How do you feel if strangers come into your SL home unexpectedly?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i agree that Linden could make some informational changes to the viewer

possibly making LDPW and Governor Linden parcel boundaries show in a color of its own, thereby marking public land to be more clearly distinguishable from private land when boundaries are turned on

another marker could be in the viewer address bar.  LDPW and Governor Linden owned land to have a text tag: Public land:  All other parcels tagged in the address bar as Private land

edit add: this could be extended to private estates as well, as a estate control.  Parcels owned by this account (or accounts) are tagged Public. All other parcels owned by other accounts are tagged Private

Hmmmm... public/LL land in green... stores/venues in yellow and private in red. 

Yellow for caution as there may be home space on the parcel somewhere along with the store.

Don't need text tags... color icons instead. See at a glance rather than having to read. 

Color coded parcel boundaries.  I like it.

• Like 2

I recommend: Enable damage on your parcel, plant an adequate number of land mines, then a 500m high electric fence with push and kill, also effective AA batteries. Also, one can never have enough guns, in case the personal protection HUD, the orbiter and the killer bot in your closet fail. if anything goes wrong, start the world destruction machine and blow up everything and enjoy the particle fallout.

Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vivienne Schell said:

I recommend: Enable damage on your parcel, plant an adequate number of land mines, then a 500m high electric fence with push and kill, also effective AA batteries. Also, one can never have enough guns, in case the personal protection HUD, the orbiter and the killer bot in your closet fail. if anything goes wrong, start the world destruction machine and blow up everything and enjoy the particle fallout.

Problem solved.

And you just got banned from the grid for griefing. 

Yeah... no. People need to get over the "survival of the fittest" bs.

21 minutes ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

I think at least part of the divide is between those who have opinions on whether this is real or not real.  Those of us who experience this as a personal environment and not 'merely' a game, feel protective of 'our' space.  Those who say 'it's just pixels' believe they have a right to move freely... even if other people put time and effort into spaces they want to enjoy. 

The interesting thing about this is that ALL life is a chemical process and all EXPERIENCE is in our minds.  So what is real and what is unreal is very murky.  How we feel when someone violates us here is not that different from when it happens in the physical world.  This is because our ego, our emotions, our mind... the chemical processes that we undergo when we have any experiences... they all occur wherever we are.  We cannot leave them behind.  Therefore, we can be hurt here... even if 'damage' is 'off'. 

What gobsmacks me is that those who view a pixel world as unreal, and therefor judge our subjective experience or feelings about a pixel world as unreal and unimportant, use their own subjective feelings to justify doing whatever they damm well please!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Sigh...I tried.

ok I admit it. Your meme went over my head. I have no clue what it was supposed to mean. Something about Bollywood? or some soap opera I know nothing about because I never watch them? ok ok There was the one I watched for one season because I thought they were bringing Tabitha Stevens back and they did have Doctor Bombay!

Yeah. I'm at a complete loss as to your meaning. 🥴

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, we've pretty much established that the two camps for this issue haven't changed their minds.

Thanks for coming, everybody, we'll have to do it again soon!

Maybe you missed this one too, Selene.  I was trying, in my own ineffective way, to say we'd discussed this one to death.  Again.

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I was trying, in my own ineffective way, to say we'd discussed this one to death.  Again.

But we have to solve the problem so that everyone can sing Kumbaya together!   I'm sure we will attain this by the end of the weekend right?     :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

Maybe you missed this one too, Selene.  I was trying, in my own ineffective way, to say we'd discussed this one to death.  Again.

No, didn't miss it. Just didn't connect it. I'm not seeing how the meme connects to that post. It's not in English/Lakota and I don't recognize the actors.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

Fortunately, those of us who want privacy have ways of ensuring it.  Those who've an opinion they should be able to trample our peace can be excluded and if they cry selfish, I will simply laugh, and change my pixel clothes unmolested.  The attitudes that have been demonstrated are further evidence that our need for privacy and controls is real.  I'm not interested in proving that I'm better or superior or right.  I just intend to police my personal space.  What others do in their space, in public spaces, of which there are many and empty... i have no objection nor opinion.  I will not allow them to have objection or opinion to what I want to be able to do behind my paid for personal space, digital or otherwise.

I think at least part of the divide is between those who have opinions on whether this is real or not real.  Those of us who experience this as a personal environment and not 'merely' a game, feel protective of 'our' space.  Those who say 'it's just pixels' believe they have a right to move freely... even if other people put time and effort into spaces they want to enjoy. 

The interesting thing about this is that ALL life is a chemical process and all EXPERIENCE is in our minds.  So what is real and what is unreal is very murky.  How we feel when someone violates us here is not that different from when it happens in the physical world.  This is because our ego, our emotions, our mind... the chemical processes that we undergo when we have any experiences... they all occur wherever we are.  We cannot leave them behind.  Therefore, we can be hurt here... even if 'damage' is 'off'. 

And since I won't solve the internet today... I'm gonna go off and live in the dangerousness of that other world for a bit.  After all, it's that world that pays for my internet.  In SL I may some day make the money I need to sustain that... which tells me there's 'real' here, even if SL money won't make me rich. Forums such as this can be a place for exchange and we can all learn from each other, if we're willing... but I cannot fix you and you cannot fix me.  And that is (probably) a really good thing!! 😜

Speaking only for myself: it has nothing whatsoever to do with viewing Second Life as 'real' or not. I pay for the parcel (be it renting from a user or paid directly to Linden Lab) and thus I get to determine if I want guests or not.

It is why I have things set up the way I described much earlier in the thread. It is why I would - if I could afford one - make a section of an entire User Owned Sim (calling them all Private Islands is a misnomer to me) locked off from Public Use. In whatever manner was most effective for the overall theme (meaning you may be free to wander through that segment while on the ground but find yourself being ejected at a higher altitude).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

No, didn't miss it. Just didn't connect it. I'm not seeing how the meme connects to that post. It's not in English/Lakota and I don't recognize the actors.

Sigh.  "Go Home!  The party's over!"

39 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

And you just got banned from the grid for griefing. 

Yeah... no. People need to get over the "survival of the fittest" bs.

No one will ban me for claiming my right to protect my bloody privacy effectively! Also, there will be no grid left once i am done with that.

/me chuckles

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

No one will ban me for claiming my right to protect my bloody privacy effectively! Also, there will be no grid left once i am done with that.

/me chuckles

You wouldn't be the first to be banned for misusing "tools" on the grid and you wouldn't be the last.  The "no grid left" part is a threat that is legally actionable. Personally, taking the grid down isn't worth spending time in jail over.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The "no grid left" part is a threat that is legally actionable. Personally, taking the grid down isn't worth spending time in jail over.

I am not overly impressed by governor lindens personal dungeon.

But yeah, as an alternative, i will take it over instead of taking it down. Then enable gridwide damage, plant an adequate number of land mines around it, then a 500m high electric fence with push and kill, also effective AA batteries. Also, one can never have enough guns, in case the personal protection HUD, the orbiter and the killer bot in my closet fail. if anything goes wrong, i´d start the world destruction machine and blow up everything and enjoy the particle fallout.

Edited by Vivienne Schell

1 minute ago, Vivienne Schell said:

I am not overly impressed by governor lindens personal dungeon.

But yeah, as an alternatibe, i will take it over instead of taking it down. Then enable gridwide damage, plant an adequate number of land mines around it, then a 500m high electric fence with push and kill, also effective AA batteries. Also, one can never have enough guns, in case the personal protection HUD, the orbiter and the killer bot in your closet fail. if anything goes wrong, i´d start the world destruction machine and blow up everything and enjoy the particle fallout.

I'm not impressed.

Lame troll is lame.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Locked doors don't keep out anyone who knows the sit hack, which is usually most people over 90 days old. But most people in fact accept that you can't walk into a house and in fact don't. 

I never thought of that "the sit hack".  

But, in regards to the security orb.  When I was new I was only outside the yard and by the fence when I was kicked out and I only wanted to look at it because it was a lovely home.  I thought it was rude to kick someone who is only looking at a home on the sim's pathway, not even the home's pathway.  By sim's pathway I mean, a sim of a rent-a-house sim with a lot of houses.  This is the main sim's pathway, not the home owner's pathway.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

6 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

security orb

These things are lame. They do not generate blood particles. Also, a burglar should have a fair chance to steal my money or the precious necklace my 125th lover gifted me for rezday, before i killed him.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

These things are lame. They do not generate blood particles. Also, a burglar should have a fair chance to steal my money or the precious necklace my 125th lover gifted me for rezday, before i killed him.

Prolly...lol.  Well, probably not set correctly then on a rent-a-house kind of sim with a lot of houses.  The surrounding landscapes are too pretty sometimes not to take a stroll every now and then but don't get too close or the orbs kick.  Silly for these kinds of sims.  I like to visit with the neighbors when we can via sim events or such.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.