Trouble running viewers on linux with WINE

WingsOfPurity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I am trying to run a windows version of a viewer on linux mint using wine. I am attempting to do this because the linux version of SL viewer refuses to start, and Firestorm has texture thrashing issues in their linux version that have been unaddressed for years.

Anyways, whenever I try to run a windows version of SL viewer, Firestorm, Alchemy, Singularity, or CoolVL viewer, it comes up with a message saying this:

"Unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them."

My graphics card is Intel UHD Graphics 620. I have windows 10 installed on this same computer, and all the above viewers work in windows without failure. Any advice?

7 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, WingsOfPurity said:

Hi, I am trying to run a windows version of a viewer on linux mint using wine. I am attempting to do this because the linux version of SL viewer refuses to start, and Firestorm has texture thrashing issues in their linux version that have been unaddressed for years.

Anyways, whenever I try to run a windows version of SL viewer, Firestorm, Alchemy, Singularity, or CoolVL viewer, it comes up with a message saying this:

"Unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them."

My graphics card is Intel UHD Graphics 620. I have windows 10 installed on this same computer, and all the above viewers work in windows without failure. Any advice?

Can you run any 3D programs on Linux with that card?

First try "glxgears", which is a minimal OpenGL test, under Linux. You should see some rotating gears. If that doesn't work, you have no OpenGL support under Linux. You need to install some driver in Linux for your GPU.

If that works, try loading "The Valley" under Linux. This is a 2013  demo of Unreal Engine meant to exercise graphics hardware. It shows a large, very pretty valley with trees and mountains, and you can move around. There's nothing to do except look; it's purely a graphics test. If that runs and looks good, Second Life should run fine.

Wine can only do things your Linux can do. It does not run graphics drivers; it just calls what your Linux installation has.

3 minutes ago, WingsOfPurity said:

glxgears and the valley both worked.

OK, your machine is in great shape to run SL. No idea why Wine on Mint Linux has a problem. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and that works.  Try Mint Linux support.

10 hours ago, animats said:

First try "glxgears", which is a minimal OpenGL test, under Linux. You should see some rotating gears. If that doesn't work, you have no OpenGL support under Linux. You need to install some driver in Linux for your GPU.

If that works, try loading "The Valley" under Linux. This is a 2013  demo of Unreal Engine meant to exercise graphics hardware. It shows a large, very pretty valley with trees and mountains, and you can move around. There's nothing to do except look; it's purely a graphics test. If that runs and looks good, Second Life should run fine.

Wine can only do things your Linux can do. It does not run graphics drivers; it just calls what your Linux installation has.

I am able to run the linux version of firestorm (even with all its texture thrashing, it otherwise runs normally,) the old linux version of alchemy viewer, blender, both linux and windows versions of dolphin (nintendo wii emulator,) and several other programs that I forget. I am on my phone now, but will follow your suggestions once I get home. I definitely have OpenGL support. I suspect that it has something to do with how wine or the windows versions of SL detect hardware.

Edited by WingsOfPurity

On 5/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, animats said:

glxgears and the valley both worked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.