meeting people for one reason or another.

Yeah, it doesn't bother me that they do that. I quite enjoy sparring in world anyway. But I get that some people dont want it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   Hiding your groups is no protection against that particular aspect of it, though.

   Firstly because, if they IM you, they're already on your profile, so hiding your groups at that point is moot.

   Secondly because whether or not you hide a group on your profile, you can still be found in the group's roster.

Not if the roster is not set to public by the group's admins. Some  groups also hide the members list in the group to protect against that very behavior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really care about hiding groups for privacy... I do it to keep my profile more organized as the only group i have displaying are the one i'm interest people joining lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 7:36 PM, kali Wylder said:

I only hide the kinky ones. I don't care who knows where I shop.

I actually have a couple on mine showing that I used to shop at, but don't anymore..Throw them off the scent from the get go..hehehehe

My naughty ones I don't sho..😰..I mean I don't have any naughty ones to show..  :ph34r:

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Violet Sockington said:

I am just embarrassed by how many shopping groups I am in. 😂

Do you often find yourself leaving one shopping group, so you can join another shopping group?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you often find yourself leaving one shopping group, so you can join another shopping group?

I used to do that. had all my group slots filled and always was in a pickle trying to decide which to leave to join the new to get the item then if should leave and join the other back again so would not miss out on something there.

i shuffled my groups weekly if not daily at one point in time. then I took a break form sl and left all my groups and now only use half the slots ever and its more peaceful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many people have too many concerns what others might think.

If a stranger ever asks a stupid question about groups my answer will be: right click / block
If I decide to hide all my groups I will still get stupid questions, although that is nobodys business. If it's a stranger: same procedure.

Friends maybe get an answer, maybe even a non-fun answer. 😎
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you often find yourself leaving one shopping group, so you can join another shopping group?

 

3 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I used to do that. had all my group slots filled and always was in a pickle trying to decide which to leave to join the new to get the item then if should leave and join the other back again so would not miss out on something there.

i shuffled my groups weekly if not daily at one point in time. then I took a break form sl and left all my groups and now only use half the slots ever and its more peaceful.

 

I leave a slot open regularly for doing the quick join/leave of some of the freebie groups - like Fabulously Free and such - in order to claim a gift.

I also keep a second slot open for short term memberships like a hunt group or such that I want to stay in for more than a few minutes, but definitely not long-term.

Every now and then I'll run across a new store group that I want to join and then I have the agony of trying to figure out which of my other groups I'm going to leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

 

 

I leave a slot open regularly for doing the quick join/leave of some of the freebie groups - like Fabulously Free and such - in order to claim a gift.

I also keep a second slot open for short term memberships like a hunt group or such that I want to stay in for more than a few minutes, but definitely not long-term.

Every now and then I'll run across a new store group that I want to join and then I have the agony of trying to figure out which of my other groups I'm going to leave.

Don't we get extra group slots now, as Premium benefit? (Or is that a "pay more later for the new benefit"?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Don't we get extra group slots now, as Premium benefit? (Or is that a "pay more later for the new benefit"?)

Yes.  I have 70 slots and 68 are full, with 2 reserved for my above noted usages.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...