WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

GemmaStone9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Also, if it happens while using "add", scroll down to where it says "attach to" and put that item/body part etc on another, less used point. Many things use "right hand" as the default attachment point, so if your hair or head etc suddenly vanish when you add a bracelet....check where each item attaches.

Mind that if putting one on removes the other, it probably means that both are by default added to the same attachment point - usually your right hand. Look at them in your inventory to see what their attachment point is, and chance it to something more suitable (such as spine and pelvis). If you wear too many attachments to a single point by using the 'add' option, you may eventually run into further issues.

Rigged mesh doesn't need to be attached to their specific point, but unrigged mesh (say, a hat) should be attached to whichever body part they're connected to - if you wear a hat on your eyes rather than your skull or head, it's going to move along with your eye movements. Which may look fun, and slightly disturbing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Mind that if putting one on removes the other, it probably means that both are by default added to the same attachment point - usually your right hand. Look at them in your inventory to see what their attachment point is, and chance it to something more suitable (such as spine and pelvis). If you wear too many attachments to a single point by using the 'add' option, you may eventually run into further issues.

Rigged mesh doesn't need to be attached to their specific point, but unrigged mesh (say, a hat) should be attached to whichever body part they're connected to - if you wear a hat on your eyes rather than your skull or head, it's going to move along with your eye movements. Which may look fun, and slightly disturbing.

i so wanna have a hat on my eyes now.

Wanted to just say, I had some mesh thing... can't remember now if body or something else...  When I attached the mesh to somewhere other than right hand, the root prim - which was unfortunately not transparent, was floating around outside my body. Took me a while to work out what it was that appeared to follow me around!

Emma :)

8 minutes ago, GemmaStone9 said:

I am still very unsure about what is ‘rigged’ and ‘non-rigged.

Rigged mesh is mesh that has been made to fit onto your avatar's skeleton and follow its movements. Unrigged mesh will just attach and follow the XYZ rotation of whatever attachment point of the skeleton that it's attached to.

As a rule of thumb, most apparel (or accessories) that cross a joint of your skeleton (such as a shirt, dress or trousers) will be rigged, whilst an accessory that is static (such as a watch or hat) won't be rigged, although there are rigged hats, watches, shoes and so as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some unrigged apparel that simply "won't work" out there.

Another term is 'fitted mesh', this is mesh that will resize to accommodate your avatar's shape. Anything that has a brand logo for a mesh body, such as Maitreya, Legacy (ew), Slink or Belleza should be rigged - but always demo a product before you decide whether to buy it to make sure that it is functional and to your liking.

14 minutes ago, GemmaStone9 said:

Thanks Orwar. I am still very unsure about what is ‘rigged’ and ‘non-rigged.

"Rigged" means that item cannot be modified/adjusted/altered to fit etc. "un-rigged...means it can be!

13 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

Took me a while to work out what it was that appeared to follow me around!

I had that problem too....took me 3 days to finally realise it was the white ball indicating that voice chat was available!  FML  🙄

Edit: ok...ignore that first part!  😵

Edited by Dano Seale
A ***** up!
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GemmaStone9 said:

Orwar - I am learning so much today!

On the forums, you can 'at' someone to grab their attention, too - like this: @Orwar - that way the person you address will be notified of your post! 

1 minute ago, GemmaStone9 said:

@orwar .... test

Heh, when you write the @ and begin to put in some letters, a drop-down menu appears; you'll have to click the name of the person you wish to 'ping' for it to work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.