Graphic Settings and Other Issues

Inana Amat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello.  During FF, I lowered my graphic resolution to avoid lag and keep from getting logged off.  Recently, I went to reset the graphic settings.  I hit the button that says reset to recommended settings.  Being a total noob at a lot of this stuff, I realize now that probably was not the best thing to do. Now, when I am in rear view, the visual perspective is completely off and I am staring at the ground and can barely see the top of my head.  Front view perspective is at my crotch, (seriously) and side view is not much better.  Also, when I am in mouse control, the perspective and distance is out of control.  Due to the recommended settings, graphics now look cartoonish.  First pic is front view, Middle pic is graphic resolution pic, Last pic is Rear view.  Hopefully someone out there can help me figure this out before submitting another help ticket. :)  I did also recently edit my avatar but this has never happened before when I have done that.... I am on a Mac and my OS is Mojave. Regular viewer.... Second Life version 6.4.1.540593 (6.4.1.540593). 

d3f52f9ceb67d439a90ccb9f82bffb9b.jpg3a32a45fdf55b920cfdc8d91361ba10e.jpgc590f3542260720c59019942231b24ee.jpg

7 answers to this question

Normally, you can recover your default camera position by hitting the ESC key a few times (or sometimes Shift + ESC ) but if you have actually messed up you default position somehow you can correct it with debug settings in your Advanced menu (CTRL + Alt + D, if the Advanced menu is not already showing in your viewer).  Look for CameraOffsetRearView.  Normally, I recommend being careful about changing debug settings unless you know what they do, but in this case you can adjust that setting quite safely.  As you do, you can see the effects as you change it, and you can go back and readjust it until it looks right to you.

• Like 2

When I hit escape, nothing changes. I believe I found the settings you mentioned but they seem to be at their original position.  I hesitate to move any numbers around.... I will try and submit a ticket before I play with the numbers.  It just means, I can't really do anything successfully right now in SL. Thank you for your reply.  Also, I have a Mac keyboard so what would be the keyboard equivalent to the ALT button? I tried option and command buttons but nothing happened. I did finally find these options under preferences - > joystick configurations. Thank you for your reply.

52c9e6b3c89fd4965dff791103470294.jpg

The Windows Alt-Key is the Options-Key on Mac. Check this Torley video: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Torley_Linden/Debug_Settings

The Joystick settings are for the Joystick... they aren't going to help with your camera position.

To understand what the settings do see: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/07/24/second-life-camera-position-tips/

On the new SL Viewer you can adjust the Debug Settings, sort of, by using the the new camera presets. See http://blog.nalates.net/2020/05/12/second-life-what-improved-camera-controls/

• Like 1

Thank you Natales! That was helpful. However it still didn't entirely solve the problem. Even though I have a better rear view setting now, It will not allow me to change the side view.  The option doesn't even come up even after several tries.  The view is still off considerably even with lots of different tries.  I will keep trying to see if I get a more comfortable view but I feel there is something still really off that is throwing off all the camera settings.  The rear view is better but still not great and hard to see close objects and where I am going.  Resetting to default does nothing. Thank you again and if you have any other suggestions, I would be most grateful. 

0617335796c282c1bc7e6ee4ab217314.jpgd55a506c0ab11efaa7b5d19a8b6c14a9.png

Thank you again.

To update this thread a bit, the CameraAngle in the debug section seems to be making a huge difference as well as FocusOffsetSideView.  Still playing with it to solve the issue. Really no idea what I did for it to get this way... that is the real mystery. :)

@Inana Amat Something is not right. Your capture of the Debug side-view setting is not right. I'm not a Mac person. So, ask your question again in the Answers section of the forum. There will be some Mac people that can help. Include a link to this thread so you don't have to repeat the whole process.

You should be able to click Reset on these settings and get back to the default camera position. You also should be able to press escape and/or shift-ESC and restore your camera default position. So, I think something is broken.

Because the side-view Debug is not right, I would try downloading and re-installing over the top of the current install. If that doesn't fix it, then try renaming your setting file and see if that corrects it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.