Technical Problem

vJamesv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When logging into second life viewer my account keeps getting logged out when the Smart hubs device manager is set for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz  but when setting it to only 5 GHz it keeps my account logged in permanently that's when I turned of the 2.4 GHz. So why cant SL viewer doesn't except the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz? Is there anything in the SL settings network which needs to be changed in order to resolve the technical complication? (This is a band related issue) not a internet connection or region issue. If anyone can help it will be appreciated ☺️ 

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, vJamesv said:

When logging into second life viewer my account keeps getting logged out when the Smart hubs device manager is set for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz  but when setting it to only 5 GHz it keeps my account logged in permanently that's when I turned of the 2.4 GHz. So why cant SL viewer doesn't except the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz? Is there anything in the SL settings network which needs to be changed in order to resolve the technical complication? (This is a band related issue) not a internet connection or region issue. If anyone can help it will be appreciated ☺️ 

Generally it is advised not to run SL with a wireless connection.  SL requires a very stable connection, without any little pauses or drops.  It might be that the 2.4 GHz connection in your environment is not providing a stable enough connection.   I don't know what a Smart hubs device manager does, but if its switching between the two bands while you are logged in to SL, I could see a drop occurring during that switch. 

If you need to run a wireless connection, is there a problem for you with just using the 5 GHz connection? 

SL does not know what WiFi band you're using, or even whether you are using WiFi at all.  What it cares about is the speed and consistency of your connection to the internet.

In your case, your WiFi connection is one part of that connection.  If you're getting logged off, there's something screwy with the speed, the consistency, or both.

As bigmoe says, WiFi is not recommended for SL, even though many people use it with no problems.  You are going to be much better off if you can run a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable from your computer to your router.

Since the Ethernet protocols were updated to "N" wireless works well for SL. If your router does 5ghz it has N. So, you should be good on wireless.  But, you aren't. That suggests you have a signal problem between your computer and the router. 5ghz does not pass through walls and other things as well as 2.4ghz does. It also has way more trouble with florescent lights and other electrical devices. So, if you have a ham radio operator next door then the 2.4 will likely be more stable.

Interference problems are difficult to track down. You can sit next to your router-access-point and see if that makes a difference. If it does, it is likely an interference problem. Track it down. If no difference, then probably not.

There are signal meters to tell you how strong the signal is that your computer is seeing. Laptops usually have them built in. You can Google for how to check signal strength on your device. Check strength near the router and wherever you usually use the computer. Near the router-ap 80+ is likely. Signal below 60 should still give you a decent connection. Below 50, you bump now and then. Below 40 it gets dicey and depends on how good an antenna your computer has. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.