Why won't the mini map stay configured at air travel?

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I still have problems flying sim to sim with aircraft, using the mini-map. During the flight I see ("blank" spot sims) on the map, 

as the plane flies up to them & crash the plane in flight. Any solutions to stop this from happening?

SL-Jet  Landing.PNG

5 answers to this question

Try not flying into those regions.   If they are offline, you will have trouble getting in.  If they are acting oddly, you may crash.

This reminds me of the old slapstick routine.

Doctor: "Well, then, what seems to be your problem?"

Patient:  "My arm hurts when I do this ....  [waves arm wildly].  I don't know what to do."

Doctor:  "Don't do that."

• Sad 1

First, don't use the Mini Map.  Its range is too limited, especially if you are flying a fast jet like that F-4.  Use the World Map.

I also suggest you get the Ban Line HUD.  It depicts areas with ban lines, Void areas, and parcels that are too full to allow your plane to enter.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

First, don't use the Mini Map.  Its range is too limited, especially if you are flying a fast jet like that F-4.  Use the World Map.

I also suggest you get the Ban Line HUD.  It depicts areas with ban lines, Void areas, and parcels that are too full to allow your plane to enter.

My luck---Now I have to use the world map for navigation between sims.

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Try not flying into those regions.   If they are offline, you will have trouble getting in.  If they are acting oddly, you may crash.

Patient:  "My arm hurts when I do this ....  [waves arm wildly].  I don't know what to do."

Doctor:  "Don't do that."    ral61 quote: Hopefully the world map can "see better" for navigation between sims.

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Doctor:  "Don't do that."

On 5/22/2020 at 12:56 PM, ral61 said:

My luck---Now I have to use the world map for navigation between sims.

I use Firestorm for flying and sailing. I use the mini map and a draw distance of 512m. Place the cursor over the mini map and roll the mouse wheel to zoom out. Zoom until each region is about 1/4" square (0.5cm). I fly helicopters and max at 150kph. The mini map keeps up even in script overloaded regions. You can typically see three to four regions ahead.

The Ban Line HUDs work wonderfully for sailing, IMO. I haven't had good luck using it when flying. I've found it falling behind in script lagged regions. Enough so that I am out flying it at which point it is just adding to the lag.

You have to watch for empty regions (darker blue empty regions), regions that have lost contact with the region you are in are shown as squares with transparent red overlays, and regions with a bunch of green dots lined up on the region boundary. Fly low enough to see the ground well. You can then see the missing regions, big 256x256m holes in the terrain. Missing regions do not always show correctly on the mini-map. Also, when they come back online they may not show up on the min-map for a couple of minutes.

Using the mini map (Ctrl-M) turn on parcel boundaries (right-click the map for settings). No boundaries show unless there is a region. Makes it easy to see the grid edges.

These indicators give you an idea of where you can fly. Trying to enter any region with one of these indicators is likely to crash you or stick you to the region boundary. 

Shergood Aviation has a map of Security Orbs and offline regions. Radar Map They also have mapped the aviation way points and their navigation system allows you to use the map to create flight plans that work with in cockpit gps.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.