Do you think there will be a new 512m2 home style?

Raspberry Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What would be popular, beach huts! After the fight to get a log house next to water, it is clear that water is one of the most desirable landscaping.

Even I, loving my 351 prims with a passion, might be tempted to try one 512 m with a "your own beach guarantee".

Small islands shaped like amoebas, or a doughnut with uneven coast, and beach huts in a circle with palms and rocks between. Each island, their own volcano in the middle, lol? Or a small lake. LL already mass produced regions in Log Land, imagine having several types premade different mini islands patched together in an "Island continent"?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

What would be popular, beach huts! After the fight to get a log house next to water, it is clear that water is one of the most desirable landscaping.

Even I, loving my 351 prims with a passion, might be tempted to try one 512 m with a "your own beach guarantee".

Small islands shaped like amoebas, or a doughnut with uneven coast, and beach huts in a circle with palms and rocks between. Each island, their own volcano in the middle, lol? Or a small lake. LL already mass produced regions in Log Land, imagine having several types premade different mini islands patched together in an "Island continent"?

OK. Here is the CORRECT spot for my comment that went astray.    

Beach Huts or something similar was mentioned as an "upcoming" theme about this time last year when the birthday bash was going on [ I think Patch]  and when all the little beach cabins were used as decoration.  So very likely they will appear sometime and SUMMER seems to be the best IMO.  Plans can of course change. 

So far as not enough prims for the campers (or any upcoming tiny homes like beach huts) -- my alt completely decorated a camper and landscaped and still had 30 land impact or so left over.  "I" decorated TWO different campers with lots of extra landscaping and clutter at the Home Expo demos and had no problem at all.  175 is very adequate for a small home as long as you don't use "primmy" items.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Beach Huts or something similar was mentioned as an "upcoming" theme about this time last year when the birthday bash was going on [ I think Patch]  and when all the little beach cabins were used as decoration.  So very likely they will appear sometime and SUMMER seems to be the best IMO.  Plans can of course change. 

Summer would be great, but who knows if @Patch Linden's team will be able to amass the number of regions necessary for a theme release before the cloud port is done in the fall?  His earlier postings about the lack of new regions did not seem promising.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:32 AM, Patch Linden said:

At the present, we're not going to be looking at any sort of down-sizing, rebuilding or re-configuring of the old Linden Homes regions.   Work has not stopped on the new Linden Homes either.  We have a good bit of runway to continue the build and release of the already present themes and regions to carry us through without adding any new regions.   We will also continue to work on the upcoming themes at full speed ahead to get them ready for future release.  

That said, beach huts would I'm sure be wildly popular.  I wonder if they could sandwich a couple of mer homes into that theme?

I continue to have a creeping suspicion that some sort of mer home is in the works.

897333052_merclue.JPG.de9d0fb54cf55e89d0d8cb0b1820f790.JPG

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So far as not enough prims for the campers (or any upcoming tiny homes like beach huts) -- my alt completely decorated a camper and landscaped and still had 30 land impact or so left over.  "I" decorated TWO different campers with lots of extra landscaping and clutter at the Home Expo demos and had no problem at all.  175 is very adequate for a small home as long as you don't use "primmy" items.  

My camper is easily furnished within the 175 limit too, and I even have enough left over to have a vehicle parked.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Summer would be great, but who knows if @Patch Linden's team will be able to amass the number of regions necessary for a theme release before the cloud port is done in the fall?  His earlier postings about the lack of new regions did not seem promising.

That said, beach huts would I'm sure be wildly popular.  I wonder if they could sandwich a couple of mer homes into that theme?

I continue to have a creeping suspicion that some sort of mer home is in the works.

897333052_merclue.JPG.de9d0fb54cf55e89d0d8cb0b1820f790.JPG

I agree that looks like a mermaid, but that picture, to me, looks a lot like the island at SSPE1199 along the long river area by the log homes

1852426022_20200524SSPE1199_002.thumb.png.1d2d8ebae9dee45c91f5f66cc4929972.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

My camper is easily furnished within the 175 limit too, and I even have enough left over to have a vehicle parked.

When I tried out the log homes I had this weird resistance, and thought 'do I really have to  fill this up before I get itchy feet and have to start over again to get a new view?'
I've decided to take the gamble that a new-style 512 will appear eventually, and am having fun seeing how far my premium allowance will go.
This is my list so far;

1. 512 Meadowbrook Linden house
  2. 128 Tiny house on narrow plot with thin side next to sailable ocean, Corsica, regular mainland
  3. 240 Cliffside squarish plot  with a bay view, which fits a reduced sized regular house
  4. 192 left to 'spend', hoping for a driveable roadside space so I can get the car out on regular mainland
  5. 3.2m2  (if I knew four other people with the same amount leftover we could club together and buy a roadside tree on a 16m2 plot 🌳)
  6. Access to partner's Belli boathouse

This is more than enough for now, and we also have our opensim  place as which is great for the simpler life with more space.  If I want to move I can replace one of my smaller plots, which is less effort in terms of redecorating. This seems to be working for now.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Moira Timmerman said:

I agree that looks like a mermaid, but that picture, to me, looks a lot like the island at SSPE1199 along the long river area by the log homes

1852426022_20200524SSPE1199_002.thumb.png.1d2d8ebae9dee45c91f5f66cc4929972.png

The trees are different, though. The rocks have some differences as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The trees are different, though. The rocks have some differences as well.

It's pretty similar though.  I don't know if it's just a matter of lighting and camera location or if it is a completely different build (not one of the islands at all in the log home area).   

1 minute ago, Moira Timmerman said:

It's pretty similar though.  I don't know if it's just a matter of lighting and camera location or if it is a completely different build (not one of the islands at all in the log home area).   

I was thinking it's a clone thing, like many of the regions with homes on them. Just looking at the tree styles, mainly, as one seems to be from the log home area, and the other from more like a trad area. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Moira Timmerman said:

Pic could have been taken at a prototype of the eventual released version of the island?

• Like 2

I think the mermaid idea is fun, but too niche for a large part of users. Linden Lab aim for mainstream users with their homes.

I think it is just a Patch idea, to make the picture more interesting. He also likes to make us speculate.

No one speculates if this small boy (bear?) means a theme will be furry-related.

patchl.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

No one speculates if this small boy (bear?) means a theme will be furry-related.

patchl.jpg

That is Squeaky Mole in the ivy, which is likely why nobody was speculating anything base on her.  Here is a closer up picture of her:

image.png.62c2200d751ec289f209f41ac0ea609a.png

And her in that picture after zooming in close (using Patch's flickr picture):

image.png.4b75c7de3e984c60007648654b6fe08d.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

At the island I visited there were embedded seats/animations including one of hanging in front of the waterfall like Squeaky Mole was in that picture.  There was also a handstand animation, but on a rock on the other side of the waterfall from the rock Patch was doing a handstand on.  Very fun place!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Heck, let's not forget the ice cold lemonade glass Patch was holding in some of those shots. THAT is summer.

Clearly a clue that the next homes will be giant glasses! Ideal for those who want no privacy at all.

• Haha 12

No matter what method is used, some SL users are not going to be in the loop for communication. If someone either checked these forums and/or the overall SL community page, followed SL bloggers, watched the YouTube channels of SL vloggers, checked reddit.com/r/secondlife with any regularity, or subscribed to SL-themed Discord servers, you would think over the last year and a half they would have come across some information. But I guess there are many SL users who don't connect with these other resources online. Email is also a hit or miss because it's very possible that people could filter our or ignore their SL-related emails.

• Like 2

One thing I believe may make (help make) smaller (512m²) homes more popular would be to include some basic furnishings, in the build (outside of the LI allowance).

AS for styles, I would love to see smaller abobe based housing, or tiny homes (such as the last option for the trailers (I forget the name)). Basically a one or two room virtual structure.

• Like 1

I have one of the original LH and it suits me. I've put a lot of work into it.

There's been so many changes in the tech. They were set up in the era of 10m maximum prim size. Done right, mesh can be a lot more efficient than prims, lower LI and still looking good at longer distances.

And I have a place that suits what I do. But, just maybe, we have a bit too much of blatantly American nostalgia. Part of what makes me comfortable about my place, as I have developed it, is my subversion of the American influence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

I have one of the original LH and it suits me. I've put a lot of work into it.

There's been so many changes in the tech. They were set up in the era of 10m maximum prim size. Done right, mesh can be a lot more efficient than prims, lower LI and still looking good at longer distances.

And I have a place that suits what I do. But, just maybe, we have a bit too much of blatantly American nostalgia. Part of what makes me comfortable about my place, as I have developed it, is my subversion of the American influence.

I would really love to see some pics of it if you have any, maybe you could post them in the Linden Home Photo Thread?  I still like seeing what people do with the older homes, I always had a quad home until the new homes came out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arabellajones said:

But, just maybe, we have a bit too much of blatantly American nostalgia. Part of what makes me comfortable about my place, as I have developed it, is my subversion of the American influence.

While I cringe at some of your word choices*, I agree that as time has gone on, Belli themes have clung pretty closely to American styles.  Even the Vics seem more American than British.  The mole team may perhaps be following the age-old advice of designers the world over: stick with what you know.

It would be awful if they were to attempt some Thai-inspired style, for example, and blow some critical design elements just through not understanding.

But I would really be up for something different.  Fantasy, any form of Asian, Mediterranean - I too would love to see a departure from the current norms.

* I don't know if you can call any of the Belli themes 'nostalgic', as they echo styles that are currently in use by millions of people.  The US has not torn down old Vics and midcentury homes!  'Classic' campers are still being manufactured.  And, I don't know why you have to 'subvert' the American aspects  of your home; perhaps you've simply adapted it, or repurposed it, to your style? In RL, people do that all the time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

While I cringe at some of your word choices*, I agree that as time has gone on, Belli themes have clung pretty closely to American styles.  Even the Vics seem more American than British.  The mole team may perhaps be following the age-old advice of designers the world over: stick with what you know.

It would be awful if they were to attempt some Thai-inspired style, for example, and blow some critical design elements just through not understanding.

But I would really be up for something different.  Fantasy, any form of Asian, Mediterranean - I too would love to see a departure from the current norms.

While I agree one needs to understand what is designing, and knowing SL is a US based company, some of us would really appreciate if they could try to come up with a more international and inclusive approach :)  As you mention, it would be something different, and a Mediterranean theme would be like a dream

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

While I agree one needs to understand what is designing, and knowing SL is a US based company, some of us would really appreciate if they could try to come up with a more international and inclusive approach :)  As you mention, it would be something different, and a Mediterranean theme would be like a dream

I'm not sure why all the Moles need to be US based. Their job is the definition of one which can be done remotely, and whilst there may be operational reasons that Moles need to be online together for certain tasks it doesn't seem a far stretch to adapt this? Maybe this is already the case?

I don't know if this is a controversial viewpoint, but it feels to me like there has been less excitement around the themes which have been solely focused on one culture, whether that's the older Japanese homes or  the new Belli log homes. It seems like good marketing to appeal to the widest audience possible. Homes need an emotional appeal and familiarity to work, and anything which alienates a significant percentage of residents will reduce demand.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.