A New Look For Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, TheDamed Spore said:

Ill accept that they think its funny, but i don't know how making me feel like i'm not wanted is funny.
it just makes me feel like i'm getting picked on. I didn't do anything different to anyone else i just gave my opinion and i gave it in as concise a manner as possible. 
next thing i'm being called names, and being told i cant know what i'm talking about because i didn't share someone else's opinion its relay horrible.
But is that a cultural thing? is telling someone to get out funny in some part of the world? Its just straight up mean, if someone says GET OUT they mean for you to leave.

There is a famous line from Shakespeare's Macbeth that Scylla was quoting. She was making a pun. A joke. Not at you.

And dude, you really need to go back and read what you wrote from the very first post. You weren't writing like a very nice person, and you started saying things first, like "take a class" or "with a little more education"... You may not have intended to come across as belligerent but you did. A language difference? Perhaps. For my part, I apologize for any of the personal remarks I made to you. As for the discussion about logos, what makes good ones, my opinions on your design suggestions, to quote our hostess: I said what I said.

Also, Sylvia asked us to stop bickering. We have. You should too. Really.

Edited by Gatogateau
I made an apology with a "but" in it and I don't do that
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, TheDamed Spore said:

Ill accept that they think its funny, but i don't know how making me feel like i'm not wanted is funny.
it just makes me feel like i'm getting picked on. I didn't do anything different to anyone else i just gave my opinion and i gave it in as concise a manner as possible. 
next thing i'm being called names, and being told i cant know what i'm talking about because i didn't share someone else's opinion its relay horrible.
But is that a cultural thing? is telling someone to get out funny in some part of the world? Its just straight up mean, if someone says GET OUT they mean for you to leave.

"Well, let's not bicker and argue about who killed who!" (See? Humor; 'Holy Grail' style). You both got into it a bit; no biggie; and it had already simmered down, from what I saw.

And I assure you, Scylla didn't really tell you to get out. I could try and explain why, but honestly, I feel there's a bit of a language barrier at play here. It's never wise to speak for anyone (but I'm going to do it anyway 😁), but I'm sure all Scylla wanted, is to just defuse the situation with some light humor. This, however, I can yell you with absolute certainty: if Scylla ever decides to lay in on you, you WILL know it. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

there is no excuse for the way Gatogateau and Beth Macbain have treated me in this thread, they have both been condescending and rude towards me, Beth i can understand is trolling

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Being nice for a change.

Here they state they are going out of their way to be mean in every other case, their goal has been to upset me so they can have a good laugh at my expense, i guess they were the sort of kid who loved to pick on the girl with the stack of books and trip them over to kick at them when they were on the ground crying, that's just bullying and ok i accept that.
but why did Gatogateau feel so compelled as to personally insult me at every turn. 
My opening comment was a harsh opinion about the logo.
I then agreed with Sylvia Tamalyn who made a very good point about blue being a poor color choice
and Gatogateau decided to give an opinion i actually appreciated about simplicity in logos, which i felt was a little obvious but i was kind enough to respond to it with a very preliminary brainstorm, on what could have been.
Beth Macbain of course has her bullying attempt with a meme.
Gatogateau responds to my statement with a personal insult
"You obviously have not sat in front of an art director and a table full of clients. That is some freshman graphics 101 project"
at no point up to here had i insulted or questioned anyone's intelligence i simply wanted to share an opinion.
after this point it just becomes a huge attack on me, WHY? what the hell made Gatogateau's opinion so much better than mine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TheDamed Spore said:

Why are you also being mean to me?
I have been attacked on this forum all over and you gave the bullies more ammo?
did you even read the context to which i was attacked?

Oh, pish posh and pfffft!

It's a joke, Damed (can I call you Damed?). It's a punning paraphrase from a Shakespeare play!

https://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/damned-spot

I absolutely agree that this forum needs to be friendly and welcoming! But it helps, too, if people don't come in with all guns blazing! Express yourself by all means, but do so gently, and without the bluster. You'll find, really and truly, people will respond the same way. This is a nice community, and you can be a part of it . . . if you want. Everyone here is very open to new posters, honestly!

In any case, my apologies if I gave the impression of being mean! Really, I think you'd make a great Lady Macbeth!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I like the font and the positioning of the words in the new logo.  I like that the hand is similar enough to the old one that I immediately think Second Life when I see it, even with it being a different color.  For me, the blue and white combination makes it feel very clean and crisp. 

• Like 5

The peril of any conversation is to find yourself turning into a Last Worder. You are right and they are wrong, and you are good and they are bad, so you must have the last word at all costs. It'll turn into insults and nothing new is being said, but you must have the last word. It's the only way that people will know you are right!

Except it doesn't work like that. Last Worders turn threads ugly and get them locked, spoiling it for everyone. That's what people remember. The endless nasty back and forth. Not who might have been right initially, because it no longer matters. Anyone who responds to this to agree with me who has been doing exactly that, but thinks they're exempt because they were right, unlike the other person... that's so classic Last Worder that I can predict it happening if I don't mention it.

The easy way to avoid it is to look back at your stats. Have you replied to the same person more than twice and it was not a pleasant conversation? If yes, nothing more you can say will make a difference, so no need to reply to/mention them again even if they reply to you. Have you said the same thing many times to different people? If yes, nothing new to say, so no need to reply. If everyone considered following that, this thread might actually manage not to get locked.

Seriously, it's a thread about whether we like the new freaky eyehand colour. Just think about that for a moment. It's a hand with an eye watching us like some sort of dark god. Focus on that instead of having the last word.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, pish posh and pfffft!

It's a joke, Damed (can I call you Damed?). It's a punning paraphrase from a Shakespeare play!

https://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/damned-spot

I absolutely agree that this forum needs to be friendly and welcoming! But it helps, too, if people don't come in with all guns blazing! Express yourself by all means, but do so gently, and without the bluster. You'll find, really and truly, people will respond the same way. This is a nice community, and you can be a part of it . . . if you want. Everyone here is very open to new posters, honestly!

In any case, my apologies if I gave the impression of being mean! Really, I think you'd make a great Lady Macbeth!

I honestly didn't understand the joke, and in the context of this thread i am not happy because i am being picked on, and what you said only furthered that.
I will accept you did not intend to harm me, i have never read Macbeth, i hope that when i do google this i wont feel hurt by you feeling i would make a good lady Macbeth, because that does seem like it might be a hidden stab, again i could be wrong. 
Also since it is somehow a topic of discussion, my name was chosen from a list of possible names when i signed up over ten years ago i did not type it, i did not misspell it, i simply clicked on a choice of 5 as this one didn't have any numbers in it. maybe in the future ill change it it has never been an issue i don't use the legacy names in my role play.
most people call me harleen.

Post EDIT:
http://www.shakespeare-online.com/plays/macbeth/sketchofladymacbeth.html
*sigh* i found Lady Macbeth character traits.

Edited by TheDamed Spore
Adding Macbeth stuff

6 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

This is all I see. Is this a new kind of non-gendered, PC kind of hug?

Capture.JPG

There seems to be a lot of that going around in this thread: ppl seeing things differently. :P But it's supposed to be 3 hug smileys:

hug.thumb.png.0c157f5988d1e225baa7b6bc8924de85.png

Edited by kiramanell
  • Haha 1

Just now, TheDamed Spore said:

I honestly didn't understand the joke, and in the context of this thread i am not happy because i am being picked on, and what you said only furthered that.
I will accept you did not intend to harm me, i have never read Macbeth, i hope that when i do google this i wont feel hurt by you feeling i would make a good lady Macbeth, because that does seem like it might be a hidden stab, again i could be wrong. 
Also since it is somehow a topic of discussion, my name was chosen from a list of possible names when i signed up over ten years ago i did not type it, i did not misspell it, i simply clicked on a choice of 5 as this one didn't have any numbers in it. maybe in the future ill change it it has never been an issue i don't use the legacy names in my role play.
most people call me harleen.

I hope you will believe me when I tell you now that you are not unwelcome here. And that no one intends to "pick" on you. Honestly, and truly.

This is a forum; it's a community where people discuss things, and that can sound a bit heated at times, but none of it is meant to leave anyone feeling "unwanted" or "bullied." Mostly, people are spirited. And they banter -- that is, joke around a lot. It can take a bit of time to get used to it (it took me some time!), but it's not meant to be hostile at all. People may not agree with you, but your opinion here is valued. If it weren't, you'd be simply ignored.

As for Lady Macbeth, she was an awesome woman. A little bit too hard-headed, but strong willed and smart. Unfortunately, she goes insane and dies at the end of the play, but then this is Shakespeare . . . the stage is always filled with corpses at the end. But I can assure you that calling you Lady Macbeth is no insult, at least not in my book.

Anyway, be cool. It's all good. No one wants you to leave. Welcome to the forums!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

From another designers perspective, 

In terms of the logo itself it's fine, but it could have been better executed. I would have liked to see a logo that flowed more cohesively and perhaps even an updated version of the icon (retaining the concept, but reinventing it in a modern way.) As for the word mark, there isn't really anything special about it and while it is a lot cleaner and more legible I don't know if it truly screams "Second Life" to me. I do personally prefer the change from green to blue, yet the reasoning seemed a bit forced. Overall the logo isn't anything special, and that is fine.

In terms of the announcement and overall rollout thus far, I feel as though it could have been done through a proper press release followed by a unified update to the websites and social media platforms... I do understand that they have different teams managing different aspects of the brand but I believe it could have been introduced in a more formal way rather then just saying "hey guys heres our new logo!" it just seemed a bit unprofessional in the grand scheme of things. 

At the end of the day, it was time for a rehash on the brand and I'm looking forward to seeing how they implement it across the platform.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, norajulian said:

I’m not going to lie, I looked at the announcement and said aloud “Huh. Something is kind of different.. it’s more blue?” But I didn’t really notice it. Oops! 

^^^^^ This.

If someone hadn't pointed out the font change, I'd never have picked up on that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

There seems to be a lot of that going around in this thread: ppl seeing things differently. :P But it's supposed to be 3 hug smileys:

hug.thumb.png.0c157f5988d1e225baa7b6bc8924de85.png

Gawd, even with insomnia I'm adorable. Lookit that face!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

There is a famous line from Shakespeare's Macbeth that Scylla was quoting. She was making a pun. A joke. Not at you.

Hehe; yeah. When Scylla pokes at you, she does it eruditon-syle. Me, I don't get much beyond the Holy Grail. 😁 She's a class act, alright.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

Hehe; yeah. When Scylla pokes at you, she does it eruditon-syle. Me, I don't get much beyond the Holy Grail. 😁 She's a class act, alright.

I happen to love Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I'd be proud to quote it! So there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

Seriously, it's a thread about whether we like the new freaky eyehand colour. Just think about that for a moment. It's a hand with an eye watching us like some sort of dark god. Focus on that instead of having the last word.

Oh THANKS [sarcasm font] (and if that isn't enough of a hint for some people...)(not aimed at thedamedspore). Really. I should have been in bed, asleep, three hours ago. Insomnia. Now you have to put THAT image in my head. :::goes to flip on ALL the lights:::

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.