Rigging in Blender 2.8 without Avastar

leilaangelica

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm trying to make some rigged clothes in Blender 2.8 without Avastar. I can upload the unrigged mesh, but when I rig the mesh, I get the  "Error: Material of model is not a subset of reference model" message.

I've tried uploading models with all of the other settings and have narrowed this down to the step where I parent the mesh to the skeleton.

I would be most appreciative if anyone could give me some advice on how to fix this.

Oh no! I thought Blender 2.8 might work well because it has an option to export to SL when exporting dae files.

I'm not sure the error is due to having high poly count or multiple textures. I'll describe the process for recreating this error:

1) I open the female avatar from the second life wiki in Blender (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh#Download_links)
2) Make any mesh, a cube will do.
3) Export to .dae with export selection only and export to SL (under the arm menu) ticked. These options are in the settings tab on the top right hand side of the export window. The mesh will upload at this point.
4) Parent the cube to the skeleton with ctrl + p
5) Export with the above settings. Now there is an error!

I've not done it as I use Avastar so I can avoid this sort of hassle, but this post about bind info in the previous version of Blender might be of use: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/428270-blender-279-collada-export-for-secondlife-failing/?tab=comments#comment-1799294

And the linked file here with the skeleton set up: https://blog.machinimatrix.org/fitted_mesh_survival_kit/

There's no guarantee that any of this works with Blender 2.8. It does things differently and there aren't many tutorials for it. Avastar also doesn't work well with it. So I went back to the previous version of Blender and I'm staying there until everything else updates to match.

1. How many materials is your mesh using?

2. Are you generating your own LODs or having SL make them? (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's the second.)

3. Do you have any vertices weighted to more than 4 bones? SL doesn't allow that. (On the one hand, this should NOT give you the error you're getting. On the other hand, it would explain why uploading as unrigged doesn't bomb out.)

I don't know if this is your issue or not, but I ran into this with the mesh uploader in Firestorm.

It was because I attempted to upload a mesh, and then changed the mesh to something else in the same dialog.

I had to close the mesh uploader dialog and re-open it to upload the updated mesh.

Hope this helps you, or somebody.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, HeatherD Tungsten said:

I don't know how to address the opening question, but for Kyrah Abattoir: You do not need Avastar to make good clothes.   I made my own female avatar, and then used that mesh as the sources from which to transfer weights, or depending on the clothing item, using the Solidify method to create a tight fitting clothing layer. Then chopping up the new layer into the the style I am after.   One comment from people using my avatar and clothes is how impressed they are that my clothes fit without having to resort to alpha

The question in the OP is not about fitting. It's about an error that prevents the mesh from being uploaded in the first place and the rigging issues are yet to be seen, IF any are to arise at some point.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:56 PM, leilaangelica said:

4) Parent the cube to the skeleton with ctrl + p

5) Export with the above settings. Now there is an error!

I tried this myself, using the "SL rigged" Collada export presets with no changes and LL's viewer. I'm making sure only the cube is selected before I export.

If I parent the box to the armature with no weighting, I get this error.

If I parent it with empty weight groups, I can upload without error but only as a static mesh (the "skin weights" option is grayed out).

If I parent it with auto-generated weighting, I can upload it just fine.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, HeatherD Tungsten said:

I don't know how to address the opening question, but for Kyrah Abattoir: You do not need Avastar to make good clothes.   I made my own female avatar, and then used that mesh as the sources from which to transfer weights, or depending on the clothing item, using the Solidify method to create a tight fitting clothing layer. Then chopping up the new layer into the the style I am after.   One comment from people using my avatar and clothes is how impressed they are that my clothes fit without having to resort to alpha.1.jpg?1547529452

You do if you intent on previewing volume bone deformation (fitmesh).

It obviously doesn't apply if your own avatar doesn't use them.

In addition, getting a perfect, or near perfect fit isn't hard if you are the original body creator anyway, since you have access to the complete reference.

Also solidify? come on. Give us some good old wireframe pictures there if you want to be judged.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.