Limited Availability of New Second Life Regions

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens
7 hours ago, Dema Fairport said:

Curious, If I want to upgrade the prim amount on my full region can I? from 20K to 30K or do I have to wait till the fall?

Thanks and Congrats LL

Yes, absolutely, we are still able to perform land impact upgrades on full regions. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, Dema Fairport said:

Curious, If I want to upgrade the prim amount on my full region can I? from 20K to 30K or do I have to wait till the fall?

Thanks and Congrats LL

My friend wanted to upgrade her homestead to a full region but was told she couldn't at this time due to limited availability, which sucks.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:06 PM, Derrick Linden said:

Yes, absolutely, we are still able to perform land impact upgrades on full regions. 

This is good to see.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Haggerty said:

Updates would be so nice eventually.

It is an ongoing project that we've already been told will take months and it is/was slated to be completed sometime this fall.  I wouldn't really expect any updates until mid-late fall.

59 minutes ago, JerichoAnomaly said:

So basically it amounts to this:  We realize this is a chance to grow Second Life exponentially but we cannot take advantage of it until most people are back to work and the chance for growth is over. 

We struck up a deal to sell LL .. and as part of that we had to stop growing SL by selling  regions  ?

10 hours ago, JerichoAnomaly said:

So basically it amounts to this:  We realize this is a chance to grow Second Life exponentially but we cannot take advantage of it until most people are back to work and the chance for growth is over. 

More likely: "We realized this is a chance for a lot of people to buy private regions they can't afford but we don't want to be stuck with a whole lot of excess hardware after they discover nobody cares about their generic club and nobody wants to buy the ten-year-old clothes from their affiliate vendors."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

but we don't want to be stuck with a whole lot of excess hardware

That's the crux of the matter of course. Nobody who runs any kind of IT service can afford to have a ton of spare servers standing by just in case there is a sudden unexpected big surge in activity. And if that surge is likely to be temporary, they'll be very reluctant to expand their capacity to cover it.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 5

On 7/14/2020 at 9:34 AM, ChinRey said:

That's the crux of the matter of course. Nobody who runs any kind of IT service can afford to have a ton of spare servers standing by just in case there is a sudden unexpected big surge in activity. And if that surge is likely to be temporary, they'll be very reluctant to expand their capacity to cover it.

I tend to agree with this statement. Regardless, I do hope they reopen soon. 

On 5/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, Mediev Nostram said:

Why would it take until the Fall to move sims from SL servers to AWS servers? 

Oh, is that's what's going on?

I knew they had a pause on releases but didn't realize they were moving to AWS.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the next year - that's not an easy task in the least...

Especially if they lack AWS specific engineers - which are folks that can command a lot of clout when it comes to salary negotiations.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:34 AM, ChinRey said:

Anyone who plays MMOs should know what this can look like from our side of things.

Plenty of online games that used to rapid expand to meet a surge demand, and then when the surge went down to normal found themselves in a budget shortfall due to having all the equipment lying around...

The move to AWS would let SL scale up and down with a lot more flexibility. Once they are on there, they can add or remove regions much easier. If we're lucky, we might see that reflected in the cost of regions... otherwise we'll see the cost savings reflected elsewhere - best case being more budget for another project or worst case for us: more payouts to investors.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

7 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Oh, is that's what's going on?

I knew they had a pause on releases but didn't realize they were moving to AWS.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the next year - that's not an easy task in the least...

Especially if they lack AWS specific engineers - which are folks that can command a lot of clout when it comes to salary negotiations.

The move to the cloud has been an ongoing project for quite a while now, well over a year.  That has a lot to do with why they are fairly sure they'll have it finished up this fall (i.e. this winter because IT never goes as actually planned).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The move to the cloud has been an ongoing project for quite a while now, well over a year.

In a sense even longer. They started moving assets delivery (but not sim handling) to the cloud as early as 2014.

• Like 3

Interesting remarks here, I came to the land forum to see why the land around me in horizons had quadrupled+ in sale price, and was all the sudden more filled with people than I've ever seen. I got my lots super cheap in comparison. 😁

Im excited about moving to AWS, it opens up possibilities for user customization of region capacities, sizes, performance, etc. LL will likewise have a lot more flexibility in what they can do, not just the ease of spinning up/down instances, but also we'll potentially get new types of instances. It will be interesting to see how they handle mainland evolution as well.

Anyhow, I wish the best of luck for LL in the cloud expansion, and continually increasing demand to match the new goodies. Long Live SL! 💚

• Haha 1

I wonder how much longer this is going to go on for, been like nearly three months. I want to reactivate my sim but annoyingly I can't. I hope its not until all services have been migrated to the cloud because this is LL we are talking about and that could be ETA 2030

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I wonder how much longer this is going to go on for, been like nearly three months. I want to reactivate my sim but annoyingly I can't. I hope its not until all services have been migrated to the cloud because this is LL we are talking about and that could be ETA 2030

buy one from a resident.. rename... ready

2 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Not to jinx it, but if you want to see how SL is doing, running entirely in the cloud, visit the Blake Sea regions on the beta grid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

When the announcement was made, based on various bits of info, we all knew it would be mid-late fall or possibly into winter.

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Where can I find a rez zone? I thought there was one near every sim corner but I couldn't find any.

I can't claim credit for finding these... from the server user group:

[2020/07/28 12:10]  Joe Magarac (animats): (If you visit the Blake see on the beta grid, there is a rez zone at secondlife://util.aditi.lindenlab.com/secondlife/Blake%20Sea%20-%20Beagle/224/235/35 )

[..]
[2020/07/28 12:12]  Yuzuru (yuzuru.jewell): Simon. I couldn't find rez zone on Blake Sea. Is there the rez zone to rez the ship on Blake Sea?
[2020/07/28 12:12]  Simon Linden: Joe just posted one
[2020/07/28 12:12]  Joe Magarac (animats): I just posted that.
[2020/07/28 12:12]  Simon Linden: There's one on Blake Sea - Japan
[2020/07/28 12:12]  Simon Linden: Another on Blake Sea - Baltic

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2020 at 3:24 PM, Qie Niangao said:

I can't claim credit for finding these... from the server user group:

Hey thanks for the link, it seems to be working but doesnt really allow to build more than a few min before autoreturn, prims are limited to 10m size, also cannot seem to TP out of there, as im sure you noticed. Part of the testing setup I suppose, but its cool to see it working. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.