HELP: How to control and collect info from remote game objects?

Restless Swords

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a functioning game:

- with objects spread around that users interact with

- various options, controlled from a starting scoreboard, sent to the objects

- objects send results back to the scoreboard

The problem is that today they "llShout" on 2 channels back and forth

- so, how to best make it work beyond shout distance? (possible over 1 or 2 full SIMs)

a) use several communication channel "relays" to forward the commands/results

b) force uses to wear some special object to collect results (does not handle sending commands to objects)

c) use EMail (probably controller and objects need both senders and receivers?)

d) dome kind of in-world web-server? (but would this work for 2 or 3 SIMs) ?

e) SOMETHING BETTER ???

I am sure the #d, "something better" exists but I don't know what. Any suggestions ???

llRegionSay (broadcast), or even better (but slightly more complicated) llRegionSayTo (if you can target receivers) will cover messages for an entire region.

you can use a repeater settup to pipe it accross region borders by placing a prim that listens to the region messages, changes the channel and whispers it across the border to another prim that will change the channel back and rebroadcast it.

lsl HTTP servers are another method, but will always require targeting, and be a bit more complex to set up. if you need broadcast type messages (can't rely on knowing the key/address of the target) then llRegionSay with a chat bridge as noted above will probably be your best option.

using lsl HTTP you could build just the bridge portion to allow yourself to connect remote regions though, or even adjacent ones, without the need to place prims near the border.

please not that lsl HTTP communications will need some sort of back up method to detect address changes, as they lose their current address ever time they change regions, or the region restarts... email is one solution, external DNS style services are another.

yes, i believe you have nailed the solution.  The cleanest and without the hassles of http etc:

- scoreboard regionSay command to game objects, objects regionSay results to scoreboard

- a RegionSay listener per region whispering to adjacent regionSay repeater (easily extendable)

After much thought about each of the other approaches, this seems much simplier and more reliable.

THANKS for your comments.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.