Turning off AO.

Bernmarie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why do I have to shut my AO off when I sit on an animation.  I never had to before.  Also I seem to end up on top of the furniture when I stand up.  I have also been landing on top of objects when I get a tp from someone and when I select an object my arm points to it even if its behind me my arm will bend backwards.  None of these things used to happen before but at some point earlier this year it started happening and somehow I fixed it.  I thought I fixed it by right clicking my AV  --appearance --reset animations & LOD .  But then it started happening again and I can't fix it. 

Edited by Bernmarie

4 answers to this question

It all depends on the priority of the animation in the seat, compared to the priority of the current animation in your AO.  If you have a high-priority anim in your AO, it will keep overriding the one in the seat unless you turn it off.  Sometimes a well-formatted AO can recognize when you have sat on something and will cede priority to the script in the seat.  The built-in AO in the Firestorm viewer can do that, for example.

As for ending up on top of furniture when you stand, that's a function of the way the furniture (and its script) are designed.  If there's not enough room for your avatar to dismount gracefully, the system may have no choice but to choose the closest unoccupied space ... on top of where you were seated.  When I am scripting furniture that puts avatars in tight spaces when they sit, I will sometimes add a little bit of code to make a seat become phantom for a few seconds when a person stands.  That way, she'll end up standing in the furniture instead of on it, giving her a somewhat more graceful way to exit.  A more complicated solution might be to either push or teleport the avatar to one side.  Or, as I did with a library chair once, a scripter might move the seat backward a bit to give the avatar a chance to walk away.  None of those is a common solution, and none is as nice as you or I would do in RL, but furniture and open space in SL don't always give us easy choices.

Every animation has a "priority", from 1 to 5.  The priority is set by the animation's creator, when it's uploaded.  If your AO's animations have a higher priority than the animations in a poseball or some furniture, it will override the furniture animation.  If you want to experience the furniture's animation, you have to turn off your AO.

Some AO's have a "smart" feature that tries to figure this out for you without your having to manually switch things, but not all do, and even the "smart" ones sometimes get it wrong.

I have also been landing on top of objects when I get a tp from someone and when I select an object my arm points to it even if its behind me my arm will bend backwards.  None of these things used to happen before but at some point earlier this year it started happening and somehow I fixed it.  I thought I fixed it by right clicking my AV  --appearance --reset animations & LOD .  But then it started happening again and I can't fix it.  

You have no control whatsoever over what you might land on.  Just be prepared to step aside as necessary.

In Firestorm, you can set your Preferences to turn off the selection beam when you edit something. Look for the Firestorm tab and the sub-tab for Avatar.  Then use the obvious spots to turn the beam off.  If you are using the Linden Lab viewer, use the debug setting ShowSlectionBeam and set it to FALSE.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.