Do LL rent servers to events

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i heard LL allows rental of whole servers dedicated to your sim.. True or Farce? lol

I like to learn if it is possible to rent a server, not for a full sim but for a part of a sim, a certain land area. As perfomer I would like to have a separate server handling my shows without any influence from the audience. So I like to learn if such an option to rent a server dedicated  to a very specific area is  a possibility??

Nope.  Second Life is an interactive world.  If you are in world, and your audience is in world in the same "physical" location, you are able to influence one another.

If you want to perform without audience interaction, I'd suggest you make a YouTube video of your performance.  Then anyone could watch it, without "influencing" you, either on a Second Life media stream, or right from your YouTube channel.

From a technical point of view, the actual physical server (the computer in a rack somewhere in a server facility) contains several CPU "cores".  Each core can run software that supports several SL regions...actual parts of the Second Life "physical" world, the land and sky and water we experience.  The software is not set up to just handle a part of a region. 

The software that takes your voice and music, or your video stream and funnels it into SL is different...that's not handled by LL at all.  We refer to it as a streaming server.  You can rent streaming services from any number of providers.

• Like 1

I don't think this is what you mean - but just in case - you can do your own server but not with SL - it would be Open Simulator (open source version of SL kind of).   You can set it up on your own computer.   It would be just you on it of course not the rest of SL...so certainly no influence from the audience as they wouldn't be present.

Hehe!  Ideas! 

Hide in SecondLife somewhere, stream your performance to media displays elsewhere in SecondLife, where the audience can watch.

Or use OpenSimulator for your performance area and stream your performance to media displays in SecondLife, where the audience can watch.

Don't use OpenSim for your performance unless you really dig this stuff and think your audience will too: OpenSim is not the same as OpenSimulator.

And remember, Linden Lab has updated their viewer to support live stream playback.  To quickly and easily check your stream, use Control + Alt + Shift + Z to open the media test browser in your Second Life Viewer and give it the URL to your live stream.

I assume third party viewers will adopt this soon if they don't already have it or similar capability.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your various informative  ideas and concepts of how to avoid audience influence on the server on which you too perform. Primary as a SL LIVE performer ( by this i mean, we perform in now time, all 3 of us. No prescripted animation to choreography our movements  either in synchronicity or as individuals are used. We perform in and as a unity, with a written program(  which we simply follow. All tools, circus equipment are oc  ready on stage to  active us, in our various acrobatic acts, Trapezes, rolling balls or  our walking elephant. The DJ, just as in RL, stream, talk and music as he follows what he see on stage. The main big issue is -we, asperformers never know what the audience bring with them as scripted items, attached to their body,  such as electric heat pillows in wintertime, invisble diamond rings in clitoris or simply high complexities in headgear and  HUDs.

All this drag the power from the server, we all well know this, but unfortunately it also  cause what ever  power there is to be limit to the performers and their highly needed efford to create their shows.. This is a well known fact in SL...so my idea was simply to add  a new source of  server power directly into the same sim where we perform , by buying a server myself (home) and everytime we needed to perform I would simply contact the right people at LL, inform them of time and date, and they would create a cornection between their  sim server and mine, so as to add power which would benefit the performers. I well understand, it is impossible to specify  my server power to a particular area on the sim, but even the idea of adding power would as I understand electronic technicalities be a plus for the show.... We cant sream viia media from  another sim, we are live performers directly and natural in real time.

Sister Yman  from The ChangHigh Sisters Fireshow of Light, Life & Love   

Yman, the system you envisage is called sharding. Second Life doesn't have that capability. It may one day but it would be some way off I would think

this said, Linden have recently built a live streaming capability

so you might want to look into this

Edited by Mollymews
edit link

12 hours ago, Yman Juran said:

i heard LL allows rental of whole servers dedicated to your sim.. True or Farce? lol

I like to learn if it is possible to rent a server, not for a full sim but for a part of a sim, a certain land area. As perfomer I would like to have a separate server handling my shows without any influence from the audience. So I like to learn if such an option to rent a server dedicated  to a very specific area is  a possibility??

another thing, what nearly is the same... is rent two regions.. one for the perfomer and one for the audience..

Thank you all for your various informative  ideas and concepts of how to avoid audience influence on the server on which you too perform. Primary as a SL LIVE performer ( by this i mean, we perform in now time, all 3 of us. No prescripted animation to choreography our movements  either in synchronicity or as individuals are used. We perform in and as a unity, with a written program(  which we simply follow. All tools, circus equipment are oc  ready on stage to  active us, in our various acrobatic acts, Trapezes, rolling balls or  our walking elephant. The DJ, just as in RL, stream, talk and music as he follows what he see on stage. The main big issue is -we, asperformers never know what the audience bring with them as scripted items, attached to their body,  such as electric heat pillows in wintertime, invisble diamond rings in clitoris or simply high complexities in headgear and  HUDs.

All this drag the power from the server, we all well know this, but unfortunately it also  cause what ever  power there is to be limit to the performers and their highly needed efford to create their shows.. This is a well known fact in SL...so my idea was simply to add  a new source of  server power directly into the same sim where we perform , by buying a server myself (home) and everytime we needed to perform I would simply contact the right people at LL, inform them of time and date, and they would create a cornection between their  sim server and mine, so as to add power which would benefit the performers. I well understand, it is impossible to specify  my server power to a particular area on the sim, but even the idea of adding power would as I understand electronic technicalities be a plus for the show.... We cant stream viia media from  another sim, we are live performers directly and natural in real time.

Sister Yman  from The ChangHigh Sisters Fireshow of Light, Life & Love   

17 minutes ago, Yman Juran said:
 We cant stream viia media from  another sim, we are live performers directly and natural in real time.

if you rent two regions, not sims, you can stream all sounds to the audience.. and the audience can see what happens on the other region.. wondering what would prevent your use.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Yman Juran said:

See the section under "Renting a region for a special event" where it says:

"Got a plan for a large event and need a temporary place to have it? Linden Lab offers temporary Full Region rentals. Rental amounts are to be paid in full at the beginning of the rental period."

IDK if this will help you or not.

A long time ago we set up a venue with two adjacent parcels, one each in two adjacent regions of Mainland.  Performers set up in a parcel on one side of the region border, spectators occupied a parcel on the other side of the region border.  There was some "child agent" load but it wasn't severe.  We didn't need whole regions for this because, at the time, we got lucky and those two regions were both rather lightly utilized.

• Like 1

Hi Andy Yeah  long ago a  dual set up between  2 sims was fine and still is, even even with 3 or 4 sims when one sim is sole allocated to the performers...But many events today, but not all simply set out an area on  a sim on which shops and other activities is ongoing.

If organizers in many cases would remember there is a huge  difference in how much pc power  performers use  in contrast to  static shops or pure installation.  I am not a technical nerd in no way, but as a 13+year live performer in SL i have gone through much to teach organizers how best  but many  events change their core leaders  and next year  one is back to zero..

I wonder, got this idea, but dont know if  possible. Primary one sim is purely allocated to shows, so it would be quite easy to cross mark it so there are 4 equal areas, giving  the first performing group full power almost as the 3  other  performing group in peace can prepare their setting up,, so with 4 angles, 4 stage potentials, all the organizers need do is to let any audience  watch from the aligned sim respectively/ a 5 sim solution  with several, many performing groups)   see images.1602204545_45simsolutioncopy.png.5b77c95855189b980b8ff9636b1a8cf5.png

4 sim design 3_001.jpg

37 minutes ago, Yman Juran said:

the picture above shows a perfect  solution.

Yes. Note that you can set up the parcel permissions so that fans can't enter the performer space. You can even set up a group for VIP fans that allows them entry with a backstage pass. Although it's seldom done, it's even possible to charge for entry to the sim.

Oh, and for one-time events, LL rents out some sims at the south end of Sansara, north of Bellissaria, at L$4000 per day. But they're mountainous and need terraforming. I'm not sure how that works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.