What do you think about villains in American media having British accents?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

Yes mate, that's factually correct, well done. However, while they now have to understand that there's English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh accents, you're going to have to learn all 50 of theirs! No such thing as an "American accent"...right?

Actually no because while the constituent countries that make up Britain (of course Ireland is not one of them), each of them has its own language, not just accent.

Thus to suggest that there's a British accent while describing that as one recognised as quintessentially well spoken English, is not only somewhat disrespectful of those inhabitants of those countries but also demonstrating a lack of either education or awareness but that's another subject.

But it's ok, I can just refer to this American accents of the Canadian Mounties or the American accents of the Mexicans or is it the Mexican accent of the Americans?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I heard that his accent coach was actually Irish? Don't know if it's true. He seems to have invented his own accent in that role, much like Jane Leeves in Frasier. I had to wait until I caught an episode in which they explicitly stated that Daphne was Mancunian because I sure as hell couldn't work out where the frig she was supposed to be from. I guessed northern because of the short vowels but apart from that...

Except Daphne's accent wasn't Manchester either, it was mostly Oldham/Rochdale.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bradford Mint said:

But it's ok, I can just refer to this American accents of the Canadian Mounties or the American accents of the Mexicans or is it the Mexican accent of the Americans?

It's only relevent if they can be termed "Yank's" unfortunately!

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

My accent is posh Yorkshire. Don't laugh. Not exactly Joanna Lumley, but I can do that if you want me to. 

Dammit woman, these were clean boxer's ffs!  🥴

3 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I have never seen that word in an SL forum before..... 
thank you

lol.gif.62f07b6764392a836c9ef902a8bb025e.gif

You're welcome lol. Follow me, you'll see it a lot! (no other Brit's or Aussie's use it here? Odd).  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

My accent is posh Yorkshire. 

Thats an oxymoron. There's no such thing. 😜

But in my head it would go a little something like: "Ey up, feed t' cavier to t' whippet and make fancy brew in me gold-plated mug" 💰

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

Thats an oxymoron. There's no such thing. 😜

But in my head it would go a little something like: "Ey up, feed t' cavier to t' whippet and make fancy brew in me gold-plated mug" 💰

The thing is, posh Yorkshire doesn't really sound very Yorkshire at all.

And those from the South always think I'm Lancashire, which is funny, and offensive at the same time.

"Mate" is a blokey word which is used constantly around these parts. It goes along with not hugging....well nobody hugs now.....and that blokey nod they give to each other across a bar.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

any time I see a picture of George Washington, I can't help but picture that Dodge commercial..

He'd have had more protection on that horse than in that plastic carton on wheels!  😂

• Haha 1

I liked that Robin Hood film with Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett a few years back. It wasn't particularly good but it was the first time I'd ever seen Robin Hood with a Midlands accent (or close to it). He'd always been American or an upper class public schoolboy before. 

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I liked that Robin Hood film with Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett a few years back. It wasn't particularly good but it was the first time I'd ever seen Robin Hood with a Midlands accent (or close to it). He'd always been American or an upper class public schoolboy before. 

I cannot resist.

• Like 1

My favourite Yorkshire accent joke (South Yorkshire, specifically):

Man goes into the vets, and says,  

-- Eh, doctor, can tha' tek a look at me cat?

--Aye.  Is it a tom?

--Nay.  In't box.

(I think you may have to be from within 50 miles of Sheffield to get it without having to think about it)

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Man goes into the vets, and says,  

-- Eh, doctor, can tha' tek a look at me cat?

--Aye.  Is it a tom?

--Nay.  In't box.

"Is it at home"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I like the sound of many accents and dialects, I cannot understand them very well. 
I had a friend from London. Got a bit awkward when he tried to explain Dota to me and I uderstood not even a siiiiingle word. I still feel terrible about it, heh.
Years ago, tho, and since then I spoke and listen to a few english peaking folks, it got a little better. :D

On 5/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

George Sanders had the most wonderful voice!

But for my money, the absolute best British accent in movies goes to Joan Greenwood. Here's a clip of her from the 1952 movie version of The Importance of Being Earnest (she's the affronted one in pink). I'd almost literally give my right hand to have a voice (and accent) like Greenwood's.

Thank you for sharing this, Scylla. I saw the clip and had to watch the movie and I loved it. Joan Greenwood, that voice...love it. And then Edith Evans and my dear Margaret Rutherford, best Miss Marple ever, here as Miss Prism. Very fun!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

While I like the sound of many accents and dialects, I cannot understand them very well. 

Friends and I speak "normally" in real life.... for about 5 minutes.
Then, as soon as someone makes the first joke, we automatically slip into substituting similar words that have multiple meanings
and despite causing us endless laughter, the conversation is unable to be followed by anyone who isn't used to this sort of thing.

Of course, it's the same for any close knit group of "locals" anywhere. :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.