Hello,

When a person pays rent for a parcel, regardless of the size..... That said "renter" has rental rights for the entire parcel, correct? From ground lvele up to 4000m they can install, build,  landscape whatever they want and the entire space is theirs due to their rental payment. Is this correct?

I am of the understanding that once rent is paid, the owner may keep a few prims on your land for the tier box or for their control of the parcel, which is undertandable. When a land owner, rents a parcel to a SL resident, and then places 800 Tier Boxes above their parcel... is this within the land owners right? Who can I contact and where are the land rules for renters in Sl please?

Thank you for the information..

Alaintha

There are no official rules for renters. The landlord specifies how the rental will work. It's up to potential renters to decide whether they want to rent from that landlord.

The situation you're describing is usually found in skybox rentals in which many skyboxes are spaced vertically. The renter is renting the skybox and has a prim/LI allowance to use within the skybox. Since all of the skyboxes share a parcel, the renter has little control over the land itself. The advantage to the renter is the rent is low.

I suggest looking around. There are all sorts of rentals around. Ones in which you have full control up to 4096 meters are more likely to be on private estates, but then you're subject to the covenants the region owner has set.

• Like 5

There are some mainland rentals where you rent the entire parcel space, including the air space.  Many rental agencies will have a notecard available that describes the rental terms and should also provide you some indication of what you can do with the parcel, for example, whether you can put up your own skybox or platform, whether you can turn on ban lines or change the parcel  music stream, etc.  Those types of permissions likely indicate that you control the space all the way up to the limit.  If they advertise you have full permissions on the parcel, then that should indicate you have control of the air space as well.   If you're not sure regarding a particular parcel, the best way is to just ask the landlord up front.  

Another thing that is often suggested is to just pay for 1 week at a time at first, so that if you find the rental isn't all that you thought it was, you can move out without a big loss of lindens - many landlords do not refund if you move out before your rental term expires.      

Hello world!
Hello Alaintha!

I offer for rent , Full Perm Private  parcels in SL mainland

and after I get a payment of what I am asking for the week, Im giving all my land powers ( abilities ) to the tenant and then I go away.

Since mainland has a governor already ( LL himself ) who had set NO RULES ( No Covenant ) more than the TOS ....

I am not going to BOTHER my self setting rules!

Why I would want to do that?
I am just a middle man who pays LL in bulk for to rent land and then to re-rent the land to others for a POTENTIAL small profit.. if there comes any!
Mainland under my eyes is a "FREE"  world.. and I am always laughing while saying that to my tenants:
Mainland could be named MAD MAX Land! :D
Love it since 2007 !

As for the size , unfortunately they didnt mention its details and so I can be specific.
But I will give an example of the footprint:
A parcel of 1024 meters square, has a footprint of 32 x 32 x 4.096 meters high!

Its a virtual CUBE...
The user can build wherever they want since there is Nobody stopping them with a covenant..
That can be a good thing but also can be bad...
Same as tech...Some people using it for good purposes and some for bad...
Thats why LL has its Mainalnd but also has its PRIVATE REGIONS where I believe the OP had rent and I am afraid, all I am saying about Mainalnd will be useless for them..
People who live in regions DONT want to go to mainland beccause they LOVE the rules who are protecting them from those MAD maxes who build UGLY things all around!
The majority of SL tenants prefare the Rrivate Regions instead of Mainland , even if its more expensive most of the times,
exactly because of the RULES the governors are providing into them Covenant to make sure their tenants will have a PLEASANT STAY

And I believe there was a missunderstanding with the 800 boxes and they will be friends again and all will be good :)

And yes, as people before myself answer to this post, a lot of rentals are just a "skybox" rental which is exactly as it sounds.
A box in the sky. And usually there are NO abilities given...

Feel free to browse my posts to see where I describe one by one ALL the abilities SL provides and I am giving to the tenants , so you can have an idea as about land abilities in general!
Also here is a SL page where I Am always giving to my tenants for to learn how to USE the land!

Wishes for a BETTER SECOND LIFE

and for our REAL of course!

STAY SAFE and GROW more secondlife.com

On 5/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, Parhelion Palou said:

There are no official rules for renters. The landlord specifies how the rental will work. It's up to potential renters to decide whether they want to rent from that landlord.

The situation you're describing is usually found in skybox rentals in which many skyboxes are spaced vertically. The renter is renting the skybox and has a prim/LI allowance to use within the skybox. Since all of the skyboxes share a parcel, the renter has little control over the land itself. The advantage to the renter is the rent is low.

I suggest looking around. There are all sorts of rentals around. Ones in which you have full control up to 4096 meters are more likely to be on private estates, but then you're subject to the covenants the region owner has set.

Thank you. I do understand skyboxes. The issue with this parcel is as follows:

The parcel was rented, rent paid, the renters moved in at ground level with their house, patio, landscaping, ponds, some fish,  a few butterflies and static animals for decoration and everything was within their prim allowance. Within weeks, the land owner informed the tenant they had to remove the fish in the ponds and the animated butterflies as they were causing "Collsions" with the tier boxes that were above the parcel. The tenants were concerned about why they were experiencing such an amount of lag, when they checked the scripts that were on their parcel but came to find out that these 800+ tier boxes were overhead.

I went to help my friend and found that there are indeed a platform of tier boxes at around 784m above the parcel area. They would like to know, is this within the TOS of LL rentals? Since having paid rent and expecting their "Home" to be relatively low lag so they could play their card games on the patio... yet finding out not only can they not play their games but need to remove the fish and butterlies as told to them by the Land Owner, they became upset and began searching for information about what they are entitled to when paying rent for the entire parcel.

That is where I began checking myself as I've never come across anything like this. I read the covenant for the parcel, nothing appeared strange, it read like many land parcels I have rented in my past. I've been trying to find a page about the LL TOS and have come across so many pages about "Managing Your Parcel" but none pertaining to the renter and about a land owner putting a platform in with so many tier boxes... All I could say was wow.. WOW!

SO my question remains, is this practice normal for a land owner? IS it fair to the renter? Wanting to put down a home, landscape it and set up a few games to play with friends seems fairly average to me for those who enjoy SL and friends coming over for a game or two... Or is it I am wrong about being the only person/couple that can put objects on and/or near the parcel to cause such lag or this "Collision"..

I thank you for your responses.. all of you! Yet, I am still wondering if this is legal for the land owner to do this to a renter?

Thank you ♥

Alaintha

There are no renter's rights other than what is provided in the covenant in "About Land" if it's an estate rental, or provided by the land agent on a notecard (which sometimes the renter needs to be diligent about checking in the land office or the options on the parcel rental box to see if there is a rental terms notecard that they should be requesting.  There is no  overriding "TOS of LL Rentals" - just the general LL TOS which doesn't cover the rental situation (or any other type of resident-to-resident transactions) specifically and in detail.

In terms of scripts, one parcel's script usage - if excessive - can impact the scripts of all the parcels on the region, not just the one parcel.  Often times there will be something in the individual rental covenant or terms that discusses not allowing high-script usage items, or about a parcel not being excessive in it's use of region-wide resources (which script time is), or otherwise causing issues that affect the other tenants in the region (not just the one tenant's parcel).   

Normally I would expect that the tier boxes for the region (or for all of the landlords regions, depending on how they want to set them up) to be in a parcel that is not part of a tenant's parcel - many time there will be a small parcel blocked out from the tenants parcels for the rental boxes.  Sometimes that's a platform up above, so that it doesn't  affect the tenants views, sometimes it's in a another region - just depends on the preferences of the landlord.     

1 hour ago, Alaintha Loring said:

I thank you for your responses.. all of you! Yet, I am still wondering if this is legal for the land owner to do this to a renter?

There's no rule that states what landlords have to offer renters. Landlords can do what they want, and set whatever rules they want, as long as they're not breaking the other rules (like harassment rules or the like). They tell you that you can't place blue items and everything must be rotated to 33 degrees exactly... they can do that.

Whether it's fair is another issue. The situation described doesn't sound fair. The script resources are being used by the landlord and then they turned around and blamed a few butterflies at ground level. Nope. Get out of there and find a better rental. Technically allowed by the rules doesn't mean you have to put up with it.

In short, no rules have been broken here and you can't report this, but you can leave and stop giving them money.

Yes, very true. It is hard to believe though that LL runs on that basis. I find it only fair to share the knowlege of the practices that Land Owner uses so other SL clients aren't taken in... It gives SL a bad name to say the least.

I did suggest they move and research the Property Owner before paying rent in the future and offered our home in the meantime while they search.

Thanks again all for your opinions knowledge and experience with this issue!

HUGS! Alaintha

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Alaintha Loring said:

It is hard to believe though that LL runs on that basis

Land is not rented from LL - you rent it from someone else. That person can basically do what they like including evicting you and keeping whatever rental you have paid just because they did not like your hairstyle. Renting should and indeed is a safe option in the vast majority of cases. However there are some landlords who value their income over anything else - including being fair to their renters.

If you want total peace of mind then you have only a few options - rent an entire sim (expensive) or go premium and have your own land which you have total and absolute control over. Subject to basic and clearly listed limitations in the land covenant in the case of Linden Homes.

Edited by Jet Dallas

Thank you Jet. Yes, having owned several sims prior to this crisis we all find ourselves involved with, I would prefer a sim myself. My friends are now looking into their options as I have given them several threads to read about renting. I appreciate your imput and information.

Thanks you,  Alaintha

3 hours ago, Alaintha Loring said:

My friends are now looking into their options

Good. There are good landlords out there, but matching the landlord's practices with the tenant's expectations isn't easy. Maybe your friends were paying so little rent as to justify this seemingly crazy arrangement. Anyway, it's clearly not what they wanted, this landlord doesn't seem to offer what they want, so yeah: time to move, one hopes to a more suitable situation.

All that said, the "collisions" thing ("the fish in the ponds and the animated butterflies")  could be real, and if so, it probably has nothing to do with scripts, but rather built-in physics. It's weird that these things should be colliding with "tier boxes" way up at skybox altitude, but it's not that improbable that they might be physical objects colliding with something -- and if so, those really should be replaced by something less laggy. (The physics engine is pretty efficient at such things but it runs at maximum priority so the rest of the region can really suffer if there are too many collisions going on.)

That is not common practice at all, however it is up to the renter to read their covenant and make certain they are receiving exactly the rights they want. Though the vast majority of land rentals will sell a parcel and give full land rights, there are always some rules laid out per estate. Some require the home be in theme with the rest of the land, some decorate and ask that their prims not be returned, etc. So the best thing to do is read the Cov and usually the NC provided before purchasing the plot. It's too bad what your friends went through, but there is no course of action against it. A little bit of research before buying though, will go a long way next time, Good Luck!