Limited Availability of New Second Life Regions

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Hmm. Can the region object bonus factor be set below 1.0? But I guess that would leave you paying for the extra land impact with no way to use it anywhere on the regio, so that probably wouldn't work out anyway.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if you really needed an Estate region for your community project. There are good reasons you might, but if not, there are full Mainland regions for sale, too.

I had mainland and all my soil plots went wonky and broke. The scripts were too much for Mainland. I wish it were that easy. 

Also, I don't know if the estate can be adjusted or not because the way people sell they always seem to include if its a 30 or 20. I would think that wouldn't be a factor in advertising if it were easily adjusted. Also, yes I wouldnt love paying more haha! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Perhaps if you made rules about how many prims allowed on the ground you could get around the 30k prim issue? (is that really an issue?) Then dont allow renters to build above say 1,500m, then you can create something different up around 2500+ so people wont load things from either when entering those different zones. Or simply just limit the prims allowance to reflect what you think will perform best at ground level.

Im not sure of your situation, but the 30k prims allowance comes with more server resources, it shouldn't really drag any extra, its more about what are people putting down, texture density/reuse can help a lot, especially in a themed place, a lot of decor/nature things may be using the same textures/mesh anyhow, being sure LOD is proper on things, and mesh density isnt overboard are important too.

Oh its all my stuff, no renters at all. I had some issue on a 30k prim sim too though. It is only when I went to a 20 that things are running very smoothly.

Just now, Ginger Fellini said:

Oh its all my stuff, no renters at all. I had some issue on a 30k prim sim too though. It is only when I went to a 20 that things are running very smoothly.

Oh ok, thats the first time ive heard of that, though i've not gotten the chance to do it myself yet and see. I almost bought a server last year, but the person disappeared in the middle of the transaction, so we didn't close, which is probably for the best anyway, considering how tumultuous life has been for me since then lol.

I would inspect the assets you're using and hunt for things that cause lag, you may find its a handful of specific things causing the majority of issues, either because of texture abuse, way too many triangles in the main mesh, and even in the LOD's, or all of the above on a single item, which tends to happen. You might find you can create a lot more headroom to breath by swapping them out for more optimized things.  There's a lot of other performance tips on the forums as well that may be of help.  Good luck on your sim hunt!

44 minutes ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Oh ok, thats the first time ive heard of that, though i've not gotten the chance to do it myself yet and see. I almost bought a server last year, but the person disappeared in the middle of the transaction, so we didn't close, which is probably for the best anyway, considering how tumultuous life has been for me since then lol.

I would inspect the assets you're using and hunt for things that cause lag, you may find its a handful of specific things causing the majority of issues, either because of texture abuse, way too many triangles in the main mesh, and even in the LOD's, or all of the above on a single item, which tends to happen. You might find you can create a lot more headroom to breath by swapping them out for more optimized things.  There's a lot of other performance tips on the forums as well that may be of help.  Good luck on your sim hunt!

So I have my whole sim centered around the BeYou game. Its a game that has farming plots, we plant seeds, grow plants, harvest. etc. Theres no mod and its impossible to change anything about it. I also use workbenches and blacksmith forges, sawmills, grain mills, composters, beehives, saw horse, wood chopping, grow wood trees for chopping assets, etc. Thats just the stuff I use to make my goods. On the ground floor I have all different themed restaurants. Im a chef in the game and my cooked foods give really good stats for the players who eat it in my restaurants. Its quite involved. The ground floor is a tropical sim with a lot of terraforming, and very little scripted things aside from the water and a couple waterfalls. There are some temp script items for bumper boats and a ferris wheel that doesn't run unless someone starts it. I am hoping to set up my arcade on the beach also which would be temp scripts. Its a small community of only a few thousand people right now, so my traffic isnt going to be nuts. I do it mainly just because I enjoy it. The unfortunate thing is that much of the items are scripts where nothing can be adjusted or changed at all. So I do have to be careful when I go shopping at grocery stores and come home to rez the items I buy not to rez super fast, or you can lose things. Moving from a 30 to a 20k sim has been a massive help and all my plots are going great now. I am not sure technically why its all so sensitive. I just know I am powerless against it! LOLS 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

depends where you are ( rl) or if you have a rl registered business .. otherwise renting might be at least 20% cheaper than owning when the VAT hits in.

Well if the one I pay for inworld is 16299 a week, and the weekly cost of owning a sim is in the 10k range weekly then how would the VAT end up costing more? I would love to understand so I make the best decision. I do not have it as a RL business but may in the future  - but what would that look like? Is there a blog or info post that explains it?

27 minutes ago, Ginger Fellini said:

Well if the one I pay for inworld is 16299 a week, and the weekly cost of owning a sim is in the 10k range weekly then how would the VAT end up costing more? I would love to understand so I make the best decision. I do not have it as a RL business but may in the future  - but what would that look like? Is there a blog or info post that explains it?

many landlords rent regions out with only a marginally profit. When you buy one, and are in a VAT inning country you pay 20% more than the USA resident gets billed by LL, ad to that the high cost Tillia uses for currency exchanges and that has also be added.
Dont calculate owning a region in L$, thats no hard value/exchange rate, and LL will bill the costs always in USD.
now you pay around 282 USD a month 20K region i assume, no upfront cost for buying it, when you own with VAT, the montly cost will be around 274 a month, bút with upfront cost of 349 USD set up(includes first month fees) nett a nearly75 USD additional cost, it will take a few YEARS to get cheaper than renting.
Even with buying from a resident you'll have a initial purchase price ( and in that case not a first month fees included)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the high cost Tillia uses for currency exchanges and that has also be added.

Is there a reason to use Tilia for the currency exchange? Probably we're spoiled here in Canada where everybody has both a Loonie and a US$ account with (relatively) reasonable exchange rates from the banks, but is it that unusual to have a US$ account in other countries? or some reason not to open a US$ account in a US bank, and use their foreign exchange desk?

Maybe not worth it for paying rent/tier on a single region, but surely the large businesses cash-out in US$ without using Tilia for currency exchange, if its rates aren't competitive.

(I was expecting that non-US folks would be feeling smug now -- aside VAT, that is -- given that the US$ has tanked so badly in the past month or so. Even the Loonie has recovered vs the US$, and the € is near a two year high.)

46 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

many landlords rent regions out with only a marginally profit. When you buy one, and are in a VAT inning country you pay 20% more than the USA resident gets billed by LL, ad to that the high cost Tillia uses for currency exchanges and that has also be added.
Dont calculate owning a region in L$, thats no hard value/exchange rate, and LL will bill the costs always in USD.
now you pay around 282 USD a month 20K region i assume, no upfront cost for buying it, when you own with VAT, the montly cost will be around 274 a month, bút with upfront cost of 349 USD set up(includes first month fees) nett a nearly75 USD additional cost, it will take a few YEARS to get cheaper than renting.
Even with buying from a resident you'll have a initial purchase price ( and in that case not a first month fees included)

So Im in the US, and what does that mean? I dont pay that extra amount?

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Is there a reason to use Tilia for the currency exchange?

seems to happen automaticly since some time, there have been a few posts about that already.
I can't get rid of the thought they finance Tillia at cost of their users.
Including the 1.49 transaction fee, there is a more than 10% cost to buy now.

here my buy from a minute ago

19ea8c4a4ea89989488ebb4c3bcf440e.png

and the current EUR/USD exchange

5a0842996579c4a8d255f237fcb65af9.png

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

they do that automaticly 

Oh, thanks, now I think I understand. FinCen requires them to know where the SL account holder resides in real life, so it's impossible to just pass it all through a US$ bank account. That would skirt VAT, too, until the actual cross-border money transfers, so yeah, I guess that shouldn't be possible.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:59 PM, Parhelion Palou said:

There hasn't been a large growth in region demand up until recently, so this is likely due to newbies and returning oldbies. I wonder why so many of them want to buy full regions. Are they hoping to make significant money from SL? At least it will boost the prospects for the people who have landscaping businesses.

It's not just people wanting to buy full regions, there is a bigger picture here.

My fiancé and I are looking for 1/2 homestead and while I searched for two days: NOTHING. The Estate managers I've spoken said they don't have any available anymore. When I asked how that's possible, they gave me LL's link about the current situation.
The only options are smaller parcels or a complete island (homestead / full region).
That's just not what we want, so we simply wait until LL is able to offer new regions again and in the meantime we are renting a rental house.

11 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

5 halve HS here also some full HS

https://blog.zoha-islands.com/homestead-land-all/

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Thank you, both! It seems like I've searched the wrong way.

Although I appreciate it, it doesn't really matter anymore, bc we already found our temporary solution
and for us there is more to it than just the search and that's not really relevant to this topic.

I do however wonder how Estates get new regions. Do they buy them from LL? How does that work? 

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

IF they need new ones they indeed buy them like you or me would do :)

these however are ended rentals so come available again.

I've never bought a region, only rented parcels. So I assumed that regions are only owned by estates (not individual residents).
How do you buy a region as an individual? (I don't want to rent from an estate / have a landlord anymore, due to bad experiences. We want to own our own region and basically be our own estate/landlord)

2 hours ago, Sylangel said:

I've never bought a region, only rented parcels. So I assumed that regions are only owned by estates (not individual residents).
How do you buy a region as an individual? (I don't want to rent from an estate / have a landlord anymore, due to bad experiences. We want to own our own region and basically be our own estate/landlord)

Individual people can buy private regions also.  If LL was currently selling them, you'd buy them from your account page.  Even if land was available, nobody can buy a Homestead from LL unless they already own at least one region.

• Like 1

Individuals can buy full regions from Estates, too, where the Lab transfers ownership (for a fee) to the new owner, who effectively becomes their own "Estate." This region transfer market very much favors the seller right now because the Lab isn't an alternative. I have no idea how one best finds these regions for transfer, but there's a subforum with a few examples.

Skimming a few of those listings, I wonder... once Uplift is over and the Lab looks again at how to improve the Land product, will it really retain the huge tier discount for grandfathered regions, or will all regions get those same lower tiers? And, of course, there's long been speculation that they may make Homesteads available to individuals who don't already own a full region, but that's still only speculation. Seems good timing for some changes, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Individuals can buy full regions from Estates, too, where the Lab transfers ownership (for a fee) to the new owner, who effectively becomes their own "Estate." This region transfer market very much favors the seller right now because the Lab isn't an alternative. I have no idea how one best finds these regions for transfer, but there's a subforum with a few examples.

Skimming a few of those listings, I wonder... once Uplift is over and the Lab looks again at how to improve the Land product, will it really retain the huge tier discount for grandfathered regions, or will all regions get those same lower tiers? And, of course, there's long been speculation that they may make Homesteads available to individuals who don't already own a full region, but that's still only speculation. Seems good timing for some changes, though.

I would like to see new different sim types and sizes.

Homestead

Normal

4x4 size @ 40000 prims

8x8 size @ 80000 prims

Probably never going to happen but i think just the 4x4 would kinda neat

Could be priced at the same cost as a full region is currently with full region pricing moving down to that of grandfathered

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And thus September was halfway gone

Updates from the lindens there are none

Four months have passed and we do not see

Any sodding land that's available to me

I could buy private, yes that's true

But the current owners...are charging through the roof

But this is bad poetry so what do I know

Not too much longer

Because this s*** is slow

Thank you, thank you *bows* *bows*. That was my contribution to "God Awful Poetry Friday"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

And thus September was halfway gone

Updates from the lindens there are none

Four months have passed and we do not see

Any sodding land that's available to me

I could buy private, yes that's true

But the current owners...are charging through the roof

But this is bad poetry so what do I know

Not too much longer

Because this s*** is slow

Thank you, thank you *bows* *bows*. That was my contribution to "God Awful Poetry Friday"

There's still plenty of abandoned land. There's cheap land in the Linden auctions. The locations aren't good, but some are at least roadside.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

There's still plenty of abandoned land. There's cheap land in the Linden auctions. The locations aren't good, but some are at least roadside.

if people who want private estates were interested in mainland there would't be a lot left.. but also as long it's to limited to own mainland regions, you can hardly do anything else than what a tiny parcel owner can... it won't get more interesting either.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if people who want private estates were interested in mainland there would't be a lot left.. but also as long it's to limited to own mainland regions, you can hardly do anything else than what a tiny parcel owner can... it won't get more interesting either.

Can you imagine if we could only own mainland parcels. No private regions at all. That would be hella crazy and so much cool stuff packed together

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.