Limited Availability of New Second Life Regions

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if people who want private estates were interested in mainland there would't be a lot left.. but also as long it's to limited to own mainland regions, you can hardly do anything else than what a tiny parcel owner can... it won't get more interesting either.

Suddenly I want to speculate what a "full region Bellisseria" offering might be like as a benefit for the Premium Plus subscription. In another thread there was discussion of what a Premium Plus Homestead offer might be like, where the Homestead was same as Estate Homesteads: just an unshaped blob of disjoint region that the owner can terraform and terrain texture at will. There's certainly demand for it, but we decided much of that demand is already met by Estates renting out Homesteads (at least when the Lab has an unlimited supply of regions to sate a market mediated by competing Estates).

Just to get it out of the way: If the current Premium subscription with its current benefits is VAT-exempt, is it safe to assume that a Premium Plus subscription with more benefits would also be exempt from VAT -- even benefits that absorbed the full monthly cost of a region? I'm kind of assuming so, and that therefore such an offer would let the Lab get in on the action that Estates enjoy now, serving EU customers avoiding VAT. They wouldn't be the only target market, certainly, but it seems they're a market on which the Lab is currently losing margin to Estates.

Back to the hypothetical "full region Bellisseria" offering (either Homestead or normal):

• Probably can't help solve the abandoned desolate Mainland problem because there just aren't enough 100% abandoned regions for this to scale as a successful product. 
  • Could they fill the space whenever an old Linden Homes region empties out completely? Doesn't seem very attractive, and even fewer of them to start, but now I wonder how they will handle those spaces. 
  • What would the full region owner get to do that they couldn't on a regular, full region Mainland parcel? At the bare minimum, they should be able to set blacklist Estate bans. And get to see Top Scripts and Top Colliders (although, honestly, every Mainland parcel owner should get to see that for the entire region).
  • Assuming this is to have the Bellisseria advantages of a contiguous continent with easy vehicular travel, some restrictions would not be available for the owner to exercise. No whitelist access control, for example. Presumably no terrain textures, no RAW file upload. Teraforming? maybe ±4m as most Mainland?
  • Surely no point offering Mole builds as on the little Belli parcels, but maybe transportation corridors would need to be carved from the full sim area and landscaped by LDPW, protected as Estate content. Maybe a region object bonus factor results.
  • Parcel resale seems problematic, although may as well allow parcel subdivide/join and rental because "under the table" rentals would happen anyway.
  • Of course there couldn't be full region resale either. The offer is a Premium Plus benefit, so you don't pay for the region itself, just the subscription. (Again kinda assuming this matters for VAT exemption.)

It's a lot different from an Estate region rental. Can't tell if there could be a viable product hidden somewhere around this speculation, or not.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Heidi Oddenfen said:

Could we get an update on this? We have not had news on land since July and last date mentioned was that we could expect land available again in early Fall of 2020. 

If LL ever mentioned early Fall 2020, then my guess is that it was a very, very rough estimate with lots of caveats around it - because LL is usually very good at never give solid dates for things. 

Most of us here in the forums have been expecting more like a winter time frame.

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If LL ever mentioned early Fall 2020, then my guess is that it was a very, very rough estimate with lots of caveats around it - because LL is usually very good at never give solid dates for things. 

Most of us here in the forums have been expecting more like a winter time frame.

The move to AWS has already started.

enteringthecloud.jpg.311564fe7a0299550cccd8edcdf40217.jpg

Now entering The Cloud. Crossing from Hippo Hollow, hosted in the old data center, to Hippotropolis, hosted on Amazon AWS. Works fine. Viewer "Help" gives this info:

You are at 30.9, 148.6, 28.9 in Hippotropolis
located at ec2-35-163-246-234.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com (35.163.246.234:13020)

Hippotropolis is a Linden-operated sim for showing off advances in Second Life technology, so it's appropriate that it's one of the first to make it to AWS.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 8:47 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Thank you for the reply! I was hoping they may have mentioned a date by now and that maybe I missed it somewhere. 

This is the thread I pulled the date from - 

the quote:

"WHEN WILL REGIONS BE AVAILABLE AGAIN?

Regions may be intermittently available as existing regions are returned to us by their current owners. Due to the economic impact of the public health crisis, we do expect that some limited number of landholdings will be returned to the general inventory in the coming weeks. This means that there may be some regions available on-and-off, but it is more likely that normal region sales will not resume until our migration to the cloud is complete. While we do not have an exact date at this time, we anticipate it will be early fall.  "

I did expect some delays but am hoping we hear something soon! *fingies crossed*

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Rhys Hexem said:

I've had a request in for a new region since the 24th of December 2020. Was told that the request will be placed into a queue to be delivered when capacity is available.

Update on this, my region was delivered today.

Edited by Rhys Hexem
  • Like 5

Has there been any update anywhere in any in world meeting groups or anything about just how long the land store outage is going to last. I know we can still buy regions via tickets but just curious how much longer there is going to be an issue with the land store.  Will have been a month shortly since it closed again.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Maiyo Ling said:

The migration of Second Life to the cloud is now complete!

So when will The Land Store be opened again?

I am sure I'm not the only resident looking to buy a new region 😉🙂

you have to send a ticket, the landstore been open, but new problems were found
No you'r not the only resident wanting a region, but you'l have to do what is told/announced in several posts.

14 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you have to send a ticket, the landstore been open, but new problems were found
No you'r not the only resident wanting a region, but you'l have to do what is told/announced in several posts.

Problems are an understatement. Neither me or my other friends who own sims have ever known sims to be as buggy as they are at the minute. We are having restart them a couple times a day, after restart we get good performance which slowly degrades and degrades. Everything seems to take longer to load since cloud migration, script performance seems to be affected etc etc.

37 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Problems are an understatement. Neither me or my other friends who own sims have ever known sims to be as buggy as they are at the minute. We are having restart them a couple times a day, after restart we get good performance which slowly degrades and degrades. Everything seems to take longer to load since cloud migration, script performance seems to be affected etc etc.

i know ( have a region too) ..but thats not the subject :) there are for sure a lot of things to fix, but seeing that they basicly stopped posing here, hardly moderate and more.. i think all got a screwdriver and were send in the cloud to tighten some bolts.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.