Need Minimum Avatar Complexity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to patrol my regions in a boat and use maximum radar and map displays. To do this I need to have an alt on board which displays only radar and maps. Thus I need to create an alt with minimum avatar complexity to deal with sim crossing issues. Can someone advise me how to do that?

6 minutes ago, MarkTwain White said:

I want to patrol my regions in a boat and use maximum radar and map displays. To do this I need to have an alt on board which displays only radar and maps. Thus I need to create an alt with minimum avatar complexity to deal with sim crossing issues. Can someone advise me how to do that?

As a girlie, when I want to do things with minimal lag in world - I go into the library part of my inventory and "replace all" with the basic Ruth avatar (I forget what the male equivalent of that is, but I guess any of the basic library avatars will do). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkTwain White said:

I want to patrol my regions in a boat and use maximum radar and map displays. To do this I need to have an alt on board which displays only radar and maps.

I understand correctly that this alt will be alone in the boat, right?

You've gotten good advice about reducing avatar complexity, but for the purposes of sim crossings the most important thing about avatars is not to use any mesh attachments at all. (The same actually applies to sat-upon mesh, such as boats, but riding a single box prim might seem a bit eccentric.)

But complexity of appearance is by no means the largest problem in sim crossings, as I'm sure you're aware. You'll want to minimize scripts, too -- particularly script count, although there's some benefit to using only LSO-compiled scripts because of the almost instantaneous copying of the entire script state rather than needing to serialize Mono script data for transfer... and of course LSO scripts are limited to 16 KB compared to Mono's 64 KB, and I honestly don't know which is worse for sim crossing, one Mono script or more than one LSO script. Anyway, to the extent possible, scripts should be minimized.

If this is going to be a long term project, I'd advise stationing another alt in the crossed-into region, watching sim statistics during some crossings.

Finally, there may be other things about choosing an alt. I don't really think the size of Inventory makes much difference, but the length of the Friends list and especially the number of Group memberships could plausibly make a difference. These have been suggested in the past but I've never seen confirmation.

• Like 1

Qie,

A lot to be digested there. I will study it all. I will be in the boat as the skipper and the alt will be in the boat to display the radar and map. I just created her. She is RhondaRadar. She has cute sunglasses that she might keep on unless those can be shown to have noticeable negative effect. I will be working on getting scripts down for both myself and her.

Edited by MarkTwain White
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, MarkTwain White said:

I will be in the boat as the skipper and the alt will be in the boat to display the radar and map.

Hmm. It would go a lot more smoothly with just one person crossing the sim borders. I'm a little puzzled why it should need an avatar for the radar and map displays, but obviously I don't know details, requirements, etc.

• Like 1

the reason i need a seccond avatar is that I want a half screen of radar and a half screen of map. Rhonda Radar will fill that function on my right hand monitor while I skipper the boat with full view (not blocked by overlaying radar and map) from the left monitor. Thanks for the observation/question. I forgot to mention that I have a dual monitor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkTwain White said:

the reason i need a seccond avatar is that I want a half screen of radar and a half screen of map. Rhonda Radar will fill that function on my right hand monitor while I skipper the boat with full view (not blocked by overlaying radar and map) from the left monitor. Thanks for the observation/question. I forgot to mention that I have a dual monitor.

You can do this with a single avatar, and a single instance of SL.  It's quite possible to stretch the UI across dual monitors, and place windows and HUDs over there on the right hand one.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can do this with a single avatar, and a single instance of SL.  It's quite possible to stretch the UI across dual monitors, and place windows and HUDs over there on the right hand one.

Thanks for the idea Lindal. I'll give that a try but I always assumed that stretching a single avatar's view across two monitors would create a stretched out view. Is that not the case?

16 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Don't forget to shave your legs!
Absolutely critical to achieve minimum complexity. 
You"re welcome! 😊

We must be using different versions of SL. With the version I have I never have go to the bathroom, wash down the boat after a cruise, or shave my legs. And overtime things look and feels perfect. Besides I would look pretty silly with shaved legs. 😝

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, MarkTwain White said:

Thanks for the idea Lindal. I'll give that a try but I always assumed that stretching a single avatar's view across two monitors would create a stretched out view. Is that not the case?

Maybe yes, maybe no.  See: https://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2018/02/those-ultrawide-monitors.html

I'll be interested to hear what your results are with dual monitors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 7:56 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Maybe yes, maybe no.  See: https://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2018/02/those-ultrawide-monitors.html

I'll be interested to hear what your results are with dual monitors.

Thanks for writing and giving me a link to your article about dual monitors. While I was speaking of "dual monitors" only in the way of "I have two monitors". After your clarification and all the great suggestions about achieving minimum avatar complexity I decided to hone what I have been doing a long time. I have gone back to a single monitor and have practiced the use of the radar and big map to keep both active on the monitor but minimized. It has taken some practice but it is almost second nature to me now. Thanks to you input on the dual monitor and everyone else's advice on achieving minimum avatar complexity. 🤗 👌

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.