Missing Im's

001kittkatt001

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

Have you double-checked in "Preferences", in the viewer, to make sure that saving them didn't get turned off somehow?   (In the viewer I use, that option is on the "Chat" tab of "Preferences" - I'm not sure if it's in the the same location for all viewers).  

@001kittkatt001, there is a chat history file for every person who ever messages you on your hard drive, and aren’t saved anywhere else.

There are settings to control this as well as local chat.

If you change computers, your chat logs won’t come with you.  If you delete these chat files, they are gone forever.

You can go to your conversation log and see if their message is there. 

Edited by Kerrianne Wheatcliffe

7 hours ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

@001kittkatt001, there is a chat history file for every person who ever messages you on your hard drive, and aren’t saved anywhere else.

There are settings to control this as well as local chat.

If you change computers, your chat logs won’t come with you.  If you delete these chat files, they are gone forever.

You can go to your conversation log and see if their message is there. 

That's the thing. I haven't changed computers. I'm using the exact same one. I'm only having issues with the nearby chat and one person in private message. The other people I private message works just fine. Everything is saved

17 hours ago, Moira Timmerman said:

Have you double-checked in "Preferences", in the viewer, to make sure that saving them didn't get turned off somehow?   (In the viewer I use, that option is on the "Chat" tab of "Preferences" - I'm not sure if it's in the the same location for all viewers).  

I'm not even sure where to look. I've checked all the chat options. Looking at the privacy options, the only thing I could think of was the save nearby chat box but that says its already on

35 minutes ago, 001kittkatt001 said:

I'm not even sure where to look. I've checked all the chat options. Looking at the privacy options, the only thing I could think of was the save nearby chat box but that says its already on

Which viewer do you use? 

Also, have you changed viewers or computers recently?

28 minutes ago, 001kittkatt001 said:

I was using Second Life viewer then changed to Firestorm. I have the first page of messages just fine (the 15th) but after that, there's nothing. I've asked my friends and they don't know how to fix it either

image.png.9a4af78ee75b63cf7cde33de295786b6.png

38 minutes ago, 001kittkatt001 said:

I was using Second Life viewer then changed to Firestorm. I have the first page of messages just fine (the 15th) but after that, there's nothing. I've asked my friends and they don't know how to fix it either

Does the date of when they went missing correspond with the date you changed viewers?  Each viewer keeps the chat history in a different location on your computer.   So conversation history from when you were using the Second Life viewer would be in a different location than conversation history from the Firestorm viewer.  In Firestorm the place to check to make sure the viewer is saving the conversation history is 

preferences1.jpg.93b445ee6a0890dfd78cc1b78d81df7e.jpg

and the see or reset the directory that they are saved in is

preferences4.jpg.9258f4dc1c45ce0d389223686a5e6fd3.jpg

Ctrl + P is the short-cut to bring up the preferences window (it can also be found on the "Avatar" drop-down from the top menu bar)

If you had everything already set-up correctly,  or if I'm not understanding the issue correctly, then I'm not sure what else to suggest. 

On 5/24/2020 at 4:42 PM, Moira Timmerman said:

Does the date of when they went missing correspond with the date you changed viewers?  Each viewer keeps the chat history in a different location on your computer.   So conversation history from when you were using the Second Life viewer would be in a different location than conversation history from the Firestorm viewer.  In Firestorm the place to check to make sure the viewer is saving the conversation history is 

preferences1.jpg.93b445ee6a0890dfd78cc1b78d81df7e.jpg

and the see or reset the directory that they are saved in is

preferences4.jpg.9258f4dc1c45ce0d389223686a5e6fd3.jpg

Ctrl + P is the short-cut to bring up the preferences window (it can also be found on the "Avatar" drop-down from the top menu bar)

If you had everything already set-up correctly,  or if I'm not understanding the issue correctly, then I'm not sure what else to suggest. 

This issue started happening about 24 hours after I made the change. Everything looks exactly the same as the pictures. I opened the conversation logs location and the files are all empty. Would that have sometime to do with the single IM's missing?

7 minutes ago, 001kittkatt001 said:

This issue started happening about 24 hours after I made the change. Everything looks exactly the same as the pictures. I opened the conversation logs location and the files are all empty. Would that have sometime to do with the single IM's missing?

I don't save chat logs and transcripts myself anymore, but I believe that if you do, there will be individual files for each individual that you've had an IM conversation with while you've been on line.   I don't remember if there are separate files created for each day, or if there is one file created for all the conversations with the person (I think this depends on how you choose some of the options in preferences). 

If you have your viewer preferences set to save Logs and Transcripts, and have the folder location specified, and you've had conversations online with people since switching to Firestorm and all the files still are empty, you may need to check with Firestorm Support group in-world, unless someone else comes by this thread that is more knowledgeable than I am with this topic and has some other insights or suggestions.

One other thing - I've assumed that these are messages for IM's that have taken place while you've both been logged in-world.  I'm not sure how the saving works for IM's received when you are not logged in (there is a limit, though, as to how many of these can be received before you log back in - for that situation, you want to check the box for "Email me IM's..." preference option that Chic showed in her response).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.